Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: amp:s

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Yuri:

Lets cut the BS, many, many moths ago You offered to send one of Your amps, tel calls etc, please do not use this serious forums to promote, OK?

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
    Yuri:

Lets cut the BS, many, many moths ago You offered to send one of Your amps, tel calls etc, please do not use this serious forums to promote, OK?
    A/ The Mexican "distributor" disappeared in the clouds so how can I send an amplifier for evaluation. You can ask Scott to put you on the list if you are interested in reviewing a PSS amplifier!

Is this promoting?

B/ You are not the right person to recall something, unless you became a moderator!

Why not?

Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
    Yuri:

Umm, Alex, this is the OFF Topic section, and I think its OK to promote all things audio!

In the Marketplace section other sellers JBL wares are promoted all the time!

The truth be known, I have read about PSS amps for quite some years now, in Sono magazine, but if Yuri hadnt self promoted his amp to me, I never would have known how good they are!

His amps are serious enough to warrant discussion, reveiw, and promotion in this serious forum!

Thank you very much.

Figge

Quad 405

any one have opinions about this amp?

i borrowed it from my dad and hooked up with my 4430:s and i can say right off that it whiped the floor with my interM (and pretty much every other amp iīve heard) in every way , even tough the interm has twice the power! however it dont have much punch! on my 2235:s but it sounds nice and clear way down in the bass. it sounds very warm and "english" if u know what i mean? a very nice sounding and very compact amp!
    my first thought when hooked up was "how can this little amp sound so much?" it handles relatively high volumes exelent! without sounding hard/strained or harsh!

the interM however did the opposit! therefore it qualifies in ianīs grungy amp thread!
    Last edited by Figge; 07-18-2004 at 01:02 PM.

PSS AUDIO

Re: Quad 405

Originally posted by Figge
    any one have opinions about this amp?

Excelent amplifier, can even be tuned to get more out of it!

In the late 70's, it was a killer!

Figge
    hi yuri!

first time i hear u say that about an other amp!

but this one is GOOD!!! it can play three times the volume the interm did without sounding strained! the interm sounded like crap from the first watt! and as i can see there are no number in each amps specs that explains why. so yuris statement about numbers are just to sell are correct! there can be no other explanation than: numbers means nothing. they are just there to make ppl look at them (not listen) before they decides what to buy.

in this case a 30yr old 100wpc beats the hell out of a new (as in still for sale) 200wpc even in powerhandling!

explain this by numbers? dont think so! buildquality is what counts! period.

the interm has even better specs than the quad, and twice the quads rated 2x100 @ 8ohm. but the quad TOTALY kills the interm in every way! i really dont understand where the 200Wpc in the interm goes! when playing it sounds strained from the start and when pushed u just want to turn it off! but the quad sounds totally clean unstrained and all the little details are there at FURNITUREMOVING levels!!.and it feels like it just wants more!!UNBELIEVEBLE!!! for a 100watt amp!!

should be rather intressting to hear the real heavy stuff u guys use!
    Last edited by Figge; 07-19-2004 at 05:29 AM.

Figge
    For those who doesnt know, and are intressted here is the quad 405. i was fooled by its size at first...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Figge
    i found this old beatup amp at a yard-sale for 20 bucks...it appears to be working...and its heavy as hell!

" MM electronics manufactured in england by Paice" it says on it...
    cant find ANYTHING about it on the www

does anyone know anything about it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Figge; 08-17-2004 at 02:17 PM.

Figge
    ok there are four 2N6254 transistors per channel...does this tell anything about the power of this thing?

PSS AUDIO
    ok there are four 2N6254 transistors per channel...does this tell anything about the power of this thing?
    Something like 100W, but keep you QUAD it will always sound better than this MM amplifier!

Figge
    iīm not expecting any miracles with it...but $20 i just couldnt resist!

i just couldnt resist!
    This once was the forum motto, but we had to go underground with it.

Figge
    Originally posted by speakerdave
    but we had to go underground with it.

why?

ok so no one knows anything about it? but does someone know where i could find somethinī aboot it? or some place i can ask about it?

Last edited by Figge; 08-18-2004 at 06:50 AM.

your new amp

Hi Figge,

congratulations for this amp....I like it. Remembers me to my "amp building" aera (which lasts about 10 years). This aera was replaced by my "wifey" aera which is going on.

The 6254 shows a P(tot) of 150W and a Uce(max) of 80V.
    That may give a chance for about 120 to 150W at 8 Ohms.
    Please look whats the voltage of the power supply for the output amp stages.....The heatsinks of your amp look like good for max 100W.

HP

PS: saw your PM ......use the high impedance for MM systems and the 30 or 40 Ohms only for MC systems.
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Figge

Re: your new amp

Originally posted by Hofmannhp
    The heatsinks of your amp look like good for max 100W.

there is a fan in the back of the sinks also...it was REALLY noisy so i cut the cables the bearings were probably busted!

use the high impedance for MM systems and the 30 or 40 Ohms only for MC systems

found the 100Kohm setting was best for my pickup...

where do i meashure the volt?
    theres 3 cables 1. ground 2. +55V 3. -55V
    Last edited by Figge; 08-18-2004 at 10:54 AM.

Thread Information