Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: amp:s

Figge
    hi hp

maybe its not a good hifi amp?

i have not forgotten...just waiting till the last 20min...to make the attack!

Figge
    how about the G.A.S Ampzilla? anyone experienced with this?

ok

Originally posted by Figge
    hi hp
    maybe its not a good hifi amp?
    i have not forgotten...just waiting till the last 20min...to make the attack!
    Hi Figge,
    thats fine.....do the attack....

then:

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

GAS

how about the G.A.S Ampzilla? anyone experienced with this?
    it's me again,

the G.A.S. is a very vintage model..... but not that bad....heard one about 18 years ago...but can't compare after such a long time.

Whats about a Mac or an Accuphase E 306.....both very expensive...you have to wait for an ebay steal.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Figge
    thanx hp! you are allways prepared for service

ok any experience with the swedish LAB.Gruppen amps? seem to be very popular! and resonable prices!

btw hp! those 2310:s are now yers! i just gotta get them shipped to me first.

....ok any experience with the swedish LAB.Gruppen amps? seem to be very popular! and resonable prices!
    btw hp! those 2310:s are now yers! i just gotta get them shipped to me first.
    Hey Figge,

GREAT.....

SUUUUPER

Let me know the complete cost incl. shipping and I send you my shipping adress....ok. can I pay to you with PayPal....if yes tell me please the cost in € or USD, cause PayPal got no swedish currency.

HP

Thanks a lot for your help

PS: ...sorry no, I don't know the LAB.Gruppen,...all I know is that if you look for vintage stuff as amp, keep the hands off some Marantz power amps (some are for ) I use a Bose 1801 and a Crown Macrotech 2401 and are very satisfied.

RIP 2009
    any experience with the swedish LAB.Gruppen amps? seem to be very popular! and resonable prices!
    Not a direct experience, but the sound company I used to work for used to be an all Crest shop, but they've since added a bunch of LAB.Gruppen, (sp?), amps. They're the only switching amplifier they've found that has a sonic quality that's good enough to compete in the same class as the Crest pro series. Because of the switching power supply they're much lighter in weight than your standard A/B amps, etc..

John

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by johnaec
    ... Because of the switching power supply they're much lighter in weight than your standard A/B amps, etc..

John
    But they will NEVER, what ever brand you will listen at, compete with either a class A (no one will use them for PA) or A/B amplifiers.

Why?

Power supply (transformer, bridge and mains capacitors) makes at least half of the sound of an amplifier (and a pre amplifier).

Figge
    They're the only switching amplifier they've found that has a sonic quality that's good enough to compete in the same class as the Crest pro series.

see i knew they were fine amps. made in sweden eh! i think yuri is right thogh. with the coment about transformers and bridges. makes sense. (for hifi that is)

i think i got it now! switching = bad, nonswitching = good. (for hifi)
    Last edited by Figge; 07-12-2004 at 01:53 PM.

RIP 2009
    Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
    But they will NEVER, what ever brand you will listen at, compete with either a class A (no one will use them for PA) or A/B amplifiers.
    As far as I know nothing will truly compete with a class A down to the finest details. But sometimes, when you're dragging 40 or 50 amps around the country on tour, compromises have to be made for practical logistics. The same thing is true with concert speaker cabinets - you're often limited in space, setup time, etc. Now for permanent installations, without a doubt, class A would be a worthy design goal...

That sound company did say they tested a lot of different amps, and certainly had the pick of the crop, but found the Lab.gruppen was the only switching amp they would work with. And they found them better sounding than a lot of non-switching amps...

Edit: BTW - they don't carry a full 40 or 50 Lab.gruppens along on tour, rather, they are part of the mix. They're also using Crest and Crown. I haven't asked what part of the spectrum the Lab.gruppens are covering.

John
    Last edited by johnaec; 07-12-2004 at 07:31 PM.

Edit: BTW - they don't carry a full 40 or 50 Lab.gruppens along on tour, rather, they are part of the mix. They're also using Crest and Crown. I haven't asked what part of the spectrum the Lab.gruppens are covering.

John

I would venture a guess that the Labs are not powering sub or low freq information.

My experience was they were not robust enough for sub info.They were also rather finikey about current demands when used for low freq info.

For mids and hi end they rocked.

I thought they sounded like all of the other switching amps.

Reasonable prices???? Not in this country!!

Oldmics

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Oldmics
    ... My experience was they were not robust enough for sub info.They were also rather finikey about current demands when used for low freq info. ... Reasonable prices???? Not in this country!!

Oldmics
    Hi,

In France and Switzerland LAB GRUPEN amplifiers are VERY expensive too, they have a name and when you real the literature given with you may think that they are rock solid!

I am very pleased reading that in the subs they are not.

PSS AUDIO
    But sometimes, when you're dragging 40 or 50 amps around the country on tour, compromises have to be made for practical logistics.

That sound company did say they tested a lot of different amps, and certainly had the pick of the crop, but found the Lab.gruppen was the only switching amp they would work with. And they found them better sounding than a lot of non-switching amps...

John
    I do agree, one must make compromises and carrying 50 switching amplifiers is easier than 50 AB amplifiers delivering the same power.

But this will make "noise" not real music as NO switching amplifier can play what I call good music!

The LAB GRUPEN is perhaps the less worse switching amplifier on the market!

I agree

Last summer they brought a ride down here from Germany, and it had a sound system, and they had the Lab Gruppen amps.

I thought the full range part of the system had a nice sound to it, but his subs were thin sounding, lacking balls, and that whoomp you can get out of a crest or crown! The guy who had this ride swore by the Labs, and he came over to my place and he looked at my amps, and I played him a record, and the bass was too intense for him. He looked at the amps running the subs, which were the Crown PSA-2,s at that time, and just couldnt understand how I got all that bass, because according to everything he knows about audio, those PSA-2,s had NO POWER! And of course, if you read the specs on that old Crown, it doesnt have power, compared to the specs on many of todays amplifiers! I smiled and told him, If it dont weigh enough, It cant play enough! he says NO, the lightweight amps are good! I said, OK, you got yours, but it aint like mine!

The Labs were recommended to me to run fifteens, and so were the Chevin Research amps, from the UK! But I dont know, I like big heavy amps, with big power supplies!

This was why I chose Crest Pro Series when I had to make a move! of all the new technology amps, these sound good to me! Except for the older amps from crown and BGW, only the Crests had the tonality on subs I wanted! Even a high powered QSC didnt give me what I wanted.

In conversation earlier today, with a sound guy who came by to hear what Im doing, also said everyone is going to crest for bass these days!

Figge

Re: I agree

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    lacking balls

makes sense! look at a volvo! this is how things are done here in sweden
    Last edited by Figge; 07-13-2004 at 01:16 AM.

Thread Information