Thread: Matching speakers to an Amp.

Matching speakers to an Amp.

I own a couple of JRX125 speakers and would like to purchase an Amplifier. The speakers' power is 500 watts (1000 peak) at 4 ohms. My candidate PA is a Yamaha P7000S which delivers 1,100W per channel at 4 ohms.
    Can I use this PA without burning neither the amp nor the speakers?

Thank you,

It depends on how responsible you are with the system. If you use a clean source and limit the low frequencies a bit then quite a bit of power can be sent to the speakers, and a large amp such as this one has enough overhead where it won't distort and damage tweeters.

But if you try and drive the woofers with too much bass something is going to break, Ideally, if you need 1100 watts of power consider a subwoofer system to augment the mains. Use a smaller amp for the main speakers and cross them over around 100 hz so the amp (and speakers) do not handle the bass.

Drive a decent sub woofer system with the big amp. Match the amp up with a 600 watt 18 inch driver (or two) and you should have enough bang.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Like duaneage said, with this amp you CAN damage your speakers in no time if you're not careful.
    Give this kit to a careless DJ and he will have them done by midnight

Is this for a home or SR use?

Isn't it "easier" to damage speakers with small amps that are driven hard to the point where they "clip" the signal and cause the speakers to emmit a distorted signal?

My thoughts would be you are far less likely to damage speakers if you are using a big amp than you would if you are using a small one.

I beleive the Yamies have a good reputation but this amp is probably old and electronic components don't last forever. How was this amp used before you came to own it?

The drivers that are at risk the most are tweeters and not woofers; right?

Proper crossover and box design are important considerations for protection of woofers, however.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I think we've been down this road before. My memory tells me nothing you'd want in your living room and only recommended for SR is you don't have anything better at your disposal.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I have a few SR systems that are now in furniture grade cabs and some others in factory trim in my basement so this is not a dumb question.

I suppose any moron could take a given amp and eventually destroy a pair of speakers.

My only point is that amp clipping is a common cause of failure and driving a big amp into clipping is harder.

Anyway, we have all seen questions asking if a particular amp is too big, so I was kinda surprised about the earlier responces.

...No harm taken ....no harm intended!

If you can find a pair SR4732s, they are nice.

The SR4732 was the best sounding speaker of this line of speakers. They sounded like studio monitors. Yes in my living room I would put them.
    I have never found that an amp was too big!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post

Isn't it "easier" to damage speakers with small amps that are driven hard to the point where they "clip" the signal and cause the speakers to emmit a distorted signal?

My thoughts would be you are far less likely to damage speakers if you are using a big amp than you would if you are using a small one.

I beleive the Yamies have a good reputation but this amp is probably old and electronic components don't last forever. How was this amp used before you came to own it?

The drivers that are at risk the most are tweeters and not woofers; right?

Proper crossover and box design are important considerations for protection of woofers, however.
    This is correct. If you fed those speakers a pure sine wave low frequency signal at full amplifier power...you could overheat the voice coils by exceeding the heat dissipation limit of the LF drivers. That amp would also get really hot. However on peaks, that speaker is rated to 1000 watts...even 2000 watts on one spec sheet I've seen. I doubt you'll have any problems unless you push things over the top. Clean power is far safer than distorted power from an over driven amplifier.

The amp probably would not be my first choice for this system but it is not because it is too big. Rather, old amps can loose components and sometimes dump DC into the output and damage speakers. This amp may have a DC protection circuit but if it does, I'm not sure I would necessarily trust it either.

Thread Information