Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone have any Info on the "RodSpeaker"

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I remember the Rod Stewart speaker ads too.

At the time the ads came out I had a VOTT system with 416As woofers, 806 compression drivers and 811 horns that were purchased new in 1974. Later in 1977, I added JBL 077 slot tweeters and networks to extend the UHF response.

I'm not sure why Altec did not put the super tweets into production but they made a few tragic mistakes that, unfortunately, eventually led to their ruin.

Great designs and products are critical but bad management will destroy a business faster than anything else.
    That's for sure they ruled the motion picture sound for half a century.Unfortunately they didn't know how to run a business.Because in my opinion they made the best.Western Electric invented most of the drivers,Altec Lansing perfected them,and Jbl's are just copies of Altec's but Altec management sucked,if they were any good I would still be buying Altec Gear and not on eBay. Robert did you get those plans I posted on the model 19 cabinet plans.Regards ~ AB

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    ...Jbl's are just copies of Altec's...
    Ehhhhh ....

I think they both had their fair share of successes, but a little history always helps to frame the context in which it might be far too easy to make gross over-generalizations as well.

http://www.jblpro.com/company/history/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Ehhhhh ....

I think they both had their fair share of successes, but a little history always helps to frame the context in which it might be far too easy to make gross over-generalizations as well.

http://www.jblpro.com/company/history/
    Sorry Mike no offense I forgot this site is mostly JBl fans.I am and always will be a Altec Fan there isn't a JBL speaker on the planet that has the CLARITY of Altec. But keep in mind that is my Opinion.And I'm sure your opinion is for JBL that's what makes the world go around if we all liked and did the same things this world would be quite BORING IF I OFFENED YOU MY APOLOGIES Regards ~ AB

I am and always will be a Altec Fan there isn't a JBL speaker on the planet that has the CLARITY of Altec.
    Hi John,

Like yourself....I too am an Altec disciple....model 19 in particular....but have you ever heard JBL's L-300 summit? Granted they are not easy to come by for an audition for obvious reasons, but you'd do yourself a favor in hearing a set someday if you can. Not tryin to sway you away from Altec...lord knows!.....just sayin'!

It is difficult for me to explain, and it may not make sense.....but I prefer my Altec nineteens over JBL L-300's......even though I consider the L-300 a superior system in many ways.

Russ

Electronic blue prints for Altec cabs

AltecBest:
    Yeh, thanks. I found a cite that has electronic versions of blue prints for Altec cabs here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/id14.html

I now own about ten JBL systems including several with compression drivers and I can say none of the JBL products have a more natural clear sound and more dynamic range as the old Altec VOTT.

On that note, I attribute the superior dynamic range of Altecs to their ultra high sensativity.

Thats why I'm building a pair of Model 19s as my next project.

AltecBest:
    Yeh, thanks. I found a cite that has electronic versions of blue prints for Altec cabs here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/id14.html

I now own about ten JBL systems including several with compression drivers and I can say none of the JBL products have a more natural clear sound and more dynamic range as the old Altec VOTT.

On that note, I attribute the superior dynamic range of Altecs to their ultra high sensativity.

Thats why I'm building a pair of Model 19s as my next project.
    Robert you won't be disappointed I have done blind sound tests in my listening room with many differant people comparing my Klipsch Cornwall II's and my model 19's and the model 19's come out on top everytime the people I make sure they can't see the speakers and then I play differant music switching between speakers A & B and everyone thinks the 19's sound better. Regards ~ AB

Quote Originally Posted by RussinOhio View Post
    Hi John,

Like yourself....I too am an Altec disciple....model 19 in particular....but have you ever heard JBL's L-300 summit? Granted they are not easy to come by for an audition for obvious reasons, but you'd do yourself a favor in hearing a set someday if you can. Not tryin to sway you away from Altec...lord knows!.....just sayin'!

It is difficult for me to explain, and it may not make sense.....but I prefer my Altec nineteens over JBL L-300's......even though I consider the L-300 a superior system in many ways.

Russ
    Hi Russ, no I never had the pleasure of hearing the L-300's I stopped searching for speakers when I brought the 19's through the door into my home.And thought this is all I'll ever need and after Dave rebuilt my XO's they are sounding better than ever.I can't stress that enough if there are people out there with original Crossovers still in there 19's change them(Capacitors & Resistors) you won't beleive the differance I was floored after installing them no break-in needed here.WoW I am now looking for another set of 19's for obvious reasons Regards ~ JOHN

That are close to my home for shipping reasons and I want the Oak veneers.

Sorry Mike no offense I forgot this site is mostly JBLfans.I am and always will be a Altec Fan there isn't a JBL speaker on the planet that has the CLARITY of Altec. But keep in mind that is my Opinion.And I'm sure your opinion is for JBL that's what makes the world go around if we all liked and did the same things this world would be quite BORING IF I OFFEND YOU MY APOLOGIES Regards ~ AB
    Well, opinion is your right, of course, but bad facts deserve to be corrected.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Well, opinion is your right, of course, but bad facts deserve to be corrected.
    They are not bad facts !!!!!!!!!! They are my preferences from my Ears !!! As yours are for no doubt JBL. My listening room sounds fantastic and that is all that matters to me.Regards ~ AB

I've listened to many L300s and they are a truly great American classic. To my ears, they are very flat in frequence response from top to bottom.

The Altec VOTTs, however, sound more realistic to my ear and the most compelling difference between these two is the superior dynamic range of the VOTT.

In addition, if you like very loud music, the Altecs out shine in this category too. In a home setting, these babies can get very loud and not show any signs of stress.

One shorfall is that they trail off pretty fast above 12kHz. I've used the 077 slots to augment UHF and this arrangement works well.

I've listened to many L300s and they are a truly great American classic. To my ears, they are very flat in frequence response from top to bottom.

The Altec VOTTs, however, sound more realistic to my ear and the most compelling difference between these two is the superior dynamic range of the VOTT.

In addition, if you like very loud music, the Altecs out shine in this category too. In a home setting, these babies can get very loud and not show any signs of stress.

One shorfall is that they trail off pretty fast above 12kHz. I've used the 077 slots to augment UHF and this arrangement works well.
    Robert, Good point now that is one area that I feel that JBL has a better driver is the tweets as Altec didn't beleive in tweets much that is why most of their systems have been 2-way which I feel was a mistake they should have dealt with those frequencies alittle better than just using 1 driver for the mids and highs.But they didn't have more problems with their XO's when using a 2- way system.Jbl 077 Tweets is one of the finest tweeters ever made. AB

Rick Riccio Rules

I made some scans:
    Name:  RODSPEAKER_top_AD002.jpg
Views: 3640
Size:  133.1 KB

Name:  RODSPEAKER_zoom003.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  RODSPEAKER_Bottom_AD001.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  136.4 KB

Might that "supertweeter" just be a 1" driver bolted to the back of a plate?
    Have seen that done before on $$$$ monitors of yore. Not that I care all
    that much... just looking at visual clues, especially in the lightened up
    enlargement. :dont-know

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Might that "supertweeter" just be a 1" driver bolted to the back of a plate?
    Looks like it to me... and with that bolt pattern it would likely be an 800 series Altec beaming right into Rod's knees.

I have no idea if that speaker system was any good, but I am certain that in the photo at least, it was not placed optimally for any serious listening. Overall I do think the Model 19 with the larger 511 horn would likely be the best Altec ever, and if this system was implemented with a proper super tweeter and the JBL 4435 style bass management, I think a really excellent speaker would be possible.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post
    I made some scans:
    Name:  RODSPEAKER_top_AD002.jpg
Views: 3640
Size:  133.1 KB

Name:  RODSPEAKER_zoom003.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  RODSPEAKER_Bottom_AD001.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  136.4 KB
    No
    Last edited by Altec Best; 10-31-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: To make everyone Happy

Thread Information