Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone have any Info on the "RodSpeaker"

Does Anyone have any Info on the "RodSpeaker"

Does anyone have any information on the Altec Lansing "Rodspeaker" it came with 2 416 a 511E horn so it probably had a 288 and also a supertweeter I would like to build something like that I have all the componets Drivers,Horns,etc... But need some info on the overall all dimensions it looks like it had a dual port on each side of the 416 but I personally don't know too much about the speaker itself is there anyone out there that knows anything about this speaker would be greatly APPRECIATED and Thank You for any help anyone could provide Regards ~ A B

I find there's enough legible info on that scan to identify the person responsible for creating this custom speaker .

Download the pic & enlarge it some .

It reads ; "When Rod moved into his new home, he wanted the best speakers he could get --- and that meant hiring top audio consultant Rick Ricco to design and assemble them" .

- It's obviously a custom build using stock Altec parts ( from 1976 ) .

- To these eyes, the 2 tuning ports look the same ( in height & width ) to that found in the Model 19 .
    - I can't see any reason why 416-8Bs weren't used in the already optimized size ( & tuning ) of the M19 enclosure .

- Since a tweeter is present ( even though Altec avoided their usage ) one might make an educated guess that a 288 was used on a 511E horn for maximum output .

- The tweeter may have an Altec 950-8A ( or a prototyper, since the mounting appears different, see below ;

- Resign yourself to the fact that you won't find these on eBay any time soon ( I've seen exactly one pair sold in the last 8 or 9 years ) .

- There's also a possibility the tweet is derived from the 6041-ST ( found in the 6041 speaker system -seen below ) .

- Both tweeter types seem to share a sort of three point mounting system / which is fairly unique .

- OTOH, maybe it's just from someone else sporting that "europeon look" .

>< cheers

Thank You As Usual !!!!

Earl, Thank You so much I appreciate your help very MUCH !!!! for the scan I was trying to find out more about it and as Usual you come through with the info !!!! Regards ~ A B

Supertweets

Earl are those "tweets" for sale then if so contact me in an email and I'll send my phone # Thanks ~ AB

[email protected]

Earl are those "tweets" for sale then if so contact me in an email and I'll send my phone # Thanks ~ AB
    The tweets in the picture are not mine / they're from a past eBay sale that happened to catch my eye .

>< cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    The tweets in the picture are not mine / they're from a past eBay sale that happened to catch my eye .

>< cheers

BUMMER !!!!!

Hey! I remember that picture of the "Rod speaker" ad. I snapped that pic a few years ago on my work table.

(Sorry for the glare and poor quality)

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    Hey! I remember that picture of the "Rod speaker" ad. I snapped that pic a few years ago on my work table.

(Sorry for the glare and poor quality)
    Yeh , ya outta be horse-whipped !

You've got John here, all hot & bothered

Do you still have that magazine ( which BTW, was ??? )

>< cheers

Hi John,

Oh goodness no! THAT magazine got pitched out years ago. I pulled the ad page out of it and saved it though. (obviously)

Sitting next to the "Rod speaker" page out of the picture frame is an late 1980's early 1990's catalog featuring Altec/EV products. Catalog is titled: "Mk IV cinema products"....if memory serves. I have since given both ad page & catalog away. Can't remember whom I gve them to......either a member here or at another board.

Anyway, I'm glad the pic has been preserved......

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by RussinOhio View Post
    Hi John,

Oh goodness no! THAT magazine got pitched out years ago. I pulled the ad page out of it and saved it though. (obviously)

Sitting next to the "Rod speaker" page out of the picture frame is an late 1980's early 1990's catalog featuring Altec/EV products. Catalog is titled: "Mk IV cinema products"....if memory serves. I have since given both ad page & catalog away. Can't remember whom I gve them to......either a member here or at another board.

Anyway, I'm glad the pic has been preserved......

Russ
    Hi Russ, Earl was right I was about to head into a cold shower right up until I got to the part were you say "I have since givin them away and can't remember to whom" Earl also was right about being horse-whipped but first you should have been "Bum-Rushed" and then whipped."Glad the picture has been preserved" I can't even read it. What did your camera have a melted lens on it. Well I guess the search continues I feel like I have been going in circles looking for that Picture Anyway Russ if you can remember what you did with it.And maybe get a close-up scan of it would appreciate if you can't then Just Kidding Russ, if you can find let me Know Thank You ~ JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    "Glad the picture has been preserved" Just Kidding Russ, if you can find let me Know Thank You ~ JOHN
    Hi John,

I was glad it was "preserved"....not that it would do anyone else any good! ....but only for my own sense of deja-vu! I should have stated that. My bad.

Ah yes, NOW I remember! Search "Rod speaker" over at the Altec board and my original posting of the thread/pic will come up. It was a back in '07, I'd post a link here to save you the search but I don't know if that is against the rules here or not.

Funny! A member in that very thread asked if I could post a better pic so he could read it! I told him: "hell....I'll mail it to ya if you want!"

....So thats where it went

Russ

Hi John,

I was glad it was "preserved"....not that it would do anyone else any good! ....but only for my own sense of deja-vu! I should have stated that. My bad.

Ah yes, NOW I remember! Search "Rod speaker" over at the Altec board and my original posting of the thread/pic will come up. It was a back in '07, I'd post a link here to save you the search but I don't know if that is against the rules here or not.

Funny! A member in that very thread asked if I could post a better pic so he could read it! I told him: "hell....I'll mail it to ya if you want!"

....So thats where it went

Russ
    Now that is deja-vu and don't that beat all now I wish I was the guy receiving the mail !!! JOHN
    Last edited by Altec Best; 10-25-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: smiles

Ok, I pm'd you over at the altec board with a link to the thread......

russ

Ok, I pm'd you over at the altec board with a link to the thread......

russ
    Yes I got it Thanks Russ

I remember the Rod Stewart speaker ads too.

At the time the ads came out I had a VOTT system with 416As woofers, 806 compression drivers and 811 horns that were purchased new in 1974. Later in 1977, I added JBL 077 slot tweeters and networks to extend the UHF response.

I'm not sure why Altec did not put the super tweets into production but they made a few tragic mistakes that, unfortunately, eventually led to their ruin.

Great designs and products are critical but bad management will destroy a business faster than anything else.

Thread Information