Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The FAMOUS ELDORADO IS BEING SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    I think I found the place to take the wife and kid for a weekend. I even have a place to stay at in Dobbs Ferry so we don't have to drive back home
    YES, you most certainly do. The NEW park on the site where Astroland once stood, will be operational this summer, and there is supposed to be amusements coming in around my area as well.

The City Of New York is inking a TEN YEAR lease with Zamperla for the Astroland site, with the promise of much more to come. So, IMO, Coneys future should be a solid foundation, with growth potential, and longevity.

Yesterday afternoon was sunny and mild, and all of a sudden, people walking about, inquiring if there is space to lease, which of course, there is.

I slept for a few hours, woke up, excited all over again, can't fall back to sleep, so much to say, don't know where to really begin.

For now, IT LOOKS GREAT, SHOULD BE A FUN SUMMER SEASON, AND FORUM MEMBERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME AT THE ELDORADO!

ELDORADO AUTO SKOOTER
    Scott Fitlin
    1216 Surf Av
    Brooklyn, NY
    !JBL
    scottyj

Outstanding news scottyj!

Keep us posted on the progress~!

Scottyk.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

I was just talking to my neighbor, and a few other people outside, EVERYONE is happy, THE SUN IS SHINING!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    CONEY ISLAND AMUSEMENT PARKS ARE COMING BACK, and my family has NOT inked a deal for our place, and TODAY AIN'T THE DAY TO SELL ELDORADO!

I have been quiet for quite some time, and today is a GREAT DAY!

I hope everyone here is having a great day too.
    That is great news Scotty , (I just came across this thread, sorry Im a little late but been real busy lately).
    Man that just made my day, I'm sick of hearing bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I vote for a 2010 East Coast Lansing Heritage Listening party at . . . Coney Island!
    I still think this is a great idea, and with the latest news I think its even more of a good reason to have that 2010 East Coast Lansing Heritage Listening party at Coney Island (I've been wanting to visit Scotty for a while now & it would be a great locale & certainly a lot of fun.
    We should probably start planing all the logistics right about now this way maybe some of our european & west coast members could make arrangements to attend.

Scotty what time of the year do you think something like this would be most suitable for you?

I'll wait to hear from Scotty, maybe a separate thread should be devoted for this monumental event
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    JBL,s will BE POUNDING IT OUT THIS SEASON!

SIMON BAR SINNISTER SAYS,

DANCE, AND BUMP YOUR ASSSSSS OFFFFFFFF

Simon Barsinnister..That's funny Ha Ha Ha
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey Scotty, that is great news. I really hated seeing Coney Island turn into condiminiums. It's such good news that the place will be making a comeback. I remember the smiles on everyone's face as soon as they walked in there and heard the music. No matter what wild and wonderful things come along, Eldorado will always be one of the top attractions. Bumping your ass off is good, Rock on!

I visited once and glad I will get to go again.

Do you have a copy of "Happy Days Are Here Again!" you can blast away?

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Eldorado Bumper car House Open for Another Season!

Guy in another forum was talking about Coney Island so I thought of Scott - did the google thing and found this info:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/brookl...5Jqk5fnEPshKgM
    6:43 AM, April 15, 2012 ι By RICH CALDER

A beloved Disco bumper-car ride in Coney Island that frequently attracted A-listers like Liza Minnelli will be back this summer for what could be a final spin.
    Local developer Joe Sitt, who recently bought the Surf Avenue building that houses Eldorado Auto Skooters and Arcade, said yesterday he’s bringing back the legendary ride as he’s still years away from using the land as part of a larger project to bring hotels and new retail to the seaside district.

The three-decade-old attraction -- best known for its blasting Disco beats and club-style lighting –- will continue to be run by the existing operators under a lease with Sitt for at least this summer.

The Eldorado bumper cars were such a hit with Minnelli in the 1970s that the old Studio 54 even tried to recreate them in its basement before running into spacing problems. The ride is also a favorite of many other celebrities, including ex-Met John Franco and actors Tracey Morgan and Gregory Hines.

I also found this info from a few years back -

http://amusingthezillion.com/2010/11...ars-to-reopen/

We’re happy to be able to report a piece of good news from good ol’ Coney Island, which is reeling from a series of deaths, demolitions, and evictions. The good news is Eldorado Auto Skooters, Coney’s famed disco palace of bumper cars, will reopen in 2011. It’ll be “Bump, Bump, Bump your Ass Off” at 1216 Surf Avenue in memory of the Eldorado’s heart and soul, Scott Fitlin, who died in October.

ATZ received a personal note from Sheila and Sandy Fitlin, the owners of the Eldorado Bumper Cars, to thank us for ATZ’s eulogy to their son. We can’t tell you how happy we were to read the words: “Stop by to see us at the Eldorado this summer.” The Coney Island Rumor Mill had been speculating whether or not the Eldorado would reopen. Some were worried that the building, which is owned by the Fitlin family, would be sold.

We were amazed and moved by the response to “Rest in Peace: Scott Fitlin, Coney’s Eldorado Man” (ATZ, October 13, 2010). Our eulogy was read by thousands of people from all over the world! As Sandy Fitlin writes, “Tricia, Scott had friends he probably didn’t know cared for him so much.” We think Scott would have been surprised by the many remembrances and condolences posted on ATZ and the audio discussion forums Audio Heritage and Wave Music, among others. Scott’s friends will want to stop by the Eldorado this summer to hear the legendary sound system and “Turn that Wheel!”

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks for sharing that Heather.

Scotty J is missed. I used to talk with him on the phone. He was a fun guy.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Yes Heather,

Thank-you very much for the info about Scott and his family .

Ditto... what they said.

Hard to believe it's been almost two years since he left us.

Widget

I miss him a well. 2 years Wow

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thanks for fixing the thread title!

I miss Scott too - I'm sure we all did ...

I did another Google today and found this video!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27469924@N06/3904063155/

from a link on this story

http://amusingthezillion.com/2012/03...e-of-eldorado/

Last week, Sheila Buxbaum Fitlin and Sandy Fitlin, whose families have operated businesses in Coney Island for more than six decades, sold the building that houses the Eldorado Auto Skooters and Arcade at 1216-1218 Surf Avenue to Thor Equities. For months Coney Island insiders knew of the pending sale as well as the possibility that the bumper cars and arcade will open for one more season, in the same way that Astroland remained open the year after it was sold.

“We’re actively working on negotiations,” arcade operator Gordon Lee told ATZ on Monday. Lee’s company Sun Star is a longtime provider of arcade machines to Coney Island, including the Eldorado as well as the now-closed Astroland Arcade and Faber’s Fascination. Last season Lee managed both the bumper cars and the arcade for the Fitlins after the death of their son Scott in October 2010. The bumper cars have undergone pre-season maintenance and passed inspection and are ready to open on Coney Island’s opening day if an agreement can be reached with Thor Equities.

Scott Fitlin was the DJ extraordinaire of Surf Avenue’s legendary disco palace of “Bump, Bump, Bump Your Ass Off” bumper cars and his untimely death at the age of 48 left the attraction’s future in question. His parents had retired to Texas and left the bumper cars in his care. It was a gift to Coney Island and a tribute to his memory that the Eldorado reopened last season. ATZ asked the Fitlins for a statement about the sale of the Eldorado and their years in Coney. Sheila Buxbaum Fitlin sent us the following note via email:
    It is with deep regret that I sold Eldorado. Due to my advancing age, the fact that I live in Texas, and, of course, Scott’s death, I could no longer continue.

As one of the last of the “old timers,” I view a legacy in Coney Island that spanned three generations and lasted almost 60 years. I pay homage to those of us who shaped Coney Island–

The Buxbaum & Fitlin Family, Jerome & Carol Albert, Denos Vourderis, Freddy Garms, Norman Kaufman, Ronnie Guerrero, Jeff Persily and any I may have forgotten.

Eldorado established an entity that became a standard of the industry. The Bumping Disco was known worldwide, reproduced somewhat once in Japan, but never really successfully duplicated anywhere. Eldorado was one of the very first of the FECs. Today the concept is everywhere and much embellished upon. Many years ago we had plans to extend to other areas, but it never came to fruition. Unfortunately, we were never really recognized or acknowledged by “the new Coney Island.” Oh, what things the “old timers” could have taught the “johnny come latelys.”

I only wish that Scott had not died and the next generation could have persevered.

GOODBYE CONEY ISLAND, and most of all, goodbye to those I love.

Our friend Scott Fitlin told us about the history of the Eldorado in a March 2010 interview. It begins: “Eldorado was hand built by my grandfather Joseph Buxbaum, my Dad Sandy Fitlin, and my Uncle Peter Buxbaum, and a carpenter named Rafael. Opening date was March 21st 1973, admission was 50 cents and 25 cent re-rides. The FIRST record played was Cisco Kid-War!”

In a 2007 interview in the Coney Island History Project’s Oral History Archive, Sheila Buxbaum Fitlin recounts how her parents met in 1930s Coney Island when her mother was working in a frozen custard stand at Bowery and Stillwell and her father was selling hot corn next door to Nathan’s.

In the 1940s, the family opened the Shamrock Irish House, a restaurant, cabaret and open air bar with singing waiters on Henderson Walk and the Bowery. Customers would throw money onto the stage. “I can recall as a child–10, 11, 9–going there, getting a stage-side table and my father would give me a roll of dimes and set me up with my Coca Cola,” says Sheila in the interview with Charles Denson.

In the oral history interview, Sheila says the family switched over to games in the mid-1950s and had one of the first-ever water racing games. The Eldorado building was at one time the Pleasureland Arcade and was won by the Buxbaum and Fitlin families in a closed bid auction in 1971. The building is located mid-block on Surf Avenue between Denny’s Ice Cream and the Popper Building, a few doors down from Thor Equities property at the corner of Surf and Stillwell.

UPDATE April 12, 2012:

Good news! Gordon Lee of Coney’s Eldorado Bumper Cars phoned to say he’s operating the ride today & open for business! The arcade will also open this weekend for the season. Hours at the Eldorado are “12 noon till closing.”

Eldorado Bumper Cars and Arcade, 1216 Surf Avenue, Coney Island

Pix from the Joe Strummer biopix ... taking a ride at Eldorado ...

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks for the update Heather & the picture of Mick Jones.
    Just Play Music.

Thanks, Heather. Brings back memories for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Ditto... what they said.

Hard to believe it's been almost two years since he left us.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I miss him a well. 2 years Wow

Rob

Guys, whatever happened to the "In Memorium" forum we talked about opening a while back?

There are certainly a number of folks we'd like to memorialize before the memories are lost completely.
    Out.

Thread Information