Thread: JBL K-110 vs. 2110

JBL K-110 vs. 2110

Hey,

I'm wondering which drivers are best suited for my use.
    Im thinking about building frontloaded horns for two JBL K-110 or 3 JBL 2110 each side....
    They have an additional subbass-unit(JBL 2226), so there is no need for big bass response.
    Above ~800hz is a JBL 2440 working and a JBL 2405...

Do the JBL 2110 work in frontloaded horns?

Which speaker will performe "better".??
    They will be running in an aprox. 30m² livingroom at moderate to high level.

Where are the differences in sound between K-110 and 2110?

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Best wishes from germany,
    Olaf

Dear Olaf,

Here is a link from the library:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-comp/2110.htm
    I have very little experience with that driver.
    I believe recone kits are no longer available.

The D/K/E-110 is a great little guitar amp speaker. I use them in my cabs with a 2240 18";E110 mid and 2404 tweeter. Kind of a bastard speaker really. The E110 is 3" voice coil and very BRIGHT sounding to me. Short voice coil, so not alot of excursion. Works well from 250-1200hz.

Please to add more info.

Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Hi Scotty,

thanks a lot for input!!

I`ve heard almost just good references about the K-110 and E-110.
    You seem to be very lucky with these drivers too.

But I'm actually wondering if the 2110 will bring any kind of improve in sound-quality at all.....!?
    They look pretty interesting too

All the best and thanks again for your answer,
    Olaf

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-comp/2110.htm

They mention enclosures between 50-80litres.... Probably vented boxes.

Does this mean the 2110 won't work in Frontloaded-Horns??

I use E110s

The K/E 110 will handle more power, all in all they are a rugged speaker. They are a easier to find. I have an E110 in a guitar amp and I like it very much.
    I have seen K/E 110s used in PA systems as mid range driver, I do remember one setup that they were front horn loaded it worked very well.
    The 2110 would work as horn driver, but I think the K/E 110 would be a better choice. John

Hi John,

thanks for charing your experience.

Have you any clue where the differences between K110 and 2110 in sound-characteristics might be....??

The K110 can handle more power.
    But I'd build speakers with 2 x K110 or 3 x 2110.... so that hopefully equals out.

Have a nice weekend,
    Olaf

What are you tring to do?

Home listing or PA system? John

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    They will be running in an aprox. 30m² livingroom at moderate to high level.

No PA, but serious sound levels.....

You may not call it PA, but it will be PA-sounding. Better to use one of JBL's up-to-date dual purpose SR or monitor 10" cone drivers, the 2123 or 2012. You'll only need one in each side to destroy your ears. Both should be obtainable and serviceable at your local JBL authorized dealer. PM member Guido, who is in Germany, and get straightened out on this.

I believe the old JBL's are loud enough by far.....

The new stuff might handle way more power, but it won't have this nice and crisp sound like the K-Series or the 2110....

Hi, Dr.db,

I hope you have good luck, and some fun along the way, in your current JBL project. I also wanted to tell you that, in 1977, I got to spend quite a bit of time in Hamburg. I was there for almost three months, and got to see quite a bit of that city, and surrounding countryside. I really enjoyed my time there in your city!

Whilst there, I chanced upon a nightclub called "Uncle Pö". I'm sure I'm not spelling it correctly, but that's the best I can remember. Anyway, the Beatles supposedly used to hang out and play there, back in their beginnings. I heard several bands there, including some American groups on tour, including "Southside Johnny and the Ashbury Jukes". I saw that group for two nights, and even went out to eat with them after the gig.

Is that club still around? It was a great place to hear music, and I very much enjoyed my time there. Hamburg was/is a great city, and my memories of my time there, and all the wonderful German people that I met, are very enjoyable. Just thought I'd share that with you. Someday, I hope to return, with my wife, to show Hamburg to her, and to revisit my old haunts from back then. I'm sure it's changed quite a bit, but I'm also sure that the people who live there are just a good as they were back then. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi Doc,

nice to hear you enjoyed hamburg.
    I believe it has changed like every big city did.... 30years won't just pass by....
    But there's a special charme still around hamburg. I definetly love living here, cause you have all opportunities for life and plenty nice attractions near by.
    I live in the west, so I have a lot of nature around and the big river(elbe) very close. It's bout 30mins to the city....

Whenever you come to visit hamburg, tell me and I could help you find hotels etc...

Have a nice week!!
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hi, Dr.db,
    Whilst there, I chanced upon a nightclub called "Uncle Pö". I'm sure I'm not spelling it correctly, but that's the best I can remember
    Is that club still around? It was a great place to hear music, and I very much enjoyed my time there
    Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Hi Doc,

the "Onkel Pö" moved once, but was closed for good in its second location when a 1985 technical inspection of the second location determined that the sound system had structurally weakened that second home of the club to the point where it had to be closed. Or so the folklore goes.

Hamburg still is worth the visit, even though the "scene" after German unification certainly is to be found in Berlin, which itself was unified in the process and therefore dwarfs Hamburg by a 3:1 ratio in inhabitants today.

greetings
    Ralph

Hi, Olaf and Ralph,

It's great to hear from you both! I do hope to be able to visit Hamburg again, someday, as I really enjoyed my time there, back in the '70's! I walked all over that town, and found the people to be warm, welcoming, and friendly, especially when they got to know you just a little. Good food, good people, lots of sights to see, and quite a music scene back then, too. I was trying to get a job as a singing drummer, and auditioned with several bands whilst I was there. No job was immediately forthcoming, however, and I finally headed for home in the US. Not long after I arrived back home, I was contacted by the fellow in whose Pension I was staying, saying that his phone was ringing all the time with work offers for me! Guess I left too soon... But, as the money was running out, and as I was really not doing well with my girlfriend at the time, who was working as a model in Hamburg, I had to return to the US when I did.

If I ever do get a chance to head over that way again, I'll give you both a shout, and maybe we can meet up for lunch, or dinner, and talk JBL!! Thanks, again, for the contact, friends, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Though I do understand that everything does change over the passage of time, I'm sad to hear that "Onkle PÖ" was closed down. It was a great music venue, and I had some really fun times there. Ahhhh, "the good old days"!!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information