Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4344

[quote=Earl K;267669.

- The C8R2122 recone kit might be available in the USA / but you'll need to check with a US supplier .

>< cheers [/quote]

And if it still is, be prepared to wait for months....

Another option is to use a 2123 and the crossover/network for the 4344 MkII. The crossover is posted in the DIY section by member 4313b. You will have to do a search to find it.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

"Zobel is as zobel does"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    Another option is to use a 2123 and the crossover/network for the 4344 MkII. The crossover is posted in the DIY section by member 4313b. You will have to do a search to find it.
    Yes i think i'll do like that, because i can buy it now.
    Thanks

Hello frablake

If I were building up a pair if 4344 I would not go with the stock driver layout. I would go with an inline driver alignment for the 2235, 2122 and the 2425 and keep the 2405 on the side of the lense. I would also offset the woofer in the cabinet and not have it centered like the original cabinet. I would also build the grilles to be set up for a flush baffle and not build the overhangs to help minimize diffraction. I would also relocate the reflex vents away from the midrange driver for the same reason.

Depending upon what midrange drivers I could get I would consider the 4344Mk 2 crossover if the 2123 was my only option. As far as a crossover the alternates posted in Ian’s Linked posts worked out very well. The stock crossovers cannot be built because the original tapped inductors are not available.

I would get driver cores if possible and have fresh re-cones done all around. That way you have a clean slate and a factory fresh driver set. The 2235 can be 2225’s as an example and there are multiple cores for the 2122’s and well.

Some things to also consider are a Charge Coupled network and Aguaplased diaphragms for the 2425’s.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by RobH3606
    If I were building up a pair if 4344 I would not go with the stock driver layout. I would go with an inline driver alignment for the 2235, 2122 and the 2425 and keep the 2405 on the side of the lense. I would also offset the woofer in the cabinet and not have it centered like the original cabinet. I would also build the grilles to be set up for a flush baffle and not build the overhangs to help minimize diffraction. I would also relocate the reflex vents away from the midrange driver for the same reason.

Do what RobH has suggested. As a point of fact, " ayaboh " did incorporate most of the same changes into his rearrangement of the layout for the component parts .

Here are two of the "stock" arrangements ( pics courtesy of Giskard ) ; 1st the 4344 , 2nd the 4344mkII ;

>< cheers

Here's ayaboh(s)' 4344 plans (parsed; page by page ).

- page 3 is missing because it's too large to upload to this site ( as a pdf ) .

>< cheers

pages 1 to 6
    Attached Images Attached Images

pages 7 to 11

pages 12 to 16

pages 17 to 21

pages 22 to 24

& the missing page 3 ( appearing here as a .png file ) .

Other than keeping the height down, what's the benefit of having the tweeter next to the horn instead of above? Looks like reflections off the side of that difuser would cause some problems.

Other than keeping the height down, what's the benefit of having the tweeter next to the horn instead of above? Looks like reflections off the side of that difuser would cause some problems.
    Hello Jeff

You need to take a look at the vertical polars on the 2307/2308 combo. It gets really narrow at around 10K or so and the 2405 is getting really tight there as well. If you stacked them you could end up with two hot spots depending on the spacing the crossover points and listening distance.

At least this way you can set both drivers up to have them on the same listening axis. If you have listened to a 2307/2308 alone or a 2405 you will soon see that you really need to have them set-up so your ear height is on axis with them. If you don't when you do a simple stand-up sit down test you can clearly hear when you are in or out of the "window".

When I did mine I figured every single monitor that uses a slot has them next too the paired driver even the 4315 uses this configuration. Is it because of the Polars?? Who knows?? Not sure but it made sense to me to keep them that way once I tried to figure out why they were that way. All I can say is they sound just fine used that way.

Take a look at page 5

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...6021#post76021

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thanks, Rob.

If one were so inclined to go in-line, all the way...

One -could- mount drivers not perpendicular to the ground to optimize
    for a fixed listening distance [even go as far as Wilson's MAXX, or Focal's
    Utopia if you wanted to go completely modular with a non-traditional look...
    being careful to understand the baffle requirements for the 2308, or effect
    without].

Mostly thinking one could leave the basic design alone other than the 2405
    location, placing the 2405 at ear level and angling the 2307 up slightly
    (small wedge insert).

but if the side-by-side thing works well enough, you sure save on construction
    effort and design/build/test/scrap/design/build... time .

Thread Information