Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to build a home theatre around L300s

Hi Widg,
    My room is 20' x 20' with a vaulted ceiling. 9' walls 12' at the ridge & the ridge goes from L-R.
    For all intensive purposes...carpet etc I can make how I like. My wife wanted etched concrete floors in that room but I quickly kiboshed that idea, as well as hardwood. It'll be carpeted...is there good & bad sonic qualities to different carpets?
    There are windows & doors along the back wall & one side wall is mostly open to the rest of the house...so it's definitely not optimal as a HT room...but I have to work with what I have. The room actually used to be closed on all sides but wifey wanted a more open concept so I lost that debate
    One question I've been meaning to ask you guys is this....my Adcom 7707 has 7 channels @ 200w/channel. The processor is 7.1 & my 4345 clones are bi-amp only. So can I use a "Y" at the processor to run 2 amps from the one channel...you follow?

Do you have an electronic crossover?

"my 4345 clones are bi-amp only. So can I use a "Y" at the processor to run 2 amps from the one channel...you follow?"

If you have and electronic x-over you can run the front L-R output of the processor to the x-over,then to your current amps and speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    "my 4345 clones are bi-amp only. So can I use a "Y" at the processor to run 2 amps from the one channel...you follow?"

If you have and electronic x-over you can run the L-R output of the processor to the x-over,then to your current amps and speakers.
    Ah yes...I forgot all about that!
    Good thing somebody's on the ball!

I had the similar center channel problem, Gorden at Audio Atlanta has provided me with all of the identical components in my 4340's with one exception, two 10'' speakers and no 15'' driver with one 2420 and a 2405. My objective is to have the same sounding speakers all the way around.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Quote Originally Posted by JBLCanuck View Post
    Hi Widg,
    My room is 20' x 20' with a vaulted ceiling. 9' walls 12' at the ridge & the ridge goes from L-R.
    For all intensive purposes...carpet etc I can make how I like. My wife wanted etched concrete floors in that room but I quickly kiboshed that idea, as well as hardwood. It'll be carpeted...is there good & bad sonic qualities to different carpets?
    There are windows & doors along the back wall & one side wall is mostly open to the rest of the house...so it's definitely not optimal as a HT room...but I have to work with what I have. The room actually used to be closed on all sides but wifey wanted a more open concept so I lost that debate
    One question I've been meaning to ask you guys is this....my Adcom 7707 has 7 channels @ 200w/channel. The processor is 7.1 & my 4345 clones are bi-amp only. So can I use a "Y" at the processor to run 2 amps from the one channel...you follow?
    I like your ceiling... a square floor plan is really too bad, but perhaps the opening will help.

I would probably go with a dedicated sub or two... possibly four if you can swing it. 2245s are excellent for music, but in a larger room which yours is having that open wall, I think you could pop them... especially at reference level with an action film. Also the 2245 while it goes plenty deep for music, it will be really taxed to delve into the low twenties or below at any sort of moderate to high SPL.

What are your surround plans? Are you are planning on running a 5.1 or a 7.1 system? Even though we install a lot of 7.1 systems it is mainly due to people wanting them since "it must be better, right?" The argument can be made for 7.1 in some rooms but in most cases a 5.1 system is actually better, or at least truer to the original cinema mix. That said, Tom Holman (Mr. THX) says if you can afford to go with more than a 5.1 channel system you should put the additional channels in the front where you can actually hear them. He advocates a 10.2 system with 7 channels up front and three in the rear. I've heard it and with the right source material it is stunning. A handful of new processors and top end receivers will be offered shortly with his DSX decoder to create 9.1 or 11.1 systems based on 5.1 or 7.1 systems.

Where will your primary listening position be in this room. How big will your screen or display be?

Yep, lots of questions... but without them inaccurate assumptions are always likely.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Travis, you may want to start your own L300 thread & ...
    I'll be pulling out these posts and starting a new thread for him.

Look for it here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=26819

Widget

Many here, myself included, would whip up a custom center channel using parts similar to the L300s... this sort of thing isn't a trivial undertaking though and every time I start a new project, even with over 30 years of experience designing and building custom and DIY speakers, there are no guarantees that it will work out as desired.

I'd suggest you buy a proper center channel, a good receiver, and a pair of competent surrounds. My first choice in centers would be the 880 Array, but it is likely too expensive for this project, you might consider the new JBL LS Series... I've recently listened to the LS80 floor standers and am happily impressed. (More to come on this later.) In the LS Series there is an affordable center chanel that should do an admirable job of keeping up with the L30s. For surrounds, the Performance Series P520WS surrounds are quite affordable and are a bargain.

As for a receiver, I'd go with a mid level Denon or Onkyo/Integra.

I noticed, you didn't mention a sub. Personally I'd add one or two, but I suppose you could get by with the L300s at least at first.

Thread Information