Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I found the JBL "Goop" guy !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    Theres always the cost issue.

As a reconer I'm in for some,no more than a gallon-and that depends on the shelf life.

You probably should contact large users of the material such as Great Plains Audio and Orange County speaker repair and see how much they could use.

Let us know what you decide.

Oldmics
    I know GPA has a supplier and would have to guess so does OCS.

So unless this GOOP GUY can undercut the price what is the point???

Are these replacement "goops" identical to the original formula? That seems to be the crux of it.

Goop Sources

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    Are these replacement "goops" identical to the original formula? That seems to be the crux of it.

I remember posting a reply (which is no longer there) in this thread some time back in 2009 stating: "you can get all the goop you want from the Home Depot Stores packaged in tubes." We used goop on the RCA LC1-A, Olson Duo-Cone wide Range 15" Broadcast Monitor Speaker "paper-cone edge." Everybody thought it was a detergent.

cheers, herki the cat
    Last edited by herki the cat; 03-23-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Natha

Is the goop used soley to plug the air GAPs in the cloth surounds or is there damping or other design reasons for using GOOP?

...just curious

Thx....

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Is the goop used soley to plug the air GAPs in the cloth surrounds or is there damping or other design reasons for using GOOP?

...just curious

Thx....
    Yes, it was originally only used on the JBL D123 cloth surround. I figured it would also be useful to prevent the paper surrounds on the "F" series from cracking.

Goop at The Home Depot

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    Yes, it was originally only used on the JBL D123 cloth surround. I figured it would also be useful to prevent the paper surrounds on the "F" series from cracking.

Harvey Gerst;283577 states: "Yes, goop was originally only used on the JBL D123 cloth surround. I figured it would also be useful to prevent the paper surrounds on the "F" series from cracking."

Harvey, It is a small world; RCA learned from your experience with the JBL D123 cloth surround to implement the quality of goop on the paper edge of the RCA LC1-A monitor cone, also the up-grade RCA LC1-C with the cloth surround which dropped the free air FS to 20 Hz.

BTW, I learned recently from Moyen Co., customer service that Moyen Co., is not the manufacturer of goop, a mistake in my post. The Goop manufacturer has been identified in this thread.by member Maistrow in his post titled: "Hello From The Goop Guy"

cheers, herki the cat

Quote Originally Posted by LE15-Thumper View Post
    This thread has really gone downhill .....moderators, if you please ?
    I think a fair amount of pruning is in order...

A number of posts that were unrelated to this thread were moved here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=28229

Widget

Goop guy never came back and I can't access the link above...

I need GOOP!
    Two of my 123A-1 and my 2213h are running dry

After much searching and many calls to manufacturers and repair outfits, I finally found the magic goop used to treat cloth surrounds. An outfit called Simply Speakers caries it: Foam Guard-Speaker Foam Edge Sealer, White PVA, MI-1291FG

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speake...mi-1291fg.html

It comes out of the bottle white, but dries clear and stays slightly tacky. It's the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post
    After much searching and many calls to manufacturers and repair outfits, I finally found the magic goop used to treat cloth surrounds. An outfit called Simply Speakers caries it: Foam Guard-Speaker Foam Edge Sealer, White PVA, MI-1291FG

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speake...mi-1291fg.html

It comes out of the bottle white, but dries clear and stays slightly tacky. It's the real thing.
    Hey, thanks!
    I don't think it's the real thing since the JBL goop is black but at that price I will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Hey, thanks!
    I don't think it's the real thing since the JBL goop is black but at that price I will find out.
    Your right it is not the real thing. The stuff Simply Speakers sells is weldbond glue perhaps watered down a bit.

The Jbl and altec goop is clear and only looks black after it is applied.

my understanding is that AirFlex 5100, was used with the Altecs.

http://www.airproducts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    my understanding is that AirFlex 5100, was used with the Altecs.

http://www.airproducts.com/
    I'd be careful here. Vinyl acetates like Airflex 5100 have a Tg of around 30C, which means their flexibility might be less than folks wanting "goop" would expect. I dont have a Tg (glass transition temp) on Airflex 5100; as my statement is based on what the typical Tg of vinyl acetates are. Note, I'm not sure if its a homopolymer or a co- or terpolymer If its a homopolymer, they are usually much less flexible than a block co-polymer based on VAE.

That said you could wreck a perfectly good surround/cone needing goop with a material that is not a dead nuts match to "goop"; VAE's are not what I associate with those, perhaps a LWM-PUR (low molecular weight polyurethane) or a LWM polyester. The trick here is; from my personal observation on my equipment, goop is a very low molecular weight material which exhibits "cold flow"; hence it pools to one side or the other and is in some degree mobile on the surround over time.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Quote Originally Posted by herki the cat View Post
    Harvey Gerst;283577 states: "Yes, goop was originally only used on the JBL D123 cloth surround. I figured it would also be useful to prevent the paper surrounds on the "F" series from cracking."

Harvey, It is a small world; RCA learned from your experience with the JBL D123 cloth surround to implement the quality of goop on the cloth surround of the RCA LC1-C monitor cone which dropped the FS down to 20 Hz. Moyen, Co. customer service states they are not the manufacturer of goop. herki the cat
    The jury is still out as to who supplies the real goop. I was told by late engineer Mr. A. J. May at the water fountain in the RCA Engineering Lab that "the goop was considered a valuable RCA asset which was not included in the LC1-C manufacturing parts list, but instead required purchasing to consult Engineering for the vendor on each parts order release." I was also informed by A. J. that he discovered the RCA goop down the street in a local Camden, NJ hardware store.

A.J. also said "the goop was not required to provide edge damping at all, but to simply seal up the pores of the surround cloth." I have not seen any migration or movement of the goop in my four RCA LC1-C Speakers during the last 30 years.

There is an amazing number of goop products in the market place. To see an excellent solution to this mess, Please Paste This Link in your Brouser: www.biosafe-inc.com/ag_adhesives.htm
    Last edited by herki the cat; 11-05-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: NATHA!

Quote Originally Posted by herki the cat View Post
    A.J. also said "the goop was not required to provide edge damping at all, but to simply seal up the pores of the surround cloth." I have not seen any migration or movement of the goop in my four RCA LC1-C Speakers during the last 30 years.
    And that's exactly the way it was used on the cloth surround of the JBL D123, to simply seal the surround cloth. I decided to use the same stuff primarily to prevent surround disintegration (and to a lesser extent, some damping) for the "F" series all paper cones.

Thread Information