Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something Old, Something New ...

dougzilla

Something Old, Something New ...

I finished my first Cab for the Sub 1500, thought i would share a few pix.

Something Old: The granite top is 100 million years or so.

Something New: The speaker; the amp.

Something Borrowed: The expertise in this Forum and thanks a lot!

Something (almost JBL) Blue: Well the baffle is as close as I could come off the shelf in a spray can....

Details: This is a 3.1 cu ft internal volume box (not counting speaker displacement or bracing), with a baffle that is tilted back 10 degrees from vertical. Check a later post for my spiritual inspiration. Basic construction is 3/4 in. MDF, lock miter joints at all side corners, no mechanical fasteners except for hardware mounts. The box bottom is recessed up 1 inch from the lowest side point (to allow concealed casters) into a dado slot on all sides; the top is overlap rabbetted.

The side cheeks are 9ply 1/2 in. baltic birch, which I veneered with American Black Walnut. All sides are braced with same 3/4 MDF, inlet into dados, and an extra brace from L to R side across the middle of the cabinet. Sound absorbancy via R13 fiberglass all surfaces. It's very rigid and non-resonant. Finish is spray paint over primer on baffle and back, then high gloss nitrocellulose lacquer over natural Watco Danish Oil on the walnut.

The 2 cm granite top is large grain Baltic Brown, from a scrap I found for cheap at a local stone yard, which they cut and polished to my spec. The quartz inclusions give a bluish cast, very pretty in the right light. it complements the walnut well, I think.

The amp is a 250W no-name plate amp from Parts Express.

Overall dimensions, outside: 18.5 W, 23 H, 19 D (Top) 23 D (bottom).

Sound: Very deep, solid and controlled response, no really audible peaks or dips. I run this with the amp to max bandwidth, but crossed off the mains with an active Xover (behringer 3210) at 60 Hz. It sounds fine up to ~100 Hz, though.

It was a lot of fun to build, and i'll stay with the slant front for future subwoofer editions. This one goes in the family/media room. I still have to build a suite of three speakers and a media cabinet for the formal LR. Should keep me out of trouble for a while....

Adios,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

dougzilla
    Empty box.

dougzilla
    Rear View

dougzilla
    With Grille mounted

dougzilla
    stone/wood detail

dougzilla
    Spiritual Inspiration: When the Air Force builds a subwoofer, it doesn't fool around! Tuned to about 0.1 Hz, I'm told....

jcdahl
    Hey Doug;

Very nice work !! The same internal volume as mine..
    How much fill did you use?
    How is the granite top attached?
    What material is the grill made of?

The wood finish is beautifull

The Air Force spent a lot more on theirs. Also I think the Fs is actually up in the GHZ range.

Very nicely done Doug!

Widget

jtgyn
    G'Day Doug,
    Very very nice! But ...

"Basic construction is 3/4 in. MDF, lock miter joints at all side corners, no mechanical fasteners except for hardware mounts. The box bottom is recessed up 1 inch from the lowest side point (to allow concealed casters) into a dado slot on all sides; the top is overlap rabbetted. "

Please excuse my woodworking ignorance.. but how is the box held together again ?

Regards Scott

Now that is a nice looking sub!!!

Rob

granite

Originally posted by dougzilla
    stone/wood detail
    Hi all,

I'm sure Bo can tell us where this stone is coming from and date it exactly (and what the plate is for)

Nice Work Doug...I like it

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

RIP 2009
    Really nice work! 'Sure has been a lot of inspiration here lately on sub cabs. I've still got to get to mine...

John

Figge
    just beutiful zilla!! hope u aint gonna use them as targetpractice!

Re: granite

Originally posted by Hofmannhp
    I'm sure Bo can tell us where this stone is coming from and date it exactly

Well, I do get to use one of my favorite decriptors: poikilitic granite. The xenomorphic feldspars (orthoclase...?) give a nice luster to the specimen. An abundance of free quartz, too. Interesting.

I'm not confident of it's provenance, as there is so much shipping of slab these days. And, neither the texture nor composition is common to the Sierra batholith (although it could be a localized intrusion into said batholith), but I suspect it's age may be materially younger than 100Ma, perhaps something of the 34Ma or 65Ma cluster (if from North America...).

But I'm, more romanced by the Blue... :o

Nice work.
    Last edited by boputnam; 06-22-2004 at 07:01 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Re: Something Old, Something New ...

Originally posted by dougzilla
    Something (almost JBL) Blue: Well the baffle is as close as I could come off the shelf in a spray can....
    Hey, Doug...

I'm getting some tins made-up this week (I'm horribly remis in dosing the JBL Blue junkies... ). If you want a tin, pm me your mailing address, or maybe we could arrange a "paint drop"...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information