Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are you using with your JBL 4345?

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Me too. It never stops...

I probably should go Class A on the upper band passes. Maybe some day...
    Good idea.

The 1st watt of power is the most important in terms if fine detail and resolving power.

Although I can vouch for highly biased class A solid state amps sounding superior in the mid and upper bass.

A lot of people go through life thinking all amps sound the same.

As was once quote by an American..." a fool's paradise is a wise man's hell".

Passlabs 2.5
    Passlabs X250.50 250+250
    Passlabs AX100.5 (diy-mono blocks)
    Passlabs high low pass Xover(diy)

Are you for activ or passiv amplification for drive your 4345 ?

If you make activ "bi amping" with external x/over , can you say what's frequencies do you use ? , JBL recommends 290hz/18db ; i see many persons use 24db filter but with wich frequencies cuting?

What's the lower frequencies that the 2122 H in 4345 charge can be use ?

(sorry for my bad language)

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    You are probably correct, but as a woofer the 2245H is unusual. It has a light cone for its size and doesn't develop as much inertia as some other eighteens. So it needs less braking/damping. The 502B amp is a pretty solid push pull unit and controls it pretty well.

It could be my room, but after months of exposure to both a giant UREI and the 502, I found the 502 much more musical/less clinical and dry. It sounded more like live music, at least the acoustic music I crave. I was higher than a kite on the SS sound until I switched back on a lark. I was floored how much more pleasing the tube driven rendition was to me. String bass was like night and day. The big SS amp sounded like the bass was coming out of a shoe box by comparison. Just choked off. YMMV! It is possible a better SS amp might help, but I could tell that the problem was not amplifier quality, but rather damping. The notes died too fast to sound natural.

I guess it is all what you are used to hearing, but the tubes sound a lot more like live music and I can't think of anything else that matters after that.

Clark
    Absolutely correct.

Added new cables...

Just some update to my 4345 system. Just added two Nordost power cords on my Marantz CD10 and my Chord power amp. Also added the Nordost Frey speaker cable to my 4345. RESULT :... More dynamic, airy and also superbly detailed....

Still deciding what to use with my JBLs once complete

Yes - believe it or not - my DIY 4345s, after a year in construction, are still not complete - but hopefully soon.

I think to begin with, I will be using the following components with my JBL System (which is what I currently have on hand):

Preamp: HiFi Supply Django TVC Preamp (w/ S&B MKIII)
    Active Crossover: Marchand XM9 - Crossover Frequency Set to 290Hz
    Amp on the Top End: Plinius SA-100 MKIII 100 watts per channel - Class A (can be set to A/B)
    Amp on the 2245: McIntosh MC 7270 (270 Watts per Channel)

We will see how things turn out - might end up swapping some components over time. But the one component that is not moving is the Plinius SA-100 MKIII.

Do you think McIntosh MC2600 will match with a 4345 ?

Solid state bi-amp for now

I'm currently powering my 4345's with McIntosh solid state amps but giving some consideration to going with an all tube setup. My system consist of a MA-6600 at 200 wpc, MEN220 crossover, and a MC-302 at 300 wpc. The 6600 is powering the top half and the 302 takes care of the 2245H. I have the MEN220 set to cross over the 6600 at 300 Hz and the 302 to cross over at 350 Hz to help ease the drop off at the transition. I've yet to hear a system that I like better except for my friend's 4350's powered by all McIntosh tube amps.

Thread Information