Thread: Posting Guidelines

Posting Guidelines

After an event two weeks ago, it would appear that there would be benefit to having guidelines for posting. I want to preface this by stating that I believe our forum has more than met the initial intent of developing a community of people with a shared interest in Lansing products and heritage. Discussions have added a whole new dimension to the site that goes well beyond the information contained in web articles and documents. It is not my intent to restrain this in any way and I will do whatever I can to foster expanded discourse.

Now the bad news. Two weeks ago, a past regular poster returned after an extended absense to make two posts that were nothing more than personal attacks. I deleted them as soon as I came across them and this has resulted in that poster leaving the site permanently. I have no regrets in this development, but thought I should make clear why I took the action I did, and what's allowed and what's not.

A) What's Allowed

You are free to criticize any action, opinion or assertion made on this forum.

B) What's Not Allowed

You are not allowed to make personal crticisms. Ad hominem attacks and name calling will not be tolerated.

It is not my intent to turn this site into the epitome of political correctness. Sarcasm, exposure to ridicule and humour in general are all perfectly acceptable as long as it is directed at A) and not B).

I am leaving this thread open to replies for opinions on these guidelines and input on whether anything else should be addressed.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Hear, Hear.

Having recently intentionally and knowingly breached one of the (expected) covenants, I submit there needs be some "oversight" or ability to flag shameless promotion of components that are being fobbed on eBay.

There are many, many on this forum who lust after not only better knowledge and understanding of JBL lore, but also for vintage JBL components and the crafting of cabinets to afford their improved performance.

Maybe this can only be done in a parochial manner - down here in the trenches but politely - but it puts the onus on us peers (and peer wannabes...) to be on the lookout.

I hate people who play on other's ignorance. Ignorance is merely a lack of knowledge, and can be remedied. Fraud is bad and makes me cross.

I saw R**'s posts and ignored them - they were obviously outa line. But so is Shameless Promotion. Maybe they too should be deleted as they are uncovered.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

"As for misinformation posts... I've made a few erroneous posts, as have others, and I think we all work pretty diligently to get those posts corrected.

I have goofed a couple of times too and the correcctions from others has always been, I think you got it wrong or look in the catalog ect. Never the hey J**K you messed up again. I agree there in no reason for that. Lets face it we all mess up sometimes. No reason to be rude.

"I personally view the recent string of 4311 posts as "littering" and I don't understand why the subject had to be posted multiple times."

Yeah it does clutter things up why don't we have a no multiple post rule like AA?? Doesn't happen to often but it will make it clear you shouldn't.

There is lots of good information and sharing of ideas that really makes this a nice forum to be a member of.

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 06-05-2003 at 05:07 PM.

The 4311MX Fraud

It wasn't a question of misinformation - the poser poster blanketed three of the four forums - verged on spam. He/She got too many legimate (and repeat...) responses from some of The Forum's best, and argued with their merit.

There was no "goof" - it was intentional promotion of misinformation with the intent on garnering higher valuation for something being fobbed. That is fraud.

Many Forum-ites are lured to the AlNiCo flame and to research it's history can be arduous and is filled with myth. Perhaps some of the more fundamental JBL lore - such as AlNiCo motors and transucer polarity and cabinet configurations - warrant a dedicated place where the facts of topics are not lost in even recent (and mounting) history of posts.

Posting that someting is being offered on eBay is fine - promoting the scarcity of it is entirely offbase.

IMHO.

But, I humbly submit myself for 1000 lashes with a decrepit surround...
    Last edited by boputnam; 06-05-2003 at 05:57 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

"I saw R**'s posts and ignored them - they were obviously outa line."

I saw R**'s posts too and wondered about what kind of jerk he must have been talking about.

As far as 4311WX... I think it was an honest attempt from someone to learn more about the speakers that he was selling on eBay in order to make his auction more attractive. I feel that while his motives might have been rather mercenary this is the type of service this forum provides to others for free and it is great. What the questioner does with the information is his business. Unfortunately in this particular case it was done rather clumsily and did create a bit of litter. The original post in the "Market Place" was fine... I personally have no interest in another pair of 4311s but someone may and others have put eBay notices up for things I was interested in.

The bottom line is that this forum has grown into a wonderful resource that can teach others about the speakers we appreciate and we all can learn from each other's experiences.

Mr. Widget...

Excellently put. However:

"What the questioner does with the information is his business" is not what concerned me - you're right on that. What is troubling is how the exchange is interpreted by the less informed - the "teach others about the speakers we appreciate and we all can learn from each other's experiences" crowd.

What grabbed my attention (er, reaction...) was the persistent promote of the rarity of the components in-the-face of Most Knowledable Fact from you, RobertG and others, to the contrary. His intentions clearly were wrong, as supported by the blanketing of the same thread in three sub-forums. He was really "spreadin' the word".

Subject dropped. Back into my hole...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I think that for the most part this is one of the most usefull boards I have ever come across with a bunch of class people! As far as posting items to sell.....well this is the last place to draw buyers from to buy on Ebay. 4343s and the like maybe, but very rare 4311WX LOL? I trust that it's behind us and won't happen again.

Thread Information