Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review of PSS1200 amplifier

Your right about some things......

I know that some amps make fantastic bass, but sound terrible for upper ranges! IMO, The old Crown PSA-2 is such an amp! It sounded amazing for sub bass, but use it for mids or mid bass, YUCH!

But this amp is definitely NON Fatiguing through the mid band, although a little more snap might be nice too!

I understand about low noise floors, but i also run a ceratin type of gain structure that was developed for entertainment systems!

My intention for lending this amp out is they can have it shipped to them, and they pay the freight, and they can listen to it. I might be getting some more of these from you for another application I have. In my system in the Bumper cars, I need the Boum Boum! But I have no problem with getting the amp to others so they can also hear what i think, overall, is a good amp!

Would you customize the input sensitivity on future purchases for me?

BTW, the amp ran at 4 ohms per channel, and although it was exhausting warm air it didnt overheat on me, so if it works for me, for the amount of hours I run, at almost full power, it will work for any one!
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 07-06-2004 at 02:32 PM.

PSS AUDIO

Re: Your right about some things......

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    Would you customize the input sensitivity on future purchases for me?
    Of course!

It is very simple to achieve, one must change 2 resistors and perhaps a small cap (any nice tech can do it in a minute)!

I do understand you need the boum boum for your application!

For my personal opinion, as a "disco" user, compared to others how do you rate it?

Pro and cons?

PSS AUDIO

Re: Your right about some things......

BTW, the amp ran at 4 ohms per channel, and although it was exhausting warm air it didnt overheat on me, so if it works for me, for the amount of hours I run, at almost full power, it will work for any one!
    Now you do understand how nice is my cooling system!

Out of the same, I pull from a 3 unit box, still 10 inches depht, 2x1200W under 4 ohms... with 2x1600 VA transformers...

well.......

Most nightclubs want the exaggerated boom, and rumble. This amp is very clean, but accurate, and I would try a lower powered model from on my Mid horns! I like the thump from woofers, but I like clean and sweet from the horns! Its imaging is good! As I said, there is definitely a place for these amps! Im also sure there are those who do not want their bass to do what mine does! The midrange from 750Hz-7K will be interesting, but this amp is alot of power for my horns! But Im curious to hear it play this range, so I will..........

Cool

Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
    I am very glad reading you Scott and I appreciate this report!
    Group hug...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Question

Originally posted by boputnam
    Group hug...?
    Bo, I didnt know.........

Boom-Boom out go the lights.....Bumper cars.......then a hug? This board is morally disintegrating.....

Scott, you simply must have a listen to the amp full range or at the very least, driving mids and give us the scoop.

well.......

The amp ran midbass, so i have a pretty good idea of its midrange capabilities! Its smooth. I consider the horns to be high frequency and I will try it there, but this is alot more power than Ill ever need for my compression drivers, so it isnt an amp Id leave on the horns! Ill just never need what this amp can deliver at 6 ohms a side for JBL 2441,s!

But I will see how it sounds up there!

Scott,

Good review, sounds like a nice studio amp.

Ian

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Scott,

Good review, sounds like a nice studio amp.

Ian
    It is a studio amp in fact!

A studio amp that can be used hard, in fixed installation and even in clubs and places like Scott's one.

A quite universal amplifier, making just excellent music, not boum boum uh psssssst swiZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

An amplifier delivering great watts since the very first one and not tiring thus you can listen at it for hours and hours, night and day and all your life long as it also carries a 10 year warranty.

Yuri,

Sounds like there are plenty of opportunities then for those seeking quality sound that has to be appreciated.

Given the tonality of your design, have you attempted to grow the business in other than the big apple like OEM's for self powered monitors or sub amps, muti channel (hometheatre) which appear to be an emerging markets?

Ian

PSS AUDIO
    Scott,

Several questions!

Do you intend testing the amplifier on your horns as you seem to be reluctant as the amplifier is too powerful (if it works well it means that the very first watts delivered are good ones)?

You told us that you would test it too in an arcade as a full range amplifier.

When do you think you will have time achieving this test?

When we organized this review, your told us/me that you had several relatives interested in testing this amplifier.

Any planning?

I think that I am not the only one interested in this review!

Well.....

Possibly in the coming two weeks Ill have a few spare minutes to put this amp up on my horns, BUT, I run 3 JBL 2441J drivers per channel which is a nominal 6 ohm load, and this amp will produce considerably more power than I need for this range with my horns. Another item to point out is the 2.3v input sensitivity will not be responsive enough for this frequency range! But, I am curious to hear the tonality of this amp on my horns! I have always used a crown D-150A and I also have a Bryston 3B ST which both have 1v input sensitivities, as well as a McIntosh 2125, and this, to my ears, are the right amps for my mid horns. I like my system to have a very responsive feel and sound in all the ranges and this is why I do the gain structure that I do. When you step on the pedal she takes off like a Ferrari!

My freinds that want to hear this amp are away right now, Shorty is in Montreal, and Ed is away with his family for two weeks.

PSS AUDIO

Re: Well.....

... I run 3 JBL 2441J drivers per channel which is a nominal 6 ohm load ... is the 2.3v input sensitivity ... a crown D-150A and I also have a Bryston 3B ST which both have 1v input sensitivities, as well as a McIntosh 2125... When you step on the pedal she takes off like a Ferrari!
    Scott,

With a 6 ohm load the amplifier will deliver about 500 Watts.

As its input sensitivity is 2,3v and your system is set for amplifiers with 1V input sensitivity, it means that the PSS1200 will deliver 6 dB less than 500W.

In such a case it will deliver 125W and this meets what a DC150 will deliver with the same input!

Dynamic will be increased of 6 dB, you will get a better signal to noise ratio and you must hear more details with this PSS1200 than other amplifiers delivering only 100/150W!

It can be THE race:

Crown
    Bryston
    McIntosh
    PSS

Who will be the new Ferrari amplifier?

Are you steady?
    Ready?
    Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I dont know........

We have used bigger amps with lower input sensitivities before, and WE LIKE how a 100-125wpc, 1v input sensitivity amp sounds on our horns! When we have used bigger amps, I have always found them too hard to drive with high frequencies!

I LIKE 1V inputs for mid horns!

Thread Information