Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review of PSS1200 amplifier

PSS AUDIO

Review of PSS1200 amplifier

Dear all,

There we are, Scott received a PSS1200 amplifier and he will review it in a few hours.

As this amplifier will stay in North America as is not intended to be sent back in Europe, you can get in touch with Scott thus he can send you the amplifier for testing it and so on.

I will be pleased reading your feedback and I hope you will sincerely enjoy PSS amplifiers.

Are you ready?

Steady?

GO

Yuri

Would you be kind enough to post all of the specs about this amp?

Thank you.

Oldmics

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Oldmics
    Yuri

Would you be kind enough to post all of the specs about this amp?

Thank you.

Oldmics
    Oldmics,

Will this link do?

http://www.pssaudio.com/english/amps.htm

Alex Lancaster

Question Cooling?

Yuri:

In one of Your posts, You state that blowing air on the caps of the transistors gives better cooling; If You open a transistor up, You will find that the semiconductor is bonded to the plate, not the cap; If You run some thermal readings on the cap, plate, and aluminum plate where You screw up the transistors, I´m sure You will find some interesting data.

PSS AUDIO

Re: Cooling?

Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
    Yuri:

In one of Your posts, You state that blowing air on the caps of the transistors gives better cooling; If You open a transistor up, You will find that the semiconductor is bonded to the plate, not the cap; If You run some thermal readings on the cap, plate, and aluminum plate where You screw up the transistors, I´m sure You will find some interesting data.
    Alex,

I do know that the chip is bonded on the plate and not on the cap!

I even tried removing all the caps and compare is there were any significant improvement while blowing fresh air either on the caps or on the chips directly: they is no significant difference!

You are right when you say that there is different data’s measuring the temp on tot of the cap, between the cap and the plate and directly on the plate.

The hottest point is the junction of the cap and the plate, then the cap and the plate to finish with.

Our system is fabulous with small amplifiers (up to PSS1200). Never did they overheat.

It is true that we faced some problems with PSS2000 and 2400 amplifiers as they were overheating with a 4 ohms load and pushed at their limits. With an 8 ohms load and pushed at their limits it never overheated.

That is why we increased the thickness of the aluminium sheet from 4 to 6 millimetres, placed a more performing fan (120x120x38 mm) and placed more space between each rows of output transistors thus the fresh air can hit more aluminium.

Since we improved the system, more that a year ago, we have no more claims.

This cooling system can only be done with TO3 case transistors, not with plastic ones.

If you want to learn a little more about it, follow this link: http://www.pssaudio.com/english/art004.htm

Has anyone heard from Scott recently?

Ian

PSS AUDIO
    Unfortunately, no!

Yuri, I have not heard from Scott recently.

In order to get the review of your product under way can you confirm the deliver status of the review amplifer being sent to me?

On delivery I will review it out of the box with the JBL 4345 monitors, then run it in for a week and then provide a detailed review.

I also have a professional associate who may wish to assess the amplifier for live sound applications.

Jarrod lives not far from me and he may also wish to give an appraisal of the ampifier.

Ian

Ps I also review Red Wine while while playing JBL's....Bo's influence on me while I was away. California reds are quite good you know!
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 07-06-2004 at 02:00 AM.

Yuri,

I think you have the wrong impression of me here.

I have nothing to loose here, you your credibility if you pull out.

The above review could just as well be your amplifier under review. (unless you have a problem with your self esteem)

As any experienced reviewer knows, the sound of an amplifer is like a fine wine, it all comes down to taste and how you feel on the day.

I have previous written articles which have appeared in Australian HiFi magazine. Perhaps a review of your amplifier may find its way there as well!

I good faith I have deleted the above post and hope to hear from your distributor in due course.

Tell me, why is it they do not have one in stock?

Oh, I see the response below, yes the PR department is working briliantly. :o
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 07-06-2004 at 07:21 AM.

To Ian and Yuri, since the conversation is now primarily on review arrrangements between you two, could I ask you to move that portion of this thread to PM's?
    Regards

Don McRitchie

is it the weather ?

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    .... could I ask you to move that portion of this thread to PM's?
    well done Don

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

This is unfortunate

What a shame this is. I can't and do not believe Scott would leave the forum just to obtain a free amplifier. However, his absence does cause confusion to say the least.

Yuri's offer was damned generous and out of the ordinary.

Come on Scott!

At least let us know your alive!

Ken

here we go!

OK, first of all, let me tell all of you something, I DID NOT LEAVE THIS FORUM JUST TO OBTAIN A FREE AMP! I am very busy at this time of the year, and the whole last two weeks have been NON-STOP!

Anyway, I have listened extensively to this amp, and, I find it is a nice sounding amp, and its reliable! I do find the 2.3v input sensitivity somewhat hard to drive, but you can overcome this if you want to!

It makes nice, round, extended sounding bass, but IMHO, lacks the punch of a Crown, or crest! But, I dont feel this amp was ever intended to sound like a Crown. Where this amp excels is in the mids. very refined, very smooth, nice clean imaging! In the mids, Crowns can sound a bit rough and grungy, PSS is polite and very clear!

Despite its compact size, the amp puts out, and never overheated, or cut itself back, it just played and played!

I sometimes found the amp to be a bit too refined sounding and was missing that punch I like out of my fifteens, but the bass extension is what this amp will give you.

I dont know how it sounds on highs as i never put it on my horns or tweeters, and Im not sure I would choose an amp of this high power for highs or horns!

It definitely reproduces what you put into it, and sounds to be a very accurate amp.

As I said, it seems to be reliable for any purpose, cause if it works in here, IT WILL WORK ANYWHERE!

It does seem to pull little details out of the music in the range I used it, 30HZ-750HZ, and I could see people liking the amp for this!

Overall, its a good amp and will mate well with JBL,s, but I still would prefer a 1.75v input sensitivity, or 1.5v input sensitivity! I also want the slightly exaggerated HEFT on the low end the Crest offers, but even though the PSS was a bit lean for my taste, the notes were in fact VIVID and CLEAR sounding!

Oh and..........

I think Im going to use this amp for the system in my arcade BECAUSE its polite sounding. In the arcade room, sweet, and unoffensive sounding is the deal!

Of course, anyone who wishes to try the amp out is welcome, all you have to do is contact me, and i will arrange shiiping, you pay freight costs, and you can audition the PSA 1200!

At the present time, though, I am extremely busy, so, it will be a minute till things slow down and audio becomes the No.1 again!

But I do like the amp for some things, and is something I am considering getting some more of for certain applications! Home users will like this amp, I am pretty sure!

PSS AUDIO
    I am very glad reading you Scott and I appreciate this report!

You can go with it on your horns and tweeters; it will play as well as for your mids, even better!

It is true that this amplifier is not made for making boum boum in the bottom note but it pulls down the square signal flat down to 2/3 Hz.

Have you ever wondered why other amplifiers sound so “well” in the low and so “bad” elsewhere?

Because they are unable offering a nice sound all over the spectrum!

PSS is an amplifier intend to play full range, clear, nice, pure, with a lot of details! A bulb amplifier with the power and dynamic of a transistorized amplifier.

As you are using it in a “crowdie” place, imagine it playing on monitors… in a silent place.

It will be fiesta in HiFi.

About the 26 dB gain: by lowering the gain of an amplifier, it increases the signal to noise ratio and let you hear sounds you never heard before… It enhances too the stereophonic image.

BTW, is the amplifier connected on 8 or 4 ohms loads (this has some importance as the amplifier heats more with a 4 ohm load)?

Did you wire the inputs balanced or unbalanced?

What are your intention about this amplifier in the future and landing it to others thus we can also have their feedback?

Any pure audiophile in your area?
    Last edited by PSS AUDIO; 07-06-2004 at 02:28 PM.

Thread Information