Thread: speaker grill cloth recovering

speaker grill cloth recovering

any member want to help me out i have to recloth my grills but would rather have someone do it that knows how to do it correctly. i just recently bought a set of l112 that need to be reclothed and have already bought the cloth but dont want to make a mess. im willing to pay for the help. thanx brad

Hey welcome aboard! Performing grill cloth installation is not that hard and since you are half way there already, search through the threads here and you will find many threads on how to do it. I use contact cement from Home Depot and once you clean up the grill, you paint it on, let it dry and use a cheap iron (I have an old Black & Decker travel iron personally) on a medium-high heat to reactivate the glue.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Here is a very good thread on it and one I followed myself.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=7941

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

I like the contact cement method. Use a couple of coats of cement on the grill frame edges and let it dry. Then apply the new cloth using a clothes iron on moderate heat. Go around the frame slowly stretching and tacking the cloth with the iron. You may need to go around more than once to stretch the cloth tight.

Trim as needed.

No fuss, no mess.

I've used spray adhesive, which bonds immediately and can be peeled off again for adjustments. Biggest mistake I've made is stretching the fabric too tight, causing it to pull loose a few months later. It really takes very little stretching.

The other thing is that the Acoustimac fabric stretches only one way, where the original JBL fabric stretches both ways. This makes the corners a bit more of a challenge. Have twice as much fabric on hand as you need, and plan to do at least one of them twice. We learn by our mistakes.

I recently had Orange County Speaker recover a pair of L15 grills using Acoustimac brown cloth which I sent them along with the grills. I'm very impressed with their work; the finished job looks like they could have come from JBL that way. They charged me $60 to do the pair, plus $15 shipping; for L112s it might be slightly more. For something you prize and plan on keeping for a long time, I think it's worth paying to have done professionally. After you get them back you'll forget all about the cost.

Link: http://www.speakerrepair.com/

BTW, the brown cloth from Acoustimac almost perfectly matches the original JBL brown in color, although the grain is slightly different and actually looks to be higher quality than OEM.

Thread Information