Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any more news on project May?

I'm the current obstacle in the road to progress. I wanted to make the throats in one peice and I can get them geometrically correct but the tool path and finish is unsatisfactory to me. Long thin undercut tools and deflection make the internal corners not pretty. The horn should be cake, the throat has been hell.

I have sent the throat that I own, the Solidworks model and my program to a friend of mine who is way smarter than me who teaches CNC at a university and has the same machine as I do with the addition of fifth axis. He is going to run one and see if he can get me a four axis tool path that will run. If not I am just going to make them two peice, which should be a snap, it's just not how I want to do it.

I have none of the drivers.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Making the horns in 2 pieces i.e. throat/mouth is the way JBL do it IN THE 9900,66000,SAM1.
    CNC'd throat/horn should mate seamlessly so not sure why you are making life hard for yourself.

With such a long time passing perhaps the sota route would now reflect the M2?

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    ...and if we wait long enough there will be the JBL Ectoplasm drive system!

I just hope we all live long enough to see a finished speaker system.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ...and if we wait long enough there will be the JBL Ectoplasm drive system!

I just hope we all live long enough to see a finished speaker system.

Widget
    I favour waiting for the JBL Improbability Drive system;-)

As an alternative given the gestation why not use a TH4003 clone given the May project title and Ed May's association with Tad?

I mean find a worthy alternative and move forward and get the job out of the shop.

Obsolete
    I'm in the process of finding yet another cabinet maker and believe that I have found one local. Don has told me to go ahead whatever the cost. I just need to find the time to draw up new plans and get them over to the shop.

As for the horns, we purchased a pair of H4338 sonoglass back horns with the thought of building a pair of front horns out of wood. The TAD horns were discussed and nixed. I'm not too terribly concerned with the horns at this point and will use either the H4338 or H9800 dimensions to work up the new enclosure plans.

There seems to be a consensus on two methods with respect to the side walls.

1. Kerfed MDF with the kerfs filled with ultra fine finish sand blasting beads. JBL uses a prorietary goop that they won't divulge. I was told numerous times that they had serious problems building the Everest II enclosures and it took several attempts to come up with a suitable solution. I have no reason to doubt them. I suspect the glass beads add a substantial weight to the enclosure.

2. Laminated 3 mm baltic birch panels built up to ~25 mm, this would be similar to how other major manufacturers build their curved panels to excellent effect.

As for the components, I hope I am able to get the 1500AL's back from the forum member who was last going to build the enclosures. I no longer have any interest in getting the original Project May enclosure panels back. Mr. Widget and I had cut them all and finished the backs and baffles in the dead of winter years ago but they were never assembled by any forum members. I still have the 476Be's.

A world class DSP solution as witnessed via the Crown/M2 presentation is definitely the way to go with this caliber of components.

Nice to hear again

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'm in the process of finding yet another cabinet maker and believe that I have found one local. Don has told me to go ahead whatever the cost. I just need to find the time to draw up new plans and get them over to the shop.

As for the horns, we purchased a pair of H4338 sonoglass back horns with the thought of building a pair of front horns out of wood. The TAD horns were discussed and nixed. I'm not too terribly concerned with the horns at this point and will use either the H4338 or H9800 dimensions to work up the new enclosure plans.

There seems to be a consensus on two methods with respect to the side walls.

1. Kerfed MDF with the kerfs filled with ultra fine finish sand blasting beads. JBL uses a prorietary goop that they won't divulge. I was told numerous times that they had serious problems building the Everest II enclosures and it took several attempts to come up with a suitable solution. I have no reason to doubt them. I suspect the glass beads add a substantial weight to the enclosure.

2. Laminated 3 mm baltic birch panels built up to ~25 mm, this would be similar to how other major manufacturers build their curved panels to excellent effect.

As for the components, I hope I am able to get the 1500AL's back from the forum member who was last going to build the enclosures. I no longer have any interest in getting the original Project May enclosure panels back. Mr. Widget and I had cut them all and finished the backs and baffles in the dead of winter years ago but they were never assembled by any forum members. I still have the 476Be's.

A world class DSP solution as witnessed via the Crown/M2 presentation is definitely the way to go with this caliber of components.
    Hi 4313B,

I am very glad that You are again with us, after so long time has passed.

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi 4313B,

I am very glad that You are again with us, after so long time has passed.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Great to see you back again!
    I know you're busy, so no reply is needed, its just very, very nice.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

+1
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I'd say it's worth taking particular notice here, that the M2 includes a resistive pad within the horn network .

IME , the pad ( when bi-amping ) is a mandatory component ( usually over-looked ) that's critical to properly align the dynamics of the top end to those of the bottom end .

Without the pad ( & even with the components properly balanced to each other ), any such bi-amped system will eventually be deemed to be too horn-aggressive ( ie; "somethings just not right with horns" , etc. etc. etc. .

Thread Information