Thread: Altec 808-8B restoration/documentation question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Altec 808-8B restoration/documentation question

I'm putting together an Altec 2-way system(yup,the quest for parts and pieces!),and just got back two 808-8B's from Great Plains Audio.These are from a well known member here and also on AK,I had no reservations with doing this deal-So a big thanks to him,and also the fine folks at GPA.

So here's my question-
    How do I document what my 808-8B's modification was? Should I label each driver? When GPA has some foilcals availalable should I put one on so it's known what the driver "core" is,and label the outside with the service date and diaphragms installed?
    I had one missing cover assembly replaced on the 808's - part #604.GPA also did a standard service,and installed the #34647 diaphragms.The receipt also calls them the 902-8.
    The driver with the new cover now has NO foilcal with the model and ser #'s.The ink stamped #'s on the side of each driver seem to be consecutive,so I think they are consecutive drivers.
    How about this-
    1-Install the foilcal when available,and print a label with service date and parts installed,placed around the driver body.
    2-A copy of recepts in an envelope glued to the back of each speaker cabinet when they're done.
    Thanks for any help on this.I'm just trying to ask-What would YOU want to see if you opened my speakers for service 25 years from now?

edit...I could just print a label stating what model the "unmarked " driver is and forget the foilcal idea.I'd still label them with the service date and mods done.
    Last edited by terryblulite; 09-22-2009 at 04:35 AM. Reason: another possibiliy?

Thread Information