Thread: Altec 808-8B restoration/documentation question

Altec 808-8B restoration/documentation question

I'm putting together an Altec 2-way system(yup,the quest for parts and pieces!),and just got back two 808-8B's from Great Plains Audio.These are from a well known member here and also on AK,I had no reservations with doing this deal-So a big thanks to him,and also the fine folks at GPA.

So here's my question-
    How do I document what my 808-8B's modification was? Should I label each driver? When GPA has some foilcals availalable should I put one on so it's known what the driver "core" is,and label the outside with the service date and diaphragms installed?
    I had one missing cover assembly replaced on the 808's - part #604.GPA also did a standard service,and installed the #34647 diaphragms.The receipt also calls them the 902-8.
    The driver with the new cover now has NO foilcal with the model and ser #'s.The ink stamped #'s on the side of each driver seem to be consecutive,so I think they are consecutive drivers.
    How about this-
    1-Install the foilcal when available,and print a label with service date and parts installed,placed around the driver body.
    2-A copy of recepts in an envelope glued to the back of each speaker cabinet when they're done.
    Thanks for any help on this.I'm just trying to ask-What would YOU want to see if you opened my speakers for service 25 years from now?

edit...I could just print a label stating what model the "unmarked " driver is and forget the foilcal idea.I'd still label them with the service date and mods done.
    Last edited by terryblulite; 09-22-2009 at 04:35 AM. Reason: another possibiliy?

Quote Originally Posted by terryblulite View Post
    I'm putting together an Altec 2-way system(yup,the quest for parts and pieces!),and just got back two 808-8B's from Great Plains Audio.These are from a well known member here and also on AK,I had no reservations with doing this deal-So a big thanks to him,and also the fine folks at GPA.

So here's my question-
    How do I document what my 808-8B's modification was? Should I label each driver? When GPA has some foilcals availalable should I put one on so it's known what the driver "core" is,and label the outside with the service date and diaphragms installed?
    I had one missing cover assembly replaced on the 808's - part #604.GPA also did a standard service,and installed the #34647 diaphragms.The receipt also calls them the 902-8.
    The driver with the new cover now has NO foilcal with the model and ser #'s.The ink stamped #'s on the side of each driver seem to be consecutive,so I think they are consecutive drivers.
    How about this-
    1-Install the foilcal when available,and print a label with service date and parts installed,placed around the driver body.
    2-A copy of recepts in an envelope glued to the back of each speaker cabinet when they're done.
    Thanks for any help on this.I'm just trying to ask-What would YOU want to see if you opened my speakers for service 25 years from now?

edit...I could just print a label stating what model the "unmarked " driver is and forget the foilcal idea.I'd still label them with the service date and mods done.
    Terry, if you have had great Plains to replace the dia. with the aluminum version, you are almost to 802 8 G specs. Your 808 8B should have the tangerine phase plug like the 902, but still has the alnico mags of the rest of the 802 series. If you have removed the 808 8B loading caps and installed felts in the backs, you DO have 802 8 G, what I consider the best altec 1 inch compression driver. I believe Great Plains has 802 8 G foils,
    or just leave the 808 8B and know you converted them, that's the way mine are! The same dia. goes in 802 or 902 series.

russellc

Thanks,Russelc,and I think these are gonna be one heck of a top end on the "Kansas City" 811-Bs! Good to hear from you.GPA put in the good 'phragms,and these are the tangerine plugs.I'm leaving them as is with the cap.
    GPA said they were making a run of 802's and foils,but I wan't sure about putting a GPA 802 foilcal on one and leaving the original 808 Altec on the other.
    Would that be the way to go?

Thread Information