Thread: JBL L200 "like" speaker help with identification

JBL L200 "like" speaker help with identification

Hi again everyone.... yesterday I purchased some some speakers (not JBL's) from an older gentleman who had a killer vintage setup that had not been used in QUITE some time. All McIntosh separates, etc. and then I noticed some large JBL's neatly integrated into a LARGE custom crafted wall cabinet that fit his Frank Lloyd Wright type home style.... WOW!!!!! When I pulled off the grills they looked like what I've seen L200's look like from pictures but just turned sideways..... but they were not as the horn lenses which were to the left of the large woofers were pointed down and the cab's were not ported. Any help would be great as I'm considering buying a bunch more of his gear as he has lost interest in hifi long ago and quite elderly.

Pictures front and back if you have access to the drivers would be the only way to determine what a custom built speaker will have in it. Pics of the Mcintosh stuff is also fun.

Welcome to Lansing Heritage!

Be sure if you buy stuff to also ask for any documents, brochures, sales receipts, magazines or plans. Usually everything tends to go in one package if you're lucky enough.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

No pics yet... I'm actually going back over to his house tonight to help him get his system working again. He was considering selling as he hasn't used any of it in OVER a decade as there is a problem somewhere that he could not figure out. He is in his 80's plus all pieces are built into his custom wall cabinet and too heavy for him to be pulling out.... so I offered to come over and help diagnose the problem on my own time and get his system dialed in again. But honestly I can't wait to hear his JBL's and Mc gear in it's glory. Hopefully his 2205 is still OK. I will get some pics tonight. Hopefully he can enjoy his sweet hifi setup again in his golden years!

The speakers in question are C-45 Flair. I was able to sort out his audio gremlins and he is up and listening again with BIG smiles to his fine system. The Flairs sound GREAT! So my question is I did not get pics as it was late but was unable to find and Ohm rating on the speakers..... can anyone help me out?

What you were working on was probably the L45 Flair, which is sorta considered a Super L100. You'll find a wealth of information in the Library here under the L45 brochure:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/1974-l45.htm

The interesting part is that speaker box can be vertical or horizontal and could come with a variety of driver combinations so you'll have to fill us in on what you saw or think was in the cabinets. If you thought the speakers were L200 like with a slant acoustic lens, then probably the S4 (130A + LE175 + lens), S7 (LE15A with white/orange surround (or grey if refoamed) + LE85/Lens), or S8 (LE15A/big 375 compression driver/lens + 075 bullet tweeter) systems.

Interesting though that the box was not ported, it usually is with the typical JBL woofers. However, I don't know how they arranged the other systems on the baffle - I suspect they didn't quite use the same arrangement owing to the inclusion of the acoustic lens probably needing to move the tweeter.

Sounds like it was a lot of fun!
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

My bad.... I should have said that upon second inspection last night they were indeed ported. I should have gotten a picture... I may have to go back and do this and get numbers from the 15" woofs. The slant lenses were held on by velcro.

Just saw the L-45 pic you posted.... thanks. The grills on these speakers are exactly the same BUT turned sideways.

Thread Information