Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec 802 8G what horn ?

Altec 802 8G what horn ?

Has anybody tried the 802 8G either with a 32B fiberglass horn or with the mntaray from model 14 ?

Thanks .

802 8G either with a 32B fiberglass horn
    e.g. a Model 15? I would think so (not me, though).

or with the mntaray from model 14
    would it even fit, assuming you wanted to do so?

(more questions than answers...)

Yes , the model 15 horn , ( fiberglass) matched with the 416 8B and the N1201 8A customs xovers , the 14 was the MR931-12 heres the link

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...0HF%20Horn.pdf

802-8G has VHF capability with that crossover. It will not survive the trip around the M15's bent throat very well, however.

The M14 MantaRay's asymmetry is a neat idea, and since 902s fit on them, I see no reason why 802s wouldn't.

MantaRay is old tech, and that one doesn't sound all that good in my experience. I'd move up to the modern 14" x 10" QSC waveguide, $8 apiece, as disclosed in a recent thread here....

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...882#post262882

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    802-8G has VHF capability with that crossover. It will not survive the trip around the M15's bent throat very well, however.

The M14 MantaRay's asymmetry is a neat idea, and since 902s fit on them, I see no reason why 802s wouldn't.

MantaRay is old tech, and that one doesn't sound all that good in my experience. I'd move up to the modern 14" x 10" QSC waveguide, $8 apiece, as disclosed in a recent thread here....

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...882#post262882
    Great ,

The other option will be a 650HZ Edgar Tractrix Horn , ill check your link .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joaquin View Post
    Great ,

The other option will be a 650HZ Edgar Tractrix Horn , ill check your link .

Thanks
    Tractrix beams, so it's gotta be 3-way if you build with them, unless you don't care about directivity.... :dont-know

Tractrix beams, so it's gotta be 3-way if you build with them, unless you don't care about directivity.... :dont-know
    Zilch ; Im not sure what you mean with "beam" can you elaborate please .

Beamwidth narrows with increasing frequency, in the last octave, 10 - 20 kHz, particularly....

Beamwidth narrows with increasing frequency, in the last octave, 10 - 20 kHz, particularly....
    Ok ill understand , have you heard the ah1000! horns ?

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    I havent hear them , anyway i found them highly priced for a wood horn .

I use the 802-8G in a 32B fiberglass horn. I think it is a terrific combination with very smooth, detailed and extended highs. The comment below about how the very high frequencies won't make it around the right-angle bend in the 32B horn makes perfect sense....until you hear it. There is no loss of very high frequencies to my ears. What I do hear is the absence of typical horn colorations.

Quote Originally Posted by Salectric View Post
    I use the 802-8G in a 32B fiberglass horn. I think it is a terrific combination with very smooth, detailed and extended highs. The comment below about how the very high frequencies won't make it around the right-angle bend in the 32B horn makes perfect sense....until you hear it. There is no loss of very high frequencies to my ears. What I do hear is the absence of typical horn colorations.
    Thanks , in respect to resonance any word? also what xover and woofer are you using ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "resonance." Are you referring to possible ringing of the horn due to its being inside the woofer cabinet? If so, I can't say I've ever noticed any problem. It may be the fiberglass horn (32B) has less of a problem with this than the metal version (32A). Certainly if you tap the side of the horn, the metal rings more than the plastic. However, I've heard both of them while being mounted in a woofer cabinet, and I haven't noticed any ringing problems with either.

As for crossovers, I have tried a number of variations but right now I am happy using the standard Altec crossover designed for my particular drivers. The Altec 9849 speaker used a 414 woofer (8 ohm version) with a 802-8G in a 32A or B horn. It has a 1500 Hz crossover with 12db slopes and a zobel network on the woofer to account for the 414's rising response above the crossover frequency. The zobel knocks the efficiency down a bit, so the final efficiency works out to 93 db or so. But the tradeoff is well worth it in my opinion. The 9849 crossover has more extended bass and highs than any of my homemade crossovers, and it is smoother, more detailed and more coherent, despite the fact that my homemade versions use very high quality parts. The 9849 crossover is sometimes labelled 32343. They come up from time to time on Ebay.

By the way, even though I am using the same drivers and crossover as the 9849, my cabinet is different. The 9849 cabinet is an odd looking thing that appears to be intended for ceiling mounting since the horn is mounted underneath the woofer. I built a bass reflex cabinet using the volume and port area of the Altec 614 cabinet. Its dimensions are more conventional for a floor standing speaker and put the horn at ear height. I actually use it on top of a massive steel stand (Sound Anchors) that elevates the cabinet by 6". The Sound Anchor stand made a substantial improvement in all aspects of the sound but especially bass extension and control.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Salectric View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "resonance." Are you referring to possible ringing of the horn due to its being inside the woofer cabinet?
    Dave , yes , im referring to the ringing , particulary with the 811B horn . With several upgrades in the chain ( powercords and conditioners ) ill notice the ringing increase to annoying levels . I think its because there is more energy available on the 802 8G so the horn rings .

Nice idea , the 9849 its a compact design , i was thinking in the same enclosures . I wonder how will they sound with the 416 8B .

The 19th are too big for my living room . Can you post some pictures ?

Thread Information