Thread: JBL 4410 Recommended Amp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL 4410 Recommended Amp

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I have a pair of JBL 4410s. I was wondering what amp you would recommend for them? Whats tried and true etc... I have them for my home studio setup for recording and want to move on to an amp that suits the speakers. I figured you guys would be the most knowledgeable.

Thank you very much,

James

Quote Originally Posted by bekman View Post
    This is my first time posting here. I have a pair of JBL 4410s. I was wondering what amp you would recommend for them? Whats tried and true etc... I have them for my home studio setup for recording and want to move on to an amp that suits the speakers.
    Welcome.

It really doesn't make a lot of difference and the answers will likely just include everyone's favorite amps . . . so I'll start with mine.

I have a pair of 4412As and a pair of L80Ts. The latter is nearly identical to your 4410 in driver complement. I use them both with Crown amps. Sometimes that's a PS-400 and sometimes that's a PS-200. Those are essentially a more modern version of the Crown DC300A-II and the D150A-II which would likely have been a pretty common amp for your monitors when they both were new and outfitting professional studios back then. The speakers are rated at 125w and normally JBL recommends an amp capable of twice the rated capacity to ensure adequate headroom. So a 200wpc amp would be about right.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I was just browing the internet to see what I currently have as an amp. It looks to be a JBL/Urei SR6630 amp. I got it from work. It was overheating when kept on for long periods of time due to a fan being out. Also the 4410s are rated at 125 watts correct?

-James

Thanks. I was posting that last thread when you replied. Ive been out of amp and speaker world for a little while. Shame on me... And thanks for your info. Other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-James

... And thanks for your info. Other feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    One of the nice things about the old Crowns is they have/need no fan. The smaller of the older JBL/Urei 6200 amps don't have them, either. Maybe there's an old 6260 laying around in a back room at work??
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Looks like there is a Hafler pro 1200 and two Halfer p1000s in the back room.

So I got home and found out its a JBL/UREI SR 6615. Long story short I thought originally the amp was too much for the speakers but I was mistaken. I cranked her up and its very hissy. Hence why it was on the shelf. Once you raise some program volume to mask the hiss it sounds great considering. I almost forgot why I love these speakers. Looks like when I can get a chance Im going to pick up an older crown as the price seems right. Im going to trace the hiss down and try to rule everything else out.

Thanks,

-James

Long story short I thought originally the amp was too much for the speakers but I was mistaken.
    IMHO, there's really no such thing as too much amp. If it runs clean at the level you're using, then that's all you should really be concerned with. If the noise floor is so high it takes 90dB to overcome then you probably don't want it in your home or with efficient speakers. A clean, powerful amp will blow you out of the room before it damages most of these speakers. Low power is far more dangerous to your speaker components. :dont-know

Thread Information