Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2213H & 123A-3 Mac Kenzie re-cone kits

I wonder what the profit margins are on legacy re-cones, for example?

Since they don't really have a JBL retail system for new products in the U.S., at least their legacy parts sales currently make money for the company.

I would assume if their plan is to eliminate legacy parts sales in the near future that perhaps they are also considering re-establishing a retail network for new systems in the U.S.

Since new system sales would likely compete with legacy sales, elimination of legacy sales, where profit margins would likely be lower, may be the reason.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    their legacy parts sales currently make money for the company.
    Evidently the bean counters aren't impressed.

Also realize that the bean counters are very probably outsourced and have no actual stake in the company as a legacy. To them it is very probably "just a job". There is no labor of love here. Those guys and gals are gone.

Anyone tried these yet or know of actual experiance with them?

If the build quality is as claimed, It seems like a worth while option.

I have four pair that need re-coning, so I'm going to give one pair a try, and see how iy goes.

SB

I find it hard the believe that repair parts aren't profitable. I don't see a lot of costs for R&D, marketing, or inventory. I can't think of many products that sell themselves as easily as a recone kit.

Case in point...$94 to recone a LE25-2. Ignoring labor costs, does the repair kit really cost more to make than what goes into a $15 parts express tweeter?

Does anyone really believe recones are scavenging from the new equipment sales? Given the premium cost of JBL drivers, I would look long and hard at the competition.

Maybe the key is to sell the process as "green" and good for the environment.

Oh well. Once they drop the repair parts I'm sure the "LH approved" stamp will really mean something to the vendors that are willing to step in to fill the void with quality products.

You have a large company and costs get amortized across the entire enterprise. Not a bad thing, it just is. It costs money to keep parts on a shelf, to stock a warehouse. And you need someone to make sure the replacement parts are at least the equal of the original. And if they are not? How do you know the repairs are done properly with the correct parts?
    What do you plan to warrantee? And on what terms?

Just-in-time supply is great for current production lines, but sucks regarding the long tail of older products that are not as popular or in as much demand. What is the cost of having someone crank out 50 or 100 of an older part, then stocking the remainder for a few years? What if its 600 different items, or 3600?

Walmart sez - you manufacture and warehouse all this stuff and we'll tell you when to send the next load ... Our stock is on the floors, in the stores. Old products? nah, buy a new one ... we aren't in the vintage business, its all "what have you bought from me lately?"

And - "LH approved" parts?? oh come on now, you're just blowing smoke there!

Quote Originally Posted by dprice View Post
    I find it hard the believe that repair parts aren't profitable. I don't see a lot of costs for R&D, marketing, or inventory. I can't think of many products that sell themselves as easily as a recone kit.

Case in point...$94 to recone a LE25-2. Ignoring labor costs, does the repair kit really cost more to make than what goes into a $15 parts express tweeter?

Does anyone really believe recones are scavenging from the new equipment sales? Given the premium cost of JBL drivers, I would look long and hard at the competition.

Oh well. Once they drop the repair parts I'm sure the "LH approved" stamp will really mean something to the vendors that are willing to step in to fill the void with quality products.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by gsb001 View Post
    2213H & 123A-3 Mac Kenzie re-cone kits
    Hi Everyone,
    Searched site and found no results.
    I’m looking for thoughts, input, feed back, experience, ETC on Mac Kenzie aftermarket re-cone kits. Build quality, sound quality and install.
    http://reconekits.com/jbl2213h.aspx
    I replaced pair of 2212’s with new JBL re-cones kits last year and they made a huge difference in the sound quality. It’s very easy to tell the difference between speakers with new cones and 20 + year old ones.
    I’ve bought used complete speakers with hit and miss results. Can’t find any on the normal sites right now, so I’m researching re-cone kits.
    Mac Kenzie sell pairs of 2213H for $140.00 compared to JBL’s at $370 a pair.
    Guaranteed to be at or better then original factory specs.
    Thanks - SB
    If they did Le8t I'd confirm it for everybody......

Quote Originally Posted by gsb001 View Post
    Anyone tried these yet or know of actual experiance with them?

If the build quality is as claimed, It seems like a worth while option.

I have four pair that need re-coning, so I'm going to give one pair a try, and see how iy goes.

SB
    Do you happen to be in possession of Woofer tester, or other T/S measuring apparatus? Would be interesting to see how they come out after breakin.

Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    You have a large company and costs get amortized across the entire enterprise. Not a bad thing, it just is. It costs money to keep parts on a shelf, to stock a warehouse. And you need someone to make sure the replacement parts are at least the equal of the original. And if they are not? How do you know the repairs are done properly with the correct parts?
    What do you plan to warrantee? And on what terms?

Just-in-time supply is great for current production lines, but sucks regarding the long tail of older products that are not as popular or in as much demand. What is the cost of having someone crank out 50 or 100 of an older part, then stocking the remainder for a few years? What if its 600 different items, or 3600?

Walmart sez - you manufacture and warehouse all this stuff and we'll tell you when to send the next load ... Our stock is on the floors, in the stores. Old products? nah, buy a new one ... we aren't in the vintage business, its all "what have you bought from me lately?"

And - "LH approved" parts?? oh come on now, you're just blowing smoke there!

Sad part of it is though that you are describing a VERY modern (recent) business model.
    Didn't use to be that way and we got along fine, buying new toasters or fixing old ones.
    Hell of a lot more economic stability and you could actually walk down main street U.S.A. and BUY STUFF from actual STORES and stuff!

"New World Order" & it's degenerate sibling "The Global Economy"

It's a damn shame.

Thomas

Sorry.
    Didn't mean to ramble, BUT
    My "legacy" JBLs (aside from their fabulous sound) also give me comfort
    in being something tangible from MUCH better times.
    Not to mention the fact that they blow away most of the "consumer" crap that's out there for just pennies on the dollar because "they're old".
    I'll take that!

Thomas

Don't I know it!
    I grew up with older stuff, and have all kinds of what is now called "vintage" gear around. Sunbeam mixers, Waring blenders, Eico scopes, and all that 70s era audio stuff from JBL and UREI ...
    Heck, I just bought a 60s era wall unit for my office - tho the pic is the previous owner's arrangement, (I'm in the midst of painting my office wall before setting it up).
    Won't find THAT puppy at Wally World!

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Sad part of it is though that you are describing a VERY modern (recent) business model.
    Didn't use to be that way and we got along fine, buying new toasters or fixing old ones.
    Hell of a lot more economic stability and you could actually walk down main street U.S.A. and BUY STUFF from actual STORES and stuff!

"New World Order" & it's degenerate sibling "The Global Economy"

It's a damn shame.

Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Love the styling on the wall unit, though the irony that the prior owner had JBL Creature computer speakers on it is funny

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Love the styling on the wall unit, though the irony that the prior owner had JBL Creature computer speakers on it is funny
    Well, what can I say ... ?
    Me - I need to find another clean pair of L20T3s to stick up top -
    once I get it all reassembled.

My younger brother teaches 9th-10th grade science classes. One day (2008) the electric pencil sharpener quit working. During a quiz, he pulled out a screwdriver and took it apart. The students were intruiged. "What are you doing?" one asked. "Trying to fix it", he replied. And this went on for a few minutes until he found the loose whatever it was and fixed the $15 pencil sharpener. The students seemed most amazed at the attempt to actually fix something that he didn't know about (he never studied pencil sharpener repair but once owned a 1978 Chevy Monza a fact that he would not divulge for some reason) rather than simply buying a new one. It seems that those born in 1984 don't seem to understand the repair concept.

It may take a while but I believe that the great recession and the internet may combine forces to convince folks that they really can can fix lots of the crap they already own rather than just buying new crap.

Sorry for the rant. I am preaching to the choir here about fixing old, but good, stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Well, what can I say ... ?
    Me - I need to find another clean pair of L20T3s to stick up top -
    once I get it all reassembled.
    I've got some L20Ts in line for some new cherry veneers...lemme know if you'd like a different finish instead...

...also let me know if you want me to close up the rear port & install it in the front face! Oh, and the grilles were going to get the famous & controversial Nightbrace brown cloth, I suppose that can be altered, too. JBL blue?

je

Quote Originally Posted by dprice View Post
    My younger brother teaches 9th-10th grade science classes. One day (2008) the electric pencil sharpener quit working. During a quiz, he pulled out a screwdriver and took it apart. The students were intruiged. "What are you doing?" one asked. "Trying to fix it", he replied. And this went on for a few minutes until he found the loose whatever it was and fixed the $15 pencil sharpener. The students seemed most amazed at the attempt to actually fix something that he didn't know about (he never studied pencil sharpener repair but once owned a 1978 Chevy Monza a fact that he would not divulge for some reason) rather than simply buying a new one. It seems that those born in 1984 don't seem to understand the repair concept.

It may take a while but I believe that the great recession and the internet may combine forces to convince folks that they really can can fix lots of the crap they already own rather than just buying new crap.

Sorry for the rant. I am preaching to the choir here about fixing old, but good, stuff.

I can't help but imagine that 9th and 10th graders in 2008, that were born in 1984 WOULD be "intrigued and amazed".
    Bet watching pop corn pop would be like an acid trip!

Thomas

Thread Information