Thread: Thanks Saeman, my 4350's are reborn!

Potential problem with polarity on Riessen 3107?

I'm finally changing the original 3107 from my 4350A's with crossovers I bought from Rick Riessen about a year ago. Upon inspecting the units, I observed that there seems to be a polarity inversion on the Medium Frequency driver. If you look at the attached photo, the labels corresponding to all RED wires are +, except for the medium frequency driver, labeled respectively +MF and -MF, but with wires respectively colored black and red, which seems to be an inversion.
    I tried contacting Rick Riessen, but I also noticed that he hasn't posed here in a while. Has anyone purchased similar units from him and observed the same problem, or is it indeed correct as labeled?

Thanks (I'm impatient to listen to these now)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

- I believe your worries are misplaced .

- The original 3107 network schematic indicates that the horn driver is flipped in polarity ( when compared to the UHF "tweet" and the mid twelve ) / just like the crossover that you bought, shows .

- ie; Your crossover appears to be "pre-flipped" ( before that white plastic molex strip ) / just follow the labelled hookup directions ( & forget about the color of the wire inside of the crossover ) .

- 3107 network schematic

>< cheers

ps; FWIW, Rick Riessen now uses the handle of ; "saeman" ( did you try "pm-ing" that name ? )

Thanks. I had no doubts, but before sending 400w through this I wanted to make sure. Mounting them right now, first listening in a couple of hours...

Thanks Saeman, my 4350's are reborn!

I finally spent a few hours of fitting Saeman's crossovers replacement to my 3107's in my pair of vintage 4350A's.
    One single word: Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Holy frigging s**t! My speakers are reborn!!! They finally sound as accurate, responsive and balanced as my near field Genelecs, but much bigger.
    I had all but given up on them, but no longer. WOW!!!

Thank you Rick Riessen!!!!

Thanks for the kudos but I have only been the gopher, marketing manager/middle man in this project. I have supplied mounting boards, some of the wiring harnesses and final assembly. Member 4313B has done all of the design and major assembly work so he is the guy who deserves your praise.

The C.C. network project is near 3 years in the making. To this date all 3107's networks have been built and the 3 remaining 3155 network pairs are in final assembly. The remaining efforts will be assembly of many many pairs of 3145's that have been spoken for for some time. We hope to see the end of this initial run by the end of this year. At that time we hope to start over and build additional 3107's and 3155's.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by saeman View Post
    Thanks for the kudos but I have only been the gopher, marketing manager/middle man in this project. I have supplied mounting boards, some of the wiring harnesses and final assembly. Member 4313B has done all of the design and major assembly work so he is the guy who deserves your praise.

The C.C. network project is near 3 years in the making. To this date all 3107's networks have been built and the 3 remaining 3155 network pairs are in final assembly. The remaining efforts will be assembly of many many pairs of 3145's that have been spoken for for some time. We hope to see the end of this initial run by the end of this year. At that time we hope to start over and build additional 3107's and 3155's.

Rick
    I have a DIY custom made vertical 4350's, are these networks available for purchase? I am currently using 3107's, the 2440's are not well balanced in the 3107 resulting in louder than normal upper midrange.
    I even thought about installing some type of volume control just to tame the big compression driver, but if I can obtain one of these networks that would be ideal.

Thanks,
    Vahe

Quote Originally Posted by j20056 View Post
    I'm finally changing the original 3107 from my 4350A's with crossovers I bought from Rick Riessen about a year ago. Upon inspecting the units, I observed that there seems to be a polarity inversion on the Medium Frequency driver. If you look at the attached photo, the labels corresponding to all RED wires are +, except for the medium frequency driver, labeled respectively +MF and -MF, but with wires respectively colored black and red, which seems to be an inversion.
    I tried contacting Rick Riessen, but I also noticed that he hasn't posed here in a while. Has anyone purchased similar units from him and observed the same problem, or is it indeed correct as labeled?

Thanks (I'm impatient to listen to these now)
    Anyone Know a source for those nice little connector strips? sorry about the OT, but I've been looking for those little buggers.

P.S. Nevermind. Google is my friend, once I figured out they were "molex" strips.....

russellc

Obsolete

Thread Information