Thread: Altec coil values

Altec coil values

I have several pair of the pictured Altec 23405 coils I'd like to maybe use, but I can't find their rated impedance. Anyone know what it is? These were used in lots of Altec crossovers, Santana II's, even some of the pro stuff. A Santana II x-over schematic should give the value.

Name:  Altec coils.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  33.8 KB

- I don't know the answer but ;

- You could always have someone measure their values for you / if you don't have the now-how ( or equipment ) to do it for yourself .

- Also, a search of Ebay shows many available ( some very affordable ) LCR meter(s) that will do an adequate job of measuring the inductance of a coil .

>< cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - I don't know the answer but ;

- You could always have someone measure their values for you / if you don't have the now-how ( or equipment ) to do it for yourself .

- Also, a search of Ebay shows many available ( some very affordable ) LCR meter(s) that will do an adequate job of measuring the inductance of a coil .

>< cheers
    Bought a new BK Precision 875A meter. Should probably have one anyway. $75 shipped. Looks like maybe BK's school or institutional grade stuff? As expensive as coils are nowadays, it will pay for itself if I can use this stack of Altec stuff.

PS: the coils all measured 1/2 mH.

Quote Originally Posted by ROSSO
    Bought a new BK Precision 875A meter. Should probably have one anyway. $75 shipped. Looks like maybe BK's school or institutional grade stuff? As expensive as coils are nowadays, it will pay for itself if I can use this stack of Altec stuff.
    Nice ! I've always been pretty partial to B&K stuff . That's a fair price for a meter like that when shipping is included into the deal .
    PS: the coils all measured 1/2 mH.
    Do you mean .5 mH ? ( sorry to be thick, it's just that I usually don’t see inductance expressed as fractions ) .

>< cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Nice ! I've always been pretty partial to B&K stuff . That's a fair price for a meter like that when shipping is included into the deal .

Do you mean .5 mH ? ( sorry to be thick, it's just that I usually don’t see inductance expressed as fractions ) .

>< cheers
    Yes - 0.5xx mH, +/-. I measured six of them, three pairs of obviously different production eras.

another point of interest in measuring coils...

is the DCR (Direct Current Resistance) of the coil is usefull to know. Especially in the MF/HF sections of crossovers as it helps set the "Q" of the crossover!

4313B has talked about this several times in this forum. Do a search and you should be able to find threads where he has discussed this matter.

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    is the DCR (Direct Current Resistance) of the coil is usefull to know. Especially in the MF/HF sections of crossovers as it helps set the "Q" of the crossover!

4313B has talked about this several times in this forum. Do a search and you should be able to find threads where he has discussed this matter.

Regards, Ron
    DCR is 0.29-0.30 ohms for all six.

wire is 0.040" o.d. - looks like 18 AWG.

Thread Information