Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring L150's need PR300 passive radiators

Wow,

this is all good info, I think I'm going to look for some 044 tweeters after I find the PR300 passive radiators.

Looking at the ebay links I saw a pair of speakers I use to have; when I got married my wife said they were too big and that I should get rid of them. They were L-65 Jubals. I sold them for 250.00 in 1990. To be fair we were living in a mobile home at the time... but still...

That starting-bid-of-$1000 pair may be sitting there for a while. The pair at $600 with thirteen bids already has a chance to be a record-setter, and I linked to them yesterday in another thread. Great speakers. I already own a pair—but not for long if this is the money they're bringing in the worst economy in a quarter century.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

The pair at $600 with thirteen bids already has a chance to be a record-setter
    ... which is a crime. If they were lighter (re shipping), they should out-
    run L112's (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That starting-bid-of-$1000 pair may be sitting there for a while. The pair at $600 with thirteen bids already has a chance to be a record-setter, and I linked to them yesterday in another thread. Great speakers. I already own a pair—but not for long if this is the money they're bringing in the worst economy in a quarter century.
    Pristine L150As have sold for $1K before. I have the original dealer sales receipt for my pair which was for $950, but was prolly a close-out after they were discontinued.

I finally got around to looking this up. Here's the main reason why one should use the 150A XO instead of the 150 XO if you are swapping tweets:

033 has a nominal DC resistance of 3.6-4.4 ohms
    044 has a nominal DC resistance of 5.4-6.6 ohms

This difference will result in the N150 XO not functioning to spec. I leave it to someone else to say what it would do in terms of XO point and slopes. But the best solution would be a modified N150 XO or just using a N150A.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Pristine L150As have sold for $1K before. I have the original dealer sales receipt for my pair which was for $950, but was prolly a close-out after they were discontinued.
    rd: I'm certainly not comparing current used L150A prices with sold-new pricing from thirty years ago! Just with what they've been bringing lately, or even over the past five years!

grumpy: We all know any vintage JBL that has already received fourteen bids with three-days left will most likely continue to climb. Don't despair; these L150As should eclipse L112s in value, and probably will. But there's that WAF, their size, shipping, etc. to consider. Don't get me wrong; I'm cheering for them!

My L150As are the first JBLs I bought after joining this group, on a tip from Don Mascali. It's probably time to get them out of their boxes again.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

No despair intended That folks are willing to spend twice that on something
    new and get half the speaker, and none of the support does make me... er...
    ...ok, I'm Grumpy, and I'm an audio dinosaur.

Quote from rdgrimes: I have one that has a new surround installed on the front of the cone. I replaced it with one I got off the bay for cosmetic reasons. Make me an offer I can't refuse

Do you have a pair or just one? I'd be interested if you have a pair.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I have two l150A's

Hi Guys,

I have two 150A's WITHOUT the woofers.. Used them for a subwoofer that I built. The passives were professionally refoamed a couple years go. Tweeters and midranges are in good shape. Crossover is original. The cabinets are finished in black and the grill cloth is grey..

They are just sitting in my bedroom and would like them to go to a good home.

Problem is, I live in San Jose, CA and don't want to mess with shipping..

Let me know if you want to make a trip to get them.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tjrad View Post
    Drat geography!

If you do decide to part them and ship, the tweeters wouldn't be too much trouble and I'd love to have them as spares for my L150A, L112, L96 collection! Gray grilles would be the cat's PJs, too!

Thanks for offering them here.

Quote Originally Posted by tjrad View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have two 150A's WITHOUT the woofers.. Used them for a subwoofer that I built. The passives were professionally refoamed a couple years go. Tweeters and midranges are in good shape. Crossover is original. The cabinets are finished in black and the grill cloth is grey..

They are just sitting in my bedroom and would like them to go to a good home.

Problem is, I live in San Jose, CA and don't want to mess with shipping..

Tom
    One word: craigslist
    In that area, someone will snap them up.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That pair sold for something in the $800s. This pair brought the full $1200:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here's a pair of L112 XOs:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L112-SPEAKER...d=p3286.c0.m14

Thread Information