Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring L150's need PR300 passive radiators

Restoring L150's need PR300 passive radiators

Hello, first time posting but always have respected Lansing products...

Found a pair of L150's at a garage sale yesterday for 20.00. They need some TLC. The Cabs are OK but the woofers need refoaming; the mid and tweeters are OK but someone did a sloppy rewire to a bigger gauge wire and possibly a failed attempt of trying to bi-amp. The bottom 12" holes were empty and not being familiar with these speakers I thought they were missing some woofers but come to find out they are passive radiators.

I was wondering if anyone has any of these for sale.

Any other tips you might have for restoration would be appreciated.

TT

They do turn up on fleabay from time to time. Sounds like you have a lot of work to do, so consider converting these to L150A while you're at it.

I have one that has a new surround installed on the front of the cone. I replaced it with one I got off the bay for cosmetic reasons. Make me an offer I can't refuse.

Also note that people have run these speakers with the passive hole covered up. Or, take apart a 12" driver and use it as a passive.

Wait till you are certain the woofers are good before making a move, they may just be passive material whether you like it or not.

If you do a search for PR300 on Ebay, you will find a pair.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    If you do a search for PR300 on Ebay, you will find a pair.
    Or just click on this: http://ebayitem.com/330356729516

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hey maybe those came from tictac's speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Hey maybe those came from tictac's speakers?
    From Oregon to Arizona? Why not? :dont-know
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

So what's involved in converting L150's to L150A's?

Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    Crossovers and tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    You can use a crossover from L150A, L112 or L96. Swap in an 044 tweet and you're done. The L150A uses a cosmetically different mid driver (LE5-12), but they are sonically the same.

You can use a crossover from L150A, L112 or L96. Swap in an 044 tweet and you're done. The L150A uses a cosmetically different mid driver (LE5-12), but they are sonically the same.
    Sounds kind of like cannibalism to me!

Philosophical issue? Is it really enough of an improvement to the L150 to essentially sacrifice an L96 for the mods? (Obviously orphan parts would be best, but the question stands.)

:dont-know

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Sounds kind of like cannibalism to me!

Philosophical issue? Is it really enough of an improvement to the L150 to essentially sacrifice an L96 for the mods? (Obviously orphan parts would be best, but the question stands.)

:dont-know
    Agreed!
    I've never heard L112s or 96s, but I have L150s and like 'em very much the way they are.
    OTOH, if I had some 044s, X-Overs and L150s with dead tweeters....

The OP has questionable XOs so replacement or modification to 150A spec is a reasonable route to take. However, the XO points are not hugely different, and the 044 will operate just as well at 4K as it will at 3.7K. (maybe better) Obviously the LE5-10/12 can do either as well.

My own preference is for the 044 over the 033, and I would probably use that even with the L150 XO.

I don't think anyone suggested cannibalizing anything. The L96/L112/L150A XOs are often found for sale. Looking for all 3 simply widens the search. One other potential benefit from grabbing a pair of XOs would be having 2 pair of L-pads to choose from if you have one or 2 that are bad.

The biggest audible difference in the 2 XOs might be the 1000 vs 1100 XO point, but even that is arguable. However it does fall smack dab in the middle of most musical sounds. Questions of quality in the 2 XO designs I leave to someone else.

All this assumes that the goal is to have the most pleasing sound. If purity and keeping the speakers original is the goal then it's a different discussion. I think these speaker's previous owner has already made that choice for the OP.

The OP has questionable XOs so replacement or modification to 150A spec is a reasonable route to take. However, the XO points are not hugely different, and the 044 will operate just as well at 4K as it will at 3.7K. (maybe better) Obviously the LE5-10/12 can do either as well.

My own preference is for the 044 over the 033, and I would probably use that even with the L150 XO.

I don't think anyone suggested cannibalizing anything. The L96/L112/L150A XOs are often found for sale. Looking for all 3 simply widens the search. One other potential benefit from grabbing a pair of XOs would be having 2 pair of L-pads to choose from if you have one or 2 that are bad.

The biggest audible difference in the 2 XOs might be the 1000 vs 1100 XO point, but even that is arguable. However it does fall smack dab in the middle of most musical sounds.

All this assumes that the goal is to have the most pleasing sound. If purity and keeping the speakers original is the goal then it's a different discussion. I think these speaker's previous owner has already made that choice for the OP.
    Good points.

I have L150's and L150A's and they both rip quite nicely. I do prefer the A's though but for a reason that I cant quite put my finger on.

Allan.

Thread Information