Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MA-15 Clamps

MA-15 Clamps

I have a question about the MA-15 clamps. I have six sets. The clamps in two sets are heavy, nicely finished, natural metal color underneath and painted black on top, typical JBL product. The clamps in the other four are much lighter, a little smaller and have a sand-cast look under the silver (underneath) and black paint. It's definitely not the same metal. The screws and T-nuts all seem to be the same. Does anyone know if JBL actually made both types or if these second type are a knock-off? The second type I have in boxes with authentic-looking literature from the 70's and the Casitas Ave. address. The heavy, nicely finished ones I got with a pair of 2202 drivers a few months ago.

I have two concerns: One is whether I've bought knock-offs thinking I was getting JBL. The second would be a question about reliability.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

David

Hey, Dave...

Can you post some pics...? I've noticed Widget has slightly different clamps than I do - as does the damned Aussie...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Not immediately. I don't have a digital camera. Let me see what my scanner will do.

David

Here you can see most of the differences.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MA-15

Well i could tell you that the ones i recieved from JBL with the help of my broker "L-100" boputnam for my 4350 project are the same as the ones on the right hand side of your picture

Yes. The person I got those from probably bought them in the last ten years or so. If JBL made them both, those would be the more recent.

Thanks for the information.

David

Obsolete
    The right hand side is the genuine MA15 clamp that we've all known and loved for the past 30+ years.

That answers it.

Thanks,

David

Originally posted by Giskard
    The right hand side is the genuine MA15 clamp

As on the 4345's...4345 Monitor Plans Thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thanks, Bo.

That's a lovely big old badass woofer.

My flying BIN finger has got me in trouble here, fortunately not too bad--$12.50 a set. I've got an email out to the seller. We'll see what happens.

I'm trying to see how they got into the JBL boxes. I really don't suspect deliberate fraud. Somebody bought them, decided they suck, bought some real ones and dumped these in the boxes. They get sold at the estate sale and then show up on eBay.

Meanwhile I'm trying to think of some suitable use for these clamps. They look OK by candlelight.

David

Obsolete
    Originally posted by speakerdave
    Thanks, Bo.

That's a lovely big old badass woofer.

David
    It's a facade! That woofer is really only 16 ounces and is actually held in with double-stick tape. The clamps are used to make people think it is a "big old badass woofer". Oh wait... wrong thread... no... wrong forum...

Dammit Giskard!!

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Is there any benefit to using the kit as opposed to just using the mounting holes, tnuts and the screws. I have a my 2245Hs mounted with screws in each hole on the frame. Thats the way the (4645?) JBL sub cabinet came equipped.

Well, here's my final word on this. Both Alex and the seller (the latter rather adamantly) state that during a certain period JBL sent out both sandcast and diecast versions. I have no reason to doubt either of them, so that's it. Although not visually pleasing, the clamps may be seen as reliable, as far as I am concerned, and I plan to use them.

Thank you for all your assistance in clearing this up.

andresohc: reasons for using them. Well, first they're stylin' impressive. Two, they're faster because you can demount the woofer without taking the screws all the way out. Great for use on a test bed. Three, according to the JBL literature, they permit "a certain amount of flexibility in the diameter of the mounting cutout. . . ." That is, if you are trying to cut the holes with a sabre saw, you need these. Of course, I know Forumites all use the Jasper jig, so this last reason is unimportant. I doubt that any factory-built speaker ever showed up with these on. It would be much more expensive than just the screws and T-nuts.

David

Oh by the way

My B460 came with them and bo,s 4345 came with them and the 4350-55.s came with them.

Thread Information