Thread: Still Looking for jbl pr300's; So how do you make a passive radiator?

Still Looking for jbl pr300's; So how do you make a passive radiator?

I'm trying to rebuild a pairs of L-150's and I can't find any PR300 passive radiators for sale; I was outbid for a set on Ebay. I was reading a post where I think someone was saying you can make your own with an empty 12" speaker frame.

Has anyone done this? What kind of speaker frames would work best for this application? You'd have to remove the magnets wouldn't you? How can it be done without damaging the frames?

TT

Can you find the specs for them? If so there are others such as CSS, AE and Peerless that make 12" PR's that might be able to substitute in. Otherwise with driver T/S and box volumes, then some time with Unibox will get you alignments that will work with the existing LF drivers.

PR's are typically just a motorless frame with a surround and a flat disc, usually MDF or ply.

Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    I'm trying to rebuild a pairs of L-150's and I can't find any PR300 passive radiators for sale; I was outbid for a set on Ebay. I was reading a post where I think someone was saying you can make your own with an empty 12" speaker frame.

Has anyone done this? What kind of speaker frames would work best for this application? You'd have to remove the magnets wouldn't you? How can it be done without damaging the frames?
    You could start with this passive... it is certainly inexpensive enough to give it a shot.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-496

You will need to use Bass Box Pro or something similar and some test gear to determine the mass to be added to the PR.

Widget

found

I think I have an orphan pair in the garage - might need foam??

PM if still needed

sub

Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post

TT
    I don't mean to come across so hard here,but you needed a pair PR300's and were outbid at $56.50 +$15.00 shipping for the pair? If you really need a pair bad enough you shouldn't of been out bid at $56.50.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-12-JBL-PR300-P...d=p3286.c0.m14

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    I don't mean to come across so hard here,but you needed a pair PR300's and were outbid at $56.50 +$15.00 shipping for the pair? If you really need a pair bad enough you shouldn't of been out bid at $56.50.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-12-JBL-PR300-P...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Sure - I'd maybe have stopped at $100 or so (depending on how bad I wanted them) but surely not $56+15
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    For perspective, the CRPR300 recone kit is $149. It is currently out of stock.

As far as the "being outbid" thing goes I'm new at this JBL stuff so maybe you can cut me some slack?

I looked at the completed listings on Ebay before I placed my bid and found the previous set of PR300's went for $15.00 so I figured 50.00 was a decent bid.

I didn't realize Ebay bids would be criticized here or I would'nt have mentioned it...

Doggone, don't take it so personal - its not meant to be hateful ...
    Each and every one of us has seen something really cool or really needed go to another bidder for just a wee bit more than we bid ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information