Thread: Stealing Power From Powered Speakers

Talking Stealing Power From Powered Speakers

Okay I know this is a little off topic but if anyone can answer this before I kill myself ... I like to modify things because my needs are never fully met by what companies sell.
    The Question/Statement:

I am thinking about upgrading my PA and I really want powered monitors. I am thinking that as a completely bare minimum they can be no lower than 400watts continuous power. I still have 5 monitors that would almost become useless so I thought. Two of them are 250 watts max and they are pretty good sounding Soundtech monitors. One has an attentuator pad and the other is new with just two 1/4" inserts. So my thoughts are ... so I take a set of JBL EONs or any other set of powered monitors/2 way mains and steal power from the interal amp. I know this sounds crazy but listen to it all and maybe I am on to something. Very few companies offer this in there powered speakers and most of them are only for diy projects like the dayton power amp on partsexpress.com. So I am thinking about finding a set used for a decent price ... crack them open disconnect whatever they have going on like a return to the mixer or a signal pass through like some of the EONs. Then attach a wire from the main speaker/woofer to that plug. Then I run a 1/4 from the powered into a nonpowered monitor and I have two monitors now with power. I am thinking about doubling the ohms so I know I will lose a little bit of wattage but it should help protect the amp. The most I figure that I would run them is about an hour. I won't have to go past say ... 3/4 of the power. I figure keeping the gain down will help also but you know that is not also easy.

Anyways I am thinking about taking power from the internal amp of a powered 2 way speaker and running that "stolen" power into a jack then into a nonpowered lower wattage monitor. I will double the ohm (8 ohm operation into 10, 12, 14, or 16 just so long as it is larger).

Let me know if you have seen this done or have any advise what so ever.

Thanks
    AFF

If only they would make at least a 100watt line out on these things ... oh well I guess I have to make my own

Oh gosh - just buy some plate amps and be done with it!
    This seems seriously divergent with no particular gain to it ...

Quote Originally Posted by AFF View Post
    Okay I know this is a little off topic but if anyone can answer this before I kill myself ... I like to modify things because my needs are never fully met by what companies sell.
    The Question/Statement:

Anyways I am thinking about taking power from the internal amp of a powered 2 way speaker and running that "stolen" power into a jack then into a nonpowered lower wattage monitor. I will double the ohm (8 ohm operation into 10, 12, 14, or 16 just so long as it is larger).

Thanks
    AFF

If only they would make at least a 100watt line out on these things ... oh well I guess I have to make my own
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The Question/Statement:

I am thinking about upgrading my PA and I really want powered monitors. I am thinking that as a completely bare minimum they can be no lower than 400watts continuous power. I still have 5 monitors that would almost become useless so I thought. Two of them are 250 watts max and they are pretty good sounding Soundtech monitors. One has an attentuator pad and the other is new with just two 1/4" inserts. So my thoughts are ... so I take a set of JBL EONs or any other set of powered monitors/2 way mains and steal power from the interal amp. I know this sounds crazy but listen to it all and maybe I am on to something. Very few companies offer this in there powered speakers and most of them are only for diy projects like the dayton power amp on partsexpress.com. So I am thinking about finding a set used for a decent price ... crack them open disconnect whatever they have going on like a return to the mixer or a signal pass through like some of the EONs. Then attach a wire from the main speaker/woofer to that plug. Then I run a 1/4 from the powered into a nonpowered monitor and I have two monitors now with power. I am thinking about doubling the ohms so I know I will lose a little bit of wattage but it should help protect the amp. The most I figure that I would run them is about an hour. I won't have to go past say ... 3/4 of the power. I figure keeping the gain down will help also but you know that is not also easy.

Thanks
    AFF

Short version: I don't think it's worth it. The amps in the cabs you're looking to hack (and the crossovers, many are bi-amped) are made specifically for the speakers they're loaded with, and usually just barely do the job they're intended to do before running out of steam. Also, if they are bi-amped, the crossover setting will not be what your passive cabinet needs.

je

Okay

I was a little fearful of those answers. By the way ... do you have any good links for some plate amps? I have looked everywhere and all I have ever found is one or two Dayton plate amps that are 125 and 250 watts ... they allow daisychaining so you can running 2 cabs from it but that is all I have found. I know there are more but where???
    Thanks so much for your input everyone.

AFF

...the other is new with just two 1/4" inserts.
    I don't believe that is the proper terminology. Are these parallel inputs or outputs? "Inserts" serve a very different purpose.

I will double the ohm (8 ohm operation into 10, 12, 14, or 16 just so long as it is larger).
    I'm confused? If you add another cabinet this way you are likely halving the ohms - from say 8 ohms to 4. Check the manual to see if this load is recommended by the OEM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information