Thread: C51 Apollo

C51 Apollo

Just pick up a pair. Has only 1 wooden grille. Is there a place to buy one? The lacquer finish is aged and cracked. Is it better to leave it or refinish them.Does refinishing them take away the value? How do you clean the cones?

Quote Originally Posted by 2string View Post
    Just pick up a pair. Has only 1 wooden grille. Is there a place to buy one? The lacquer finish is aged and cracked. Is it better to leave it or refinish them.Does refinishing them take away the value? How do you clean the cones?
    ... continued from - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=26154

Dude - posting the same questions 6 times in 2 days in different threads will not make you friends here -
    let it lie a few days and maybe someone who knows will pop in and have some info for you, seriously ...

And no, I don't have any speakers with white woofers, so I don't know how to clean them - but - they are a treated cardboard/paper material, so its probably best to leave them alone, and not risk damaging the cones.

Grills are pretty much unavailable for those old handmade wooden grills (the ones that are a kind of latticework?).

You can probably make or have someone make a pair of new ones with grill cloth instead of the wood for your own use - just keep the original one for resale later ...

But the serious question is - do you like how they sound?

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Sorry I thought by changing the title and putting it under the DYI topic I would get a better response. I know they make sound but I have nothing to play through them yet. I was hoping someone could tell how they sound and if there worth refurbishing.

Speculating in Speakers ?

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by 2string
    Does refinishing them take away the value?
    - I'd refinish them only if my intent was to actually keep them for your own future enjoyment .

I was hoping someone could tell how they sound and if there worth refurbishing.
    - The mentioned components ( le14a & le85 ) are good parts / how well they actually play together within your combo ( with that LX7 crossover ) will be a "personal taste thing" .
    - Are you sure you have le85(s) and not the more commonly found le175(s) ?

How do you clean the cones?
    - The "white" color comes from an applied plastic coating ( over the paper cone ) called "Aquaplas" . Aquaplas came in a few colors .
    - IME, a tiny bit of water on the aquaplas doesn't hurt it at all ( or even soak in ) , .
    - A slightly damp "shop-towel" ( &/or slightly soapy with dish soap ) will suffice to wipe/scrub clean decades worth of grimey buildup .
    - Just go about it slowly / and avoid "wetting" the cones .

Just pick(ed) up a pair. (One Speaker) Has only 1 wooden grille. Is there a place to buy (just) one?
    - There's no place to buy a new grill / you'll need to bide your time to see if one appears on eBay ( & their appearance on the "Bay" over the last 8 years, happens only once in a blue moon, IME ) .
    - Though , ( more & more ) some eBay sellers scan this forum looking for " selling opportunities" / and then conveniently offer up their wares in a timely ( & targeted ) manner . ( Therefore you might get lucky with the filling of this somewhat oddball "need" ) .

The lacquer finish is aged and cracked. Is it better to leave it or refinish them (?).
    - Leave the cabinets alone if your intention is to ultimately sell these on eBay .
    - IME, cabinets rarely add value to these older 60s' offerings when eBayed ( with a few exceptions like the Metregon or Paragon ) .

- If your intention is to flip them for profit then ( & so you know ) ;
    (i) a pair of original le14a woofers will bring $100 to $ 200.00 on eBay
    - ( this is untouched / I wouldn't bother refoaming those surrounds to try to enhance their value ).
    (ii) a pair of L91 lens will easily bring $ 100.00 .
    (iii) a pair of le85s with H91 horns attached seems to bring $ 450 to $650.00 depending on condition & buyers moods ( assuming the red wax seals are all intact on the driver ) .
    (iv) as mentioned, cabinets are a hard sell on eBay / though Craigslist may be better if you're willing to almost give them away just to get them out of your hair .

- Alternately, "PM" Zilch and see if anyone from his band of merry "E-wavers" might want the cabinets for the ultimate conversion ( they might also purchase the le14s from you if they have interest in the cabinets )
    - ie; Sell the boxes over at AudioKarma to the "E-wavers" ( they'd appreciate messing with them ) .

>< cheers

Thanks for all the help and yes they are the LE85 horns and still have the red wax seals.

Thread Information