Thread: jbl L112 speaker is it worth refoaming??

jlt23

jbl L112 speaker is it worth refoaming??

My neighbor gave me a pair of JBL L112 speakers. The foam around the woofer is gone. Is it worth refoaming these speakers? or puting in a new woofer?

Definitely! Just don't screw it up by using the incorrect surround or putting it on the wrong side. The L112's 128H woofer actually came in different cone sizes. Rick Cobb will walk you through how to make sure the kits he sends you will provide the best fit for what your L112s have in them.

This is a job where you can actually produce a better result than many self-proclaimed "professionals". Check out this thread: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=26167

And, of course, if you don't want to do it yourself, there are real pros here who know how they're supposed to be done.

Many claim the L112 is one of the best, if not the best, 12" three-way "bookshelf" speakers ever produced by JBL. Do something nice for your neighbor!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Many claim the L112 is one of the best, if not the best, 12" three-way "bookshelf" speakers ever produced by JBL.
    They probably need to expand their horizons...

In any case, the L112's are worth the effort of a repair. If the current owner isn't up to the task then they'd do well to pass them on to someone else who is.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    More hyperbole with the intention of causing the newbie to take the job seriously . . . or pass them along as you suggests. Anything to give the Ebayers something to quote and cause a price boost!

I've enjoyed mine for almost thirty years, yet I actually always preferred listening to the 030s. :dont-know
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

is this an oblique vote in the L166 v L112 poll ?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Many claim the L112 is one of the best, if not the best, 12" three-way "bookshelf" speakers ever produced by JBL.
    Many claim many things...( as I'm claiming)......those claims + $3.95 will get you a cup at $tarbux
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by jlt23 View Post
    My neighbor gave me a pair of JBL L112 speakers. The foam around the woofer is gone. Is it worth refoaming these speakers? or puting in a new woofer?
    Yes they are worth it, sonically and financially.

Excellent loudspeakers, you will enjoy them very much. I say this as I recently acquired a pair myself and know what they sound like. I own more than a few JBL systems from different decades and can assure you these are very nice sounding systems indeed.

If you don't like them for whatever the reason, you can sell them for significant money, but ONLY if they have been properly repaired. If you have never done it (re-edge) I would suggest you have a good service technician do it for you. There are cosmetic and mechanical concerns involved with this repair and the woofers in your new speakers are not good candidates for on the job training mistakes as these mistakes could prove very expensive to undo.

And DO NOT PLAY THESE SPEAKERS until you have them re-edged; you can damage them this way.

Thomas

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    is this an oblique vote in the L166 v L112 poll ?
    No, neither are as "nice" as the follow up 120Ti. And Greg would very likely place his Century Gold at the top of the heap.

No, neither are as "nice" as the follow up 120Ti. And Greg would very likely place his Century Gold at the top of the heap.
    understood, but ...

I found an original ad for the Century Gold and its MSRP was $5,000.00 (assume pair) ...sort of in a whole different price category ?

yes, per pair..I found it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I found an original ad for the Century Gold and its MSRP was $5,000.00 (assume pair) ...sort of in a whole different price category?
    Yeah, I was sort of referring to JBL models that more than ten people have actually seen, heard, or owned.

The reason I keep posting, rather tongue-in-cheek, that the L112 is considered among, if not the finest, is because I once read it here on this site. Most likely coincident with someone listing a pair on Epay! Certainly in their day there were few rivals in that "class". Regardless (and that, my fellow LH-ers is the proper usage of that term), they're well worth fixing, which really was all the original poster was asking. Let me look around and see if I have anything else I can use use to stir the pot here. Doesn't seem to take much these days!

well, I was replying to 4313b's post, not really yours..
    Sure, but since his was in reply to mine and I was only agreeing with you . . .

I know if you guys had a pair of L112, you would refoam them real good ...
    that should be recommendation enough, if anyone else is still reading ..!

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hello Heather

Where did we leave the new emoticons?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information