Thread: Vintage 2-ways

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vintage 2-ways

Are the vintage 2 ways (L99s and such) still sought after? I seem to find more 3 ways and more talk of 3 ways than the older two speaker boxes. How do they sound?

They are sought after a little and do sound good. I've always liked finding stuff like the late 60's and early 70's 10, 12 and 14inch two ways as they are usually not that expensive but fun to play with. The L26, L88, Lancer 77,55 and 99 come to mind.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    Are the vintage 2 ways (L99s and such) still sought after? I seem to find more 3 ways and more talk of 3 ways than the older two speaker boxes. How do they sound?
    Hey Midlife,

I have a set of L101's (175 horns and LE-14A LF driver) and I think they are just fabulous....I use them in the rear of my main system which is fired by a Yamaha RX-V870 as a preamp and a Carver M1.5 as my amp. My front speakers are L300 Summits. Now you would think that these L300's would just blow these two way L101's out of the water but this is not the case....these L101's really bring a brilliant and warm fountain of sound into the rear of my room.... not only this but when you wanna rock the house the L101 will run with the L300 until the lights my Carver ( a whopping 600 watts RMS per channel) are hittin the top and the neighbors in the next neighborhood over are wondering if the Air Force is coming....

And yet the best performance is when I play music that is higlighted in the mid range such as James Taylor or Jim Croce or Handel's Water Music.....just marvelous! They really do have a lovely full bodied sound and very efficient producing plenty of sound with little power...

Now to boot these L101's are the prettiest JBL's in my collection with their walnut cabinets and Adriatic marble tops and handmade wood grills...the are just fine looking furniture and accent my room nicely.....have a looksy!

I think every JBL owner ought to have a set of two way JBL's....these are from 1965 and they are muy primo! Shaan
    Attached Images Attached Images     

A few more pics of these 44 year old beauties!

Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    Now to boot these L101's are the prettiest JBL's in my collection with their walnut cabinets and Adriatic marble tops and handmade wood grills...the are just fine looking furniture and accent my room nicely.....have a looksy!
    They still have the original Lans-a-loy surrounds....I treat them every year with a very gentle portion of DOT 3 brake fluid with a Qtip... I am amazed at the bass the dudes still produce...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

That's a really nice pair of L101's; very sought after and collectable.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    That's a really nice pair of L101's...

Hey Shaan, are those Lans-a-loy surrounds DOT-3 treated? If not you are missing the last octave plus of what they have to offer and more importantly when cranking them, you run a serious risk of cracking the surrounds.

Widget

Having an (a.d.d.) day are we Mr. Widget ?

Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan
    .....I treat them every year with a very gentle portion of DOT 3 brake fluid with a Qtip... I am amazed at the bass the dudes still produce...

My Model 19's sound........

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    good.

Thread Information