Thread: Is my sub dead? Making strange noises..

Question Is my sub dead? Making strange noises..

Have the 6 speaker SCS135 system for years now. Just wondering what a very low, loud, bass-like pop sound (every 5-6 seconds) in the subwoofer means; dead...?

Does this happen at all times, or only when playing loud music/movies?

It happens before anything is even playing through it; about 5 minutes after I turn on the power to the sub.

I think I would first suspect the signal chain. The receiver, amp, cabling or even power.

Reseat all cabling. Then try disconnecting the a/v receiver. If still getting popping, then try a different circuit in the house.

Are you using any pro audio gear? If so, then are you using cheater plugs for your power connection?

sub is self-powered... If it makes the popping sound with no input signal,
    (which could a problem to reproduce if it's supposed to detect an input
    signal and turn on), it's probably a dead internal amp. Does any music come
    through between pops? Green/red light status? ... not that it matters all
    that much...
    The next version(?) SCS-145 whole system can be had for $300 or less,
    so unless the purchase is still under warranty, or it's a simple connection
    problem, a solution might be to look for another, used/similar-performance
    sub.

JBL 4645
    Also the other way of determining a faulty sub is to take the sub out of its enclosure and attach a wires to its terminals and play some sound any low bass or what ever, if it still makes the popping the sub is knackered-up! If no popping is heard it’s the amp that is buggered-up!

Are you sure that it is not just turning itself on?

My Sunfire Signiture has an auto-on so that it comes on when it detects bass at the input. Power-wise, it is always left on and sits in a stand-by mode.

When it does come on, it gives a nice pop, as you would expect when a 2,700 watt amp is engaged with no real muting circuitry.

Often when we are watching TV at night and the volume is relatively low, there is not enough bass content for it to turn on. But, oft-times a commercial or something with a little hotter signal and/or more bass will come on and this will bring on the sub, with its characteristic thump. (Sometimes you about jump out of the couch.) Additionally, sometimes I'll hear it come on when the stereo isn't even playing. I attribute this to line fluxuations and/or interference getting into the wires and being interpreted as an signal to turn-on.

I'm not familiar with your system and the way it operates, but maybe you face something along these lines?

JBL 4645
    Nonsense this is lazy mans approach who ever invented the Auto On needs to be shot! Cinemas don’t use such rubbish the sub should remain constantly active when not in use there’s another invention called a switch that says OFF!

I bet he’s had it on Auto 24/7 x 365 x 3! No wonder it’s cowed up, maybe?

What was the last music/DVD material that you played on it its possible damage was done just before the end and you didn’t notice it until now!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Nonsense this is lazy mans approach who ever invented the Auto On needs to be shot! Cinemas don’t use such rubbish the sub should remain constantly active when not in use there’s another invention called a switch that says OFF!

I bet he’s had it on Auto 24/7 x 365 x 3! No wonder it’s cowed up, maybe?

What was the last music/DVD material that you played on it its possible damage was done just before the end and you didn’t notice it until now!
    If you are referring to me as being lazy, sorry, but there is no power switch to turn off even if I wanted to. My only option would be to unplug it each time. Obviously Sunfire did not design it for that and because the placement of the sub blocks the plug, that ain't gonna happen.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    If you are referring to me as being lazy, sorry, but there is no power switch to turn off even if I wanted to. My only option would be to unplug it each time. Obviously Sunfire did not design it for that and because the placement of the sub blocks the plug, that ain't gonna happen.

Nah, just the lazy designer who hasn’t heard of practical means of a switch!

Impossible to put a switch on it! Just add an extension power lead that has switch ON/OFF there problem sorted.

The most hours I’ve left it all switched on is has been (a few days at most this while doing some experiments) once done and its bedtime what ever, its all powered down.

I don’t think I have one product that doesn’t have power ON/OFF switch. You know some leave there Behringer BFQ2496 switched on 24/7 fearing it will loss all the memory of the precious EQ settings.

I haven't had single issue with the BFQ2496 memory settings.

Impossible to put a switch on it! Just add an extension power lead that has switch ON/OFF there problem sorted.

The most hours I’ve left it all switched on is has been (a few days at most this while doing some experiments) once done and its bedtime what ever, its all powered down.

I don’t think I have one product that doesn’t have power ON/OFF switch. You know some leave there Behringer BFQ2496 switched on 24/7 fearing it will loss all the memory of the precious EQ settings.

I really don't think that Bob Carver is a "lazy designer."

Not really a good idea to put a 2,700 watt amp on an extension cord switch. Most aren't made to handle the amperage.

Like I said, that's just the way it's designed.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    I really don't think that Bob Carver is a "lazy designer."

Not really a good idea to put a 2,700 watt amp on an extension cord switch. Most aren't made to handle the amperage.

Like I said, that's just the way it's designed.
    Wow at least that’s heads-up thanks. I’ll stick to ones that have power ON/OFF switch I sleep better at night knowing I’ve switched it OFF and I’m about to switch OFF now and get some catnaps. It’s late!

Look many TVs have a circuit called Instant ON - the concept is the TV is always powered up, just no signal delivered to the audio or video circuit until the remote tells it to Turn On ... no need to wait for the picture tube or any of that stuff to warm up - its fading from favor these days with LED Monitors, but Bob is hardly the inventor of this stuff, nor is he the one to blame for any of this - its the idiot consumers that can't wait a few moments to reach optimum ...
    Dang Ash - you been under a rock for the last 20 years that you never heard of any of this??

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information