greetings everyone, i'm new here so i want to apologize for making a thread out of my first post.

while looking for a specific sound for my own music, i've been gathering some recording gear for the past few years from the era that speaks the most to me (50s and early 60s), as well as a suitable and true to that era as well monitoring system. i became aware of the much loved and well regarded JBL speakers that used to be standard everywhere, especially the 4310s, and i suppose the famous L100s, to some degree.

my question is very simple..most of my records are in the vein of early dylan, nick drake, etc, mainly acoustic music, singer-songwriter oriented, and those are my favourite sounds. i see the 4310s referred to as excellent for revealing just enough mix-wise, while keeping the whole thing interesting to the ear (i'd say this is exactly what i'm looking for).

but i also hear they're better suited for rock 'n roll and 70s rock, and this raises some questions for me, as i love some rock 'n roll but i wouldn't say it's the main thing they'll be "earing", especially not 70s rock. as i'm in europe and can't try them before i buy, i was wondering if you folks could offer some opinions on this matter.

i'm basically looking for a pair of mid sized speakers for mixing as well as listening, through a Mcintosh MA-230 (not a lot of power but i like it very much). i'd say about 60% listening and 40% mixing. mostly acoustic music, old time music basically, lots of stuff with that caracteristic 50/60s sound, but also more complex acoustic stuff: think early beach boys, etc.

hopefully something as available and reasonably priced as the 4310s/L100s, if not them, assuming my assumptions regarding their talents to put out mainly 70s rock are a bit off and they're actually much more versatile than that. i wouldn't mind something a bit smaller either.

i'd appreciate any views on this. cheers.