Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What tweeter/horn to match up with JBL 2226H in 4507 enclosures?

Bms 4555 + 2381....

Quote Originally Posted by workaround1 View Post
    Thanks, Rob.

I'm overall happy with the econowave. But I'll be moving it to a pair of other speakers as I continue to experiment with the JBL 2226 in my 4507 enclosures. I'm just super happy with the JBL woofers and this enclosure and want to try various configurations.
    I heard the B&C DE250 & Pi4 crossover are very similar to the Econowave, which is why I haven't considered it much yet. I just want to try something different.

I have no problem going with a JBL top end. I'll research the two you've mentioned!
    Having all of the above, I can tell you the B&C DE 250 is a large step up from the Selenium driver used on Econowave. I also have the 4507 box, with 2235H currently installed, but also have the original 2225H as well. I am going to try the crossover out from Wayne's Pi site on this combo. He's got it flat on the 290H Eminence horn/waveguide.

Beyond this, you may want to look at Zilch and others work with the JBL 2450 SL driver......big step up money wise!

For about 8 bucks, I just picked up a nice QSC waveguide that Augerpro is using over on the AVscience forum, nicer than I was expecting.......

Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    For about 8 bucks, I just picked up a nice QSC waveguide that Augerpro is using over on the AVscience forum, nicer than I was expecting.......
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167816

If you want to stick with JBL, here is a current offering of 2425H's w/ 2345 horns that includes NEW JBL diaphragms. There again you are still over budget and will need crossovers.
    http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....-Pair-acoustic

http://www.qsc.com/products/speakers/hpr/hpr152i.htm

Mark Engebretson is head of engineering, apparently....

Thanks, everyone!

Some interesting choices here, for certain.
    I kind of like the 2425/2426 suggestion, as well am intrigued by the BMS. The problem with the BMS is I'm not aware of any crossovers designed for it?
    But the 2425/2426 I could probably just copy one of the existing crossovers such as one from a 4430 like Zilch linked to? That was kind of a confusing thread though. No BOM or anything to make it easy, like the econowave thread had.
    Though Zilch did a nice job of posting an index for it.

Not sure what I'd do about a crossover for the BMS, or how it compares against the 2426?

Looks like I'll have to up my budget a bit.

There are schematics and BOMs for several 4430-esque crossovers in or linked from the Quick and Dirty threads.

BMS I usually run using the adjustable Altec Model 19 crossover, though I don't recall ever running one on 2381; I may be able to do that in the next day or so and post it here.... :dont-know

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    For this budget doing better than the econowave looks difficult.
    With a 15" it would be in interesting to try to cross it around 1khz or even less.
    QSC does a small cheap (less than $10) waveguide that could be interesting. It is referenced at several places on diyaudio.com
    I obtained a set of these to play with, as Augerpro on AVS forum is doing a 2 way with them, called "no quarter".......pretty nice wave guide for 7 bucks.....

russellc

8 bucks, actually, Russell.

The problem with 2226H is finding a waveguide that'll mate with them, and I also have a pair on order to try.

THEN there's the issue of how much HF boost they'll tolerate. 4430 stopped at 16 kHz....

I personally am not able to hear 16k hz. At least not through my econowave speakers. I haven't tried that test tone on any other speakers before.

the problem of the HF boost done passively is that you cannot boost (in fact cut the lows) more than the difference in sensitivity between your compression driver and your woofer (not counting the global loss induced by the filter)

example in the 4430/4435 :
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=21986
    By 16K the response had dropped to about 94dB, just enough for the 93dB target of the 4430 and near enough for the 96dB 4435.
    The 2226H is rated 97dB so you will have to find a horn and driver combo that does not need to much boost.

Started to measure BMS/2381 and rediscovered that the horn is a smidge too tall to fit the available baffle space in 4507.

From the dimensions, the 10" x 14" QSC will just fit and maintain a minimum C/C (center-to-center) distance. Once those are here, and that is verified, I'll post the performance with various drivers I have on hand - JBL, BMS, B&C, Selenium.

Augerpro has already done the polars:

http://sites.google.com/site/driverv...c-pl-000446-gp

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    For this budget doing better than the econowave looks difficult.
    With a 15" it would be in interesting to try to cross it around 1khz or even less.
    QSC does a small cheap (less than $10) waveguide that could be interesting. It is referenced at several places on diyaudio.com
    And Zilch has been posting that QSC waveguide on a couple of forums with B&C DE 250. those drivers are on sale for 130 apiece, the QSC is 7.79 a pair, so for just over your budget, you can have econowave beating performance. According to Zilch's graphs, a heck of a lot more extension than 2425H or 2426H. I'm playing with this combination as we speak!

russellc

Obsolete
    According to Zilch's graphs, a heck of a lot more extension than 2425H or 2426H.
    Yeah but how does it sound?

Nevermind, I'm never going to try a pair since I'm all set. And I almost never take anyone else's word for how anything sounds anyway. Especially on the Internet!

( You wouldn't believe how many guys post how great something is, "ZOMG! Heaven's Choir!", and then six months later they are effing around with something else because reality set in. )

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yeah but how does it sound?

Nevermind, I'm never going to try a pair since I'm all set.
    Sounds like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information