Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What tweeter/horn to match up with JBL 2226H in 4507 enclosures?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Sounds like this:
    Thanks for the visual!

It looks like you are aligning the acoustic centers of the drivers in that photo of the system.

8 bucks, actually, Russell.

The problem with 2226H is finding a waveguide that'll mate with them, and I also have a pair on order to try.

THEN there's the issue of how much HF boost they'll tolerate. 4430 stopped at 16 kHz....
    Well, mine were 7.79. Are you hooking 2226H woofers up to waveguides again? I keep telling ya they roll off to early!

Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yeah but how does it sound?

Nevermind, I'm never going to try a pair since I'm all set. And I almost never take anyone else's word for how anything sounds anyway. Especially on the Internet!

( You wouldn't believe how many guys post how great something is, "ZOMG! Heaven's Choir!", and then six months later they are effing around with something else because reality set in. )
    Well, there were angels flying around the room when I turned them on,
    but that may have been a flashback from the bad brown acid at woodstock.rotfl:

I did try 2425H on them, Zilch has a picture of how that sounds too.......

russellc

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    Well, there were angels flying around the room when I turned them on,
    but that may have been a flashback from the bad brown acid at woodstock.rotfl:
    That's two Woodstock references today. I was doing my math homework when the rest of the country was at Woodstock. I'm 110% positive that I didn't miss a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    Well, mine were 7.79.
    Holy cow! Where are these things being made? Not with the usual slave labor I hope.

I'm still stuck buying the thousand dollar stuff from JBL that is being made in Northridge, U.S.A. I'm sure they will be going overseas shortly too.

That's two Woodstock references today. I was doing my math homework when the rest of the country was at Woodstock. I'm 110% positive that I didn't miss a thing.
    Holy cow! Where are these things being made? Not with the usual slave labor I hope.

I'm still stuck buying the thousand dollar stuff from JBL that is being made in Northridge, U.S.A. I'm sure they will be going overseas shortly too.
    I'll look when I get home, I'll bet its China. Everything else is.

Russellc

No harm in trying a pair of these, then.

It looks like you are aligning the acoustic centers of the drivers in that photo of the system.
    I DID pay attention, but in this case, it's just where they sit vertical without fallin' off....

Obsolete
    No harm in trying a pair of these, then.
    No but they have nothing to do with Lansing.

I thought you had finally settled on the 2452H-SL and the waveguides it bolted to?

I see where you guys are coming from:

One of the best 1-inch compression driver
    Sunday, July 13, 2008
    aces of heart from NJ
    Smooth and engaging when partnered with the cheap 18sound horn or the Renkus Heinz waveguide. Same performance of the Beyma CP-380M which costs $50 more. I like this B&C better than BMS or Radian

High performance
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008
    ttan98 from Australia
    I bought this unit 1 month ago, and I am very pleased with it, it is smooth sounding and like most compr. driver it is very dynamic. No hint of brightness or edginess even when new.

It is also compatible with the cheap PE horn(10" diameter horn), the combo sounds quite good.It is good enough to partner with more expensive horns.

Love that Italian cooking!
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007
    Bill Epstein from 70 Miles From Nowhere: Mansfield, Ohio
    Having gone thru Altec 802 and 902, JBL 2426, Eminence PSD-2002 and, most recently, B&Cs own DE-200, I can say that this is the best performing 1" format driver to date.

Lovely, extended upper treble with only a very slight "awww" coloration in female voice with both SET and push-pull tube amplification. With Martinelli Woodhorns quite close to the natural tone of the JBL 2446 2" thru 2360 horns I also have on hand. And that system needs a 2405 to get the same extension.

I'm using them for home audio perched on top of the JBL 2226 in a 4 cu. ft box, crossed at 1.6K 3rd order, 10db attenuation and extremely pleased with the result.

4 performance stars only because I haven't heard the Radian/Emilar.

Excellent drivers
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007
    Barry W from Asheville, NC
    Very good sounding drivers that provide near flat response with minimal EQ. Was huge upgrade over OEM drivers. Highly recommended.

No but they have nothing to do with Lansing.

I thought you had finally settled on the 2452H-SL and the waveguides it bolted to?
    Yes, of course, but the present question is what horn/waveguide is suitably mated with/in 4507, and this inexpensive modern waveguide fits. It's 2-bolt and mounts to 2425H/J (are all of them 2-bolt compatible like mine?), but requires adaption for use with 2426H/J; two mounting holes could be drilled and tapped into the removable driver flange for that, but the driver itself should probably be independently supported.

I'm still stuck buying the thousand dollar stuff from JBL that is being made in Northridge, U.S.A.
    There IS that, too....

Yes, of course, but the present question is what horn/waveguide is suitably mated with/in 4507, and this inexpensive modern waveguide fits. It's 2-bolt and mounts to 2425H/J (are all of them 2-bolt compatible like mine?), but requires adaption for use with 2426H/J; two mounting holes could be drilled and tapped into the removable driver flange for that, but the driver itself should probably be independently supported.
    That's the big question for me- finding a 3 bolt, low diffraction, well-designed horn. Right now I'm making my own but would love something like the QSC stuff with a mounting for the 2426h. Shame to have to go with a different driver when I have a lovely pair of these.

2452H won't fit the 235x

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    2352 and 2452H-SL maybe
    I have 2352's and 53's, and 2447,2452, and 2452H-SL's... won't bolt up, at least with 4 bolts. The throat is too wide to accomodate the 3-1/4" bolt pattern of the 2452,'s the newest 2453, or any of the 3" diaphragm 243x drivers. Sorry. You could get two opposing bolts to go through, but the other two will be skirting the outside of the wall of the wider dimension of the throat/diffraction slot.

You need a horn with no diffraction slot, or one that has the diffraction slot right at the throat of the horn, like those small metal JBL 2332 horns (90*) used in the DMS-1 and a few pro systems, or the 2333 (60*) version of it. Or, one of the later horns, like PT-Fxxxx, PT-Hxxxx, or newer -if you can get any.

Thread Information