Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SR system Radio City NYC - Moody Blues

There was a post earlier this year that discussed a sound reinforcement issue that alluded to local SPL ordinances that preclude sound engineers from cranking the system.
    With good reason. I don't know how old you are but I am in my 50's and used to carry an SPL meter with me to shows. Did it a couple of times. It was an old analog type that a top range of 110db with a +6 to top the scale off. Went to one show. When the band started up it pegged the meter at 116DB and it never came down. It was so frickin loud it was almost painful. We got the hell out of there as it was no fun at all. That's not loud that's downright abuse.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_club_sound_primer/

Have a read it touches on this issue.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I never liked the "Dead," never bought any of their recordings but did attend 6 of their shows (some outside, others inside) about 35 years ago. Friends keep giving me tickets!

My recollection was that their sound was BIG!

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    There was a post earlier this year that disussed a sound reinforcement issue that alluded to local SPL ordinances that preclude sound engineers from cranking the system.

I would like to learn more about these laws.

Our society is so regulated these days that this kind of law is totally unnecssary and harmful. If you don't like the big SPL then you are free to leave the hall. In my view, we don't need this government intrusion.
    You're forgetting the liabilities of the venue- causing damage to people's hearing is injuring them. They could potentially face lawsuits. A number of Manhattan clubs I ran sound in had SPL limits they'd enforce (or not, depending on the night). Some had an SPL meter on the wall, it looked like an LED digital clock.

je

I love NHRA Drag racing. The fuel cars burn Nitro, have +6,000 HP and cover the 1/4 mile in 4.5 seconds.

My friend went to his first event with me a few years ago. I told him he needed ear protection but he did not listen.

Anyway, I assume the SPL at these events is at least 125db - EVERYONE wears ear protection.

I don't see these venues being sued for recking people's ears so why can't the defense attorneys working for the halls having sound reinforcement fend off these frivolous lawsuits?

So how many of these hearing-loss lawsuits do ya think there are pilgrim?
    Yeah, you're not for real, are ya?

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Anyway, I assume the SPL at these events is at least 125db - EVERYONE wears ear protection.

I don't see these venues being sued for recking people's ears so why can't the defense attorneys working for the halls having sound reinforcement fend off these frivolous lawsuits?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information