Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STRANGE: Feeling Gone. Good thing?

Exclamation STRANGE: Feeling Gone. Good thing?

I'm putting this thread here under the guise of audio theory. It also has its practical implications.

For a couple of months now, I've had this feeling gnawing at the back of my awareness. Perhaps it's more accurate to write that I had a feeling that something was NOT there. It's taken me until last night to finally identify the missing feeling.

From my first stereo experience when my parents brought home the Magnavox console through my first JBLs to the Performance Series, I was always looking, always seeking, always on the prowl for the next better thing I could get.

This upgraditis is typical for audio enthusiasts, and when one has lived with it for over 40 years, it's a normal, every day feeling.

What I figured out last night is I do not currently have that feeling. I have not been following ebay, AudiogoN, craigslist, the Recycler, etc. I slowly have been selling unused or under used gear rather than buying gear. I found it easy to part with things that formerly I just felt the need to hold onto, in case I regretted letting it go, in case the next thing wasn't as good as I'd hoped and I needed to go back.

Now suddenly I find myself satisfied and spending time enjoying movies and music like never before. I spend more time with Huikyong snuggled up enjoying movies, music, and even Wii. We're playing Wii Music and Guitar Hero like maniacs.

So, fellow travelers, what do you think? Have I lost the edge? Have age and senility sapped my drive so that now I'm complacent and ready to settle for less than perfection? Am I selling out the pursuit in favor of standing still?

Have any of you found at least a temporary Nirvana, where you feel you'll be satisfied for a long time?

In theory, is it really possible to find audio bliss?

-------------

n.b.: Intellectually, a K2, an Everest II, and a Revel Ultima2 Salon are still on the map, but I have no current desire to move from the spot I now occupy toward any of them. I suppose if a pair fell into my lap...
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    What I figured out last night is I do not currently have that feeling. I have not been following ebay, AudiogoN, craigslist, the Recycler, etc. I slowly have been selling unused or under used gear rather than buying gear. I found it easy to part with things that formerly I just felt the need to hold onto, in case I regretted letting it go, in case the next thing wasn't as good as I'd hoped and I needed to go back.

Now suddenly I find myself satisfied and spending time enjoying movies and music like never before. I spend more time with Huikyong snuggled up enjoying movies, music, and even Wii. We're playing Wii Music and Guitar Hero like maniacs.
    Excellent!
    n.b.: Intellectually, a K2, an Everest II, and a Revel Ultima2 Salon are still on the map, but I have no current desire to move from the spot I now occupy toward any of them. I suppose if a pair fell into my lap...
    The K2-S9900 maybe, I can't imagine you preferring the K2-S9800 over what you have (in my personal opinion the K2-S9800 is less than the sum of its components).

As for the Everest II? It is a collector's item, no two ways about it. I can't imagine you preferring a pair to what you already have sonically.

I've never heard a pair of Revel Ultima2 Salons and personally don't care since they're missing the JBL badge. Other people have praised them.

Hey, TD,

Even though I know that my "audio nirvana" is nothing like yours, Sweet Bride and I still dearly love our L300's!! Before we got them, and for a little while afterwards, I was still seeking out and gathering other JBl components, so that I could experiment with other 3-way, and 4-way systems. But, to tell the honest truth, since we've gotten our L300's, I have not had the urge to seek something better. Yes, I do know that better things do exist, and who knows, maybe if I did create some larger system here at the house, I "might" like it better. But, for now, and for the foreseeable future, we are very satisfied, and have no desire to seek another speaker system than our L300's. I would like to continue playing with the 4645 subwoofer cabinet that I got from Grumpy, but mainly for movies, and not regular music. And, yes, I will keep the other JBL goodies, just for grins, and who knows, maybe someday I might do something will all that truck!!

I WOULD like to upgrade our electronics, however, but that's another story... Congratulations, Sir, on obtaining your own audio nirvana, and may your bliss last for many, many years!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Is perfection necessary to find "audio bliss"?

I sure as heck hope not, ... short of a cortex implant, it ain't gonna happen.

Taking a quantum jump in performance, cost, allocated space, effort, etc...
    has to (at least) buy you some audio nervosa slack time If you're lucky,
    it will stick for awhile.

funny article:
    http://www.stereophile.com/thinkpieces/300audiophilia/

So, fellow travelers, what do you think? Have I lost the edge? Have age and senility sapped my drive so that now I'm complacent and ready to settle for less than perfection?
    I know exactly how you feel... I haven't scoped ebay or Audiogon in a few years... for speakers and speaker parts at least.

When you've scaled the summit of Everest there is nothing left to do except take up diving.

Widget

First, congratulations if such a feeling (or lack thereof) brings you to a level of contentment.
    For many, the hunt by itself is cathartic and can bring a sense of accomplishment—if not purpose. For others the goal is listening and enjoying music. Many find amusement and fulfillment in doing both.

My thinking is you are spent, both mentally, physically—and financially. And for good reason given the scope of the magnificent project you just planned, pursued, and completed. I'd be depressed for you if its completion didn't bring you some satisfaction and relaxation in enjoyment after the long march. I hope the contentment lasts long after the glow has gone!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Even when I am temporarily satisfied, the mania does not die but shifts - and not far from the tree. The better my rig gets, the less I investigate reproduction equipment and the more I pursue program material. That would be music and movies. I think it is obvious that the ideal state of affairs would be an all music/no equipment mindset. Hobbyists would disagree, and I have always noticed that this website is heavier with tinkerers than pure music lovers. Life without the next project would lay most of us on a cold slab!

By sometime next year I will be personally tested in this regard. I put in much more headphone than speaker time, and I will be in possession of the ultimate can & amp rig. I will most likely go so far as to have an amp custom designed since nothing yet created quite brings out all the potential in the phones.

Call it my Synthesis Plus EII system if you will.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Even when I am temporarily satisfied, the mania does not die but shifts - and not far from the tree. The better my rig gets, the less I investigate reproduction equipment and the more I pursue program material. That would be music and movies. I think it is obvious that the ideal state of affairs would be an all music/no equipment mindset. Hobbyists would disagree, and I have always noticed that this website is heavier with tinkerers than pure music lovers. Life without the next project would lay most of us on a cold slab!

By sometime next year I will be personally tested in this regard. I put in much more headphone than speaker time, and I will be in possession of the ultimate can & amp rig. I will most likely go so far as to have an amp custom designed since nothing yet created quite brings out all the potential in the phones.

Call it my Synthesis Plus EII system if you will.

Clark
    When I was young I spent a lot time going to Hi-Fi stores, but after I got my system together this kinda went away. Then I started my record collection and spent my time listening to them. When it came time to buy a HDTV I spent about 6 months looking, but after the purchase and converting my system to a 5.0 HT, I stopped looking.

Because of my commuting on the Chicago "L" I spent over an hour a day on headphones and I don't like headphones!

Even when the CES show was in Chicago and I would go and listen to the latest speakers I didn't find any that blew away my JBLs! There were many that sounded very, very good but none that made me want to dump my current system. Everything you do costs you something, count the costs.

For years I have had about 60% of a good PA system, over the last 9 months I have been buying amps and speakers to finish it off and have about finished it. I'm at the point in my life where I want to start enjoying what I have. It's time to stop and listen to the music!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    I'm at the point in my life where I want to start enjoying what I have. It's time to stop and listen to the music!
    Thats kinda what happened to Intel...the PC's were "good enough"....no need to be caught in the constant upgrading cycle...and to MicroSoft too,,,if your OS is good enough, why spring for the latest ?

Read somewhere that Intel asked developers to write some more processor intensive apps so users wud want to get back to the upgrade cycle again.

MS forces upgrades by refusing to support legacy OS's after a while.

My stereo system is more than I ever dreamed for and am turning my back on upgrading and now just enjoying the music.. (too)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hey, TD,

Even though I know that my "audio nirvana" is nothing like yours, Sweet Bride and I still dearly love our L300's!!
    Doc
    Doc, I knew you'd be the first to respond and almost exactly what you'd say! It is in fact encouraging to me to know that you are so happy with your L300s. Your deep satisfaction with them is contagious, and the fact that it is long-lasting means that you've truly achieved your dream.

I felt that we might be at the same place, if not in the same exact situation. It's nice to think I'm possibly as happy as you.

Great post.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I

When you've scaled the summit of Everest there is nothing left to do except take up diving.

Widget
    I was thinking one day I might want to shoot for the moon.
    Out.

The "soft side" of things.

You guys are right, that getting more focused on the sound and video brings new endeavors.

Part of the time, I'm re-exploring old albums and movies, as though I've not really seen or heard them before. I'm spending a little more time perusing music and film titles on line or at Target. I'm reading scores and lyrics, pursuing video commentary, comparing different mixes and edits.

Now, I'm thinking about how I can upgrade the media side. Getting the Oppo BDP-83 helped/hurt, as it improved everything, yet also made it obvious how much better some things could be.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The better my rig gets, the less I investigate reproduction equipment and the more I pursue program material. That would be music and movies.
    So very true . . . and sad since along with the pursuit comes the realization of just how bad many recordings are!

Thanks to Clark for turning me on to some great ones along the way here on LH.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I have enough hobbies that just I cant sustain full interest in every one permanently. But I never give up a hobby completely, it might be dormant, but still there. I have a nice audio system, and just upgraded to the same Oppo Blu-ray player, and before that, JBL Performance series main speakers. I don't feel any need to upgrade anything right now, it sounds great as it is. I have been more interested in my motorcycles lately, and recently bought a new one. I'll be out on weekend rides often this year. Meanwhile my musclecars, RC stuff, and photography gear sit neglected.
    Odds are, a few years from now, I'll be neglecting the bike and taking the cars out every weekend, then a year later I'll be looking for more speakers. Or buying guns, who knows?

It's all ebb and flow isn't it? If you have reached a point where the "mechanics" of your system is satisfying, I don't think its an end, shouldn't it be a time to relax and appreciate its performance? I have too many hobbies; motorcycling (for decades), audio (for decades), recently a '99, 77k-mi. Corvette. The motorcycle as much as I have been involved with those over the years, sits quietly in the garage.

Thread Information