Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Popping HF sound!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    The Lucas thing was an old joke - ... no real harm meant, I mean - everything is better since the 70s, right??
    Even the MiniCoopers got better since then (just kidding)!

Now, back to the troubles in Bournmoth ...

The popping on your hifi, its still happening, right.
    It may be a new thing if the fridge is worn, perhaps a part like the compressor is old, many possibilities ...

IS there a way to put the audio gear on a different circuit than the fridge?

Maybe a way to unplug the fridge for a half hour or so and see if the pops stop? As long as you don't open the fridge the food should stay cold for a half hour, right?

Thinking of troubleshooting techniques before you go buy a filter ...
    Yeah its still there! I mentioned this to a friend and he agrees the fridge needs a (filter) on its end.

I’m just not in the money at the moment! I’ll have to sweat it out for a few more weeks till I can afford it.

I the meantime I’m drifting off my own topic, I’ll start a new one. The downstairs neighbour is giving me heat because of the (SPL db frequency level).

I seriously need to get this room soundproofed from floor to wall to wall all the way around! If I can reduce incoming sounds to a minimum then it should be working in the opposite way… maybe?

Okay if I can find a cheap filter I’ll spend a few bob on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Now that you mentioned the power supply its on the same circuit that powers the kitchen hence the refrigerator.
    That was my hunch, Ashley. Need to fix that.

I’m rather surprised that I haven’t tipped the (circuit breakers).
    You're not overloading the circuit - it's just the noisy chiller motor.

get a isolated transformer

Ash

I isolated all my equipment by adding an isolated 15 kVA transfomer. That'll give you 5 to 6 20A circuits. it requires a 100amp breaker off the mains, feeding a primary coil (in us=120/240V). The 2nd transformer has its own isolated ground. Then the 5 20A secondarys at 120V.

Once plugged in to the 2nd transformer, the audio equipment is COMPLETELY isolated from every mother loving fan ,computer, clock, or electrical device.

Results>>>>bingo all hums eliminated, and I have 15 amps, so it works. It also helps to use balanced audio connections only. But the you knew that.

I worked on these problems for two years, this solved all issues associated with hum and electrical interference, and is sure fire >> at a cost of 400US.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    Ash

I isolated all my equipment by adding an isolated 15 kVA transfomer. That'll give you 5 to 6 20A circuits. it requires a 100amp breaker off the mains, feeding a primary coil (in us=120/240V). The 2nd transformer has its own isolated ground. Then the 5 20A secondarys at 120V.

Once plugged in to the 2nd transformer, the audio equipment is COMPLETELY isolated from every mother loving fan ,computer, clock, or electrical device.

Results>>>>bingo all hums eliminated, and I have 15 amps, so it works. It also helps to use balanced audio connections only. But the you knew that.

I worked on these problems for two years, this solved all issues associated with hum and electrical interference, and is sure fire >> at a cost of 400US.

Hmm that’s good sounding news and I still haven’t gotten the bug sorted and I’m surprised my HF hasn’t got done in. If I have the amp turned up high for the HF side it would be curtains!

I’ll take a note of this and ask around at the nearby electrical store.

Humming on your side will be cantered around 60Hz and 50Hz over here. I can see the odd 50Hz noise filtering onto the Spectrumlab sometimes and I’m scratching my head, on pondering where the heck its coming from?

There must be dodgy lead I have or its sneaking onto the output from the AVR?

There must be dodgy lead I have or its sneaking onto the output from the AVR?
    It doesn’t happen all the time, its got a strange habit, some days, it likes to do and other days, not?? LOL yeah tell me about elusive! Huh.:dont-know

Cheers, Larry

How close physically is the fridge to your audio equipment. Maybe it's not transmitted through the power but as an RF spike created from an arcing contact in the fridges thermostat switch. Many times there will be a small cap placed across the contacts of a switch to reduce arcing.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    How close physically is the fridge to your audio equipment. Maybe it's not transmitted through the power but as an RF spike created from an arcing contact in the fridges thermostat switch. Many times there will be a small cap placed across the contacts of a switch to reduce arcing.
    It runs on the same electrical mains circuit that powers the mains plug sockets around the flat, if that helps.

The fridge is located in the kitchen next to the living room. I don’t think? There is a (mains plug) that isn’t on the same circuit that runs the (mains sockets around the flat) that I can plug it into and isolate the issue.

By that I mean a socket that is not on the same, circuit.

I can look around again and see if, I’ve overlooked something as simple that might have eluded me?

As for (arching) the heater last year, the mains supply that feeds the night storage heater, all the wiring (caked-up) wow what a mess inside LOL.

Odd this didn’t curse any noise on the sound system because it runs on different circuit.

JBL 4645
    I just chatted to my dad on the phone and he says it might need a (suppressor) and that might cost a few pounds, and then again it might not solve it.

Hmm, a (suppressor) a (suppressor). sigh

He might also think its something I’ve done. Well I’ve undone all the leads and re-checked this last year. Why the (left channel) at most its puzzling.

Now this kinder happened at last digs I was at. I wonder if it has something to do with the Marantz 1050 powering the HF or maybe it’s the Behringer DCX2496 or maybe the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX.

Or maybe cheap cables I use.

alternate solution

Exactly right @ 50/60 cycle=hum in us

Alternately you can use a Behringer HD400 hum destroyer to isolate the signal , it does a unbalanced>balanced or vice versa conversion for that equipment. It DID work as well, at say 25usd. It just got crazy after 7 amps.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HD400.aspx

An isolated transformer is the best solution, just expensive, and requires adding a 2nd electrical relay box with the new 20A isolated circuits, all to code.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

JBL 4645
    I think it would only clear up the humming that is very mild and the amps for the LF are not at full level (only what is needed for the room at present) Hum is not really noticeable I’d have to but my ear right up close to the speakers.

But still there shouldn’t be any hum what so ever!

balanced audio

Prior to getting the Integra DHC80.1 pre-pro, with all balanced audio out to the amps; I had RCA out's from a Denon 3806 , and the hum was like a buzz-saw. Here's the rub; lots of folks will give suggestions; my two references were what worked for me; the only two real solutions I ever found.
    Larry

JBL 4645
    Prior to getting the Integra DHC80.1 pre-pro, with all balanced audio out to the amps; I had RCA out's from a Denon 3806 , and the hum was like a buzz-saw. Here's the rub; lots of folks will give suggestions; my two references were what worked for me; the only two real solutions I ever found.
    Larry
    Buzzsaw! Now that doesn't sound healthy at all.

How long did it take to locate and isolate the offending humming?

I stayed up 24 hours round to the clock years, ago with a similar buzzsaw like humming. Yeah it only turned out to be the Earth lead on the TV. So I removed the earth lead and bingo no more buzzsaw!

It was producing the noise all over the front speakers!

It also seems that every time we install new PA or amp gear it produces a humming into the sound chain! sigh
    Is there a conspiracy!

tHE bUZz sAW

Quote Originally Posted by ;2JBL 464585348
    Buzzsaw! Now that doesn't sound healthy at all.
    How long did it take to locate and isolate the offending humming?

I stayed up 24 hours round to the clock years, ago with a similar buzzsaw like humming. Yeah it only turned out to be the Earth lead on the TV. So I removed the earth lead and bingo no more buzzsaw!

It was producing the noise all over the front speakers!

It also seems that every time we install new PA or amp gear it produces a humming into the sound chain! sigh
    Is there a conspiracy!
    Sir 2JBL 464585348 your post is very confusing. Are you saying the Fridge Pop Problem has been resolved. Please advise.

herki the cat
    Last edited by herki the cat; 04-11-2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: natha

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by herki the cat View Post
    Sir 2JBL 464585348 your post is very confusing. Are you saying the Fridge Pop Problem has been resolved. Please advise.

herki the cat
    No its far from being resolved!!!!

It also seems that every time we install new PA or amp gear it produces a humming into the sound chain! sigh Is there a conspiracy!
    Uh, yes there is. You have a ground loop somewhere "upstream" from your amplifiers. So, you need to find the offending piece of gear.

First - is everything plugged into the same AC circuit? You need to get all the stereo / TV gear into it's own, dedicated circuit. I don't know if that's possible (or safe...) with all your gear but do make sure no refrigerators, toasters or dimmer switches are on that circuit.

Once done, if you really want to tackle this "hum", you need to start at the end (the speakers) with everything disconnected, and work backwards, slowly connecting one thing in at a time.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Just as Bo suggests......

Ash

This is EXACTLY what I suggested, and how I fixed all ground loop issues in a multi-amp system.
    L

Thread Information