Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Popping HF sound!

JBL 4645

Question Popping HF sound!

Well I’ll cut to the chase! Basically I have this elusive popping sound on the Marantz 1050 left front HF it’s a mild popping that is cursed by the refrigerator when shutting off or is it when starting up as well.

I need to isolate/resolve this as its not a good thing especially on the HF side. I think its bypassing.

Note: it is on the start-up and shut down on the refrigerator.

I need to get this sorted.

I’ve just timed the refrigerator and undone the HF lead from the DCX2496 and waited 10 minutes before shutting off. It’s the HF left channel lead that needs sorting. Then again it might be the input left channel on the DCX2496 I’ll have to wait for the refrigerator to start-up again and undone the left front input to the DCX2496 and see which part needs sorting.

It’s a good thing the popping hasn’t buggered up HF diaphragm or at least I don’t have the Marantz 1050 up high enough otherwise I would be in trouble.

I have no clue at what the frequency is that is passing though to the HF it has to be lower than 1Khz.:dont-know

I’m not sure if I mentioned this fault before a few years ago when I was living in the sh!t hole dump. I did notice that the left side had popping issue. Maybe it’s the fault with the DCX2496 or I need a simple affordable filter to resolve this.

I have one of those (filter thingy’s) for the mains plugs and it does sod all! It’s a good thing I didn’t buy an expensive one.

It could be (one of a few items that needs isolating). Its not your typical buzzing/humming sound that is constant. This issue only starts up now and then and it can take hours to see which part of the system needs sorting.

I’ll let you know as and when I’ve sorted the issue. If I can sort it that is!

bop anyone please move to genreal forum I've posted in the wrong forum.

Thanks

Is it a Lucas refrigerator ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sounds like you need a good AC Noise filter - Plug it into the wall, plug the fridge into its outlet, and trap the noise at the source ...

Something like this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330313198398

or like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150332761316

But, of course, you need the UK equivalent ...

I had to plug my Philips HDTV into one of those to cut the power supply noise from affecting other gear in the house ...

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Well I’ll cut to the chase! Basically I have this elusive popping sound on the Marantz 1050 left front HF it’s a mild popping that is cursed by the refrigerator when shutting off or is it when starting up as well.

I need to isolate/resolve this as its not a good thing especially on the HF side. I think its bypassing.

Note: it is on the start-up and shut down on the refrigerator.

I need to get this sorted.

I’ll let you know as and when I’ve sorted the issue. If I can sort it that is!

bop anyone please move to genreal forum I've posted in the wrong forum.

Thanks
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Is it a Lucas refrigerator ?

No is not it’s not Lucas THX approved damn!

The refrigerator has just started back up again and the popping wasn’t as loud since I unplugged the HF lead from the DCX2496 earlier on, its got me thinking?

I’ve now disconnected the left input lead and now waiting for the refrigerator to shut-off.

Now listening to Madonna right channel only!

I know capacitors store and discharge electrical spikes and maybe disconnecting and re-connecting did something? I’ll find out sooner or enough, I will solve this issue!

JBL 4645
    Bugger I was just taking a leak a piss in the bog while carefully listening out for the popping sound on the HF!

I heard it just as the refrigerator shut-off! So its not the input lead to the DCX2496.

I’ll wait for it to happen again and this has been going on of months now. I’ll disconnect one of the other leads going to the Marantz 1050 that powers the overhead surrounds channels and see if its not that lead that is the curse of this issue, maybe then again maybe not.

This can take hours and why didn't I sort this out months ago...sigh

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Sounds like you need a good AC Noise filter - Plug it into the wall, plug the fridge into its outlet, and trap the noise at the source ...

Something like this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330313198398

or like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150332761316

But, of course, you need the UK equivalent ...

I had to plug my Philips HDTV into one of those to cut the power supply noise from affecting other gear in the house ...
    Yeah cheers I’ll ask D.J. Electronics later this week if he has anything like this.

If I disconnected the refrigerator or shut it off at the mains issue sorted! Then again its going to ruin the frozen food, not such a good idea.

It’s the discharge of the frequency spiking though the mains and passing along or onto the same (wall mains that’s on the same path as the living room).

Ummm, no ....Lucas Electrical Company aka..The Prince of Darkness

famous to all British car & bike owners.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Ash isn't a car (or bike) guy ...

in the 70s, Lucas electrics were worthy of excessive cursing,
    due to gross unreliability

Thus prompting jokes such as:

Q - Why do the British drink warm beer?
    A - Because they have Lucas refrigerators

I had various british cars and bikes, so I know the truth of this joke ... - (Triumph 500 and 75o twins and even a Norton Featherbed, plus MGBGT and some other dreck)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

JBL 4645

Oh, I see, that Lucas. I thought it was this guy putting electronic Gremlins into THX products to Force owners to upgrade! LOL

I do have lighter humours side too me.

Now here’s a strange one? The refrigerator has shut-off but I didn’t notice the popping. Other nights past I couldn’t be asked to notice! Tonight it started to get my attention! Now I’m listening out for it!

It’s as if it happens when it wants too?

I’ll see what D.J. has in store this week because this shouldn’t be happening.

Is it this guy who is the prince of evil? You’re a funny bugger Tom.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Ash isn't a car (or bike) guy ...

in the 70s, Lucas electrics were worthy of excessive cursing,
    due to gross unreliability

Thus prompting jokes such as:

Q - Why do the British drink warm beer?
    A - Because they have Lucas refrigerators

I had various british cars and bikes, so I know the truth of this joke ... - (Triumph 500 and 75o twins and even a Norton Featherbed, plus MGBGT and some other dreck)

Okay I get the joke now. Maybe I have Lucas parts on it?

It’s called a Fridgemaster I’ve had since more or less when I moved in, its brand new.

What I’d like to do is find out which audio equipment it’s affecting as its maze of gear all daisy-chained.

It could be one or two many items that’s prone to picking up the electrical spike noise on the mains from the refrigerator, the Fridgemaster.

JBL 4645
    Popping spike has returned!

I’ve disconnected leads from the Pioneer VSP-200 that does the left/right and more! From the DCX2496 inputs as well as disconnecting the inputs leads to the VSP-200.

See if this works!

Have switched to Dolby stereo while centre and monaural surrounds plays, Madonna!

I’m going to make some Alien noodles because this whole thing is making me feel peckish.

I’ve just noticed that most of the audio gear doesn’t have an Earth lead. Only few items has an Earth wire hmmm.

JBL 4645
    I just noticed a softer spike on the centre channel, now then! This was with the leads disconnected on the Pioneer VSP-200 going tto the DCX2496 I think I’m making some headway here.

Audio equipment with an Earth lead

Alesis RA300 (main power source for LF LCR and LFE.1 and centre back surround arrays)

Marantz 1050 and 1030 (main power source for HF LCR and overhead surround arrays)

Realistic audio mixer (mainly used a channel balancer for LCRS/LFE.1 that is independently distributed to
    Eltax A-12R sub bass for sub bass extension of LCRS) (LFE.1 is sent off via its own seprate channel on audio mixer same for the LCRS)

Behringer DCX2496 (loudspeaker management crossover system for LCR fronts)

Behringer FBQ2496 (parametric EQ for LFE.1 JBL 4645 and Eltax A-12R each channel EQ separately)

Audio equipment without an Earth lead

Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select Dolby stereo pro-logic II digital / dts / SRS (this is brains of the audio decoding)

Yamaha DSR-70 Dolby stereo pro-logic (processing the surrounds as preamp for sidewall arrays centre back and overhead surround. as well as sub bass extension)

Yamaha DSP-100 Dolby surround DSP acoustical processor (processing or acting as preamp for the centre channel and sub bass extension)

JVC SEA E-30EQ (wired in loop to double the EQ filter that is acting as hiss high frequency filter for JBL 4645)

Technics SH-8055 (EQ’ing the centre front and centre back surround arrays)

Technics SH-8058 (EQ’ing the left and right fronts)

Genexxa EQ (EQ’ing or doubling up as second EQ for the sidewall surrounds has I have huge middle band peaks.)

Marnatz EQ551 (EQ’ing the sidewall surround arrays)

Ferguson videostar NICAM725 digital Hi-Fi stereo VCR (this rarely gets used today)
    Pioneer CLD-1750 laserdisc (Gets used frequently)

Pioneer DV-525 DVD/CD (mostly used)

Cello DVD-RW/CD DR-810 (mostly used)

That’s the total rundown on what is Earth connected and what isn’t.

Edit no that didn’t sort it! I noticed the popping sound on the left front HF!

Edit: no that didn’t sort it! I noticed the popping sound on the left front HF!
    One part of the audio gear has to be the weakest link for this issue?

The two most common causes that come to mind as a result of mains power deviances are: power supply in a device passing DC into the signal and hence, to the speakers or a problem with a driver, itself, like a loose or damaged dome on a tweeter.

A couple of things stand out from your posts. The problem is now evident in the center channel so a damaged speaker is probably not at fault. You are also powering a lot of gear. Have you tabulated what kind of draw you have and if that is all going from one mains circuit? If all the gear is being powered from a shared circuit with other devices, you might need some power regulation for the audio gear. An UPS might eliminate all your troubles.

About the Lucas Electricals and Brit cars:Yes, some were problematic but to say that all Lucas branded products were of poor quality is a bad generalization, IMO. More to that issue could be the composition and nature of the wiring and lack of proper looming in those vintage of cars. I worked on many of these cars, in the day, and sometimes wish that our later models had the simplicity of their older forebearers, Lucas, or not.

JBL 4645
    westend

Interesting! I’m positive my titanium dome tweeters are intact, unless otherwise how can one found out if it is damaged because its playing fine as do the rest CR of the LCR.

I just got back from a mates and turned on the JBL system stroked my cat and the flipping popping still comes in now and then due to the fridge.

I also had so much on my mind today that I missed popping over to D.J to ask about a filter device to sort this. It’s been a really hot warm day 28° and 15° by night time.

Now that you mentioned the power supply its on the same circuit that powers the kitchen hence the refrigerator.

I’m rather surprised that I haven’t tipped the (circuit breakers).

I can’t understand why I haven’t noticed the popping on the surrounds or sub bass speakers? Some part of the audio gear is prone to receiving the electrical noise but which?

I think it’s the Marantz 1050 that powers the L/R HF what I’m going to try is by switching the lead from Marantz 1050 left HF and re-plug cables so that the Alesis RA300 powers the HF only as test to determine whether there is fault or that Marantz 1050 is prone to picking up electrical noise in the mains?

As for the Lucas thingy I seem to recall now that there was (Lucas car parts shop) in Holdernhurst Road, Bournemouth many years, oh many years its gone now its got new buildings standing on where it used to be.

Thanks for the post.

What’s a UPS I have few ideas on the last two letters Power Supply.

The Lucas thing was an old joke - ... no real harm meant, I mean - everything is better since the 70s, right??
    Even the MiniCoopers got better since then (just kidding)!

Now, back to the troubles in Bournmoth ...

The popping on your hifi, its still happening, right.
    It may be a new thing if the fridge is worn, perhaps a part like the compressor is old, many possibilities ...

IS there a way to put the audio gear on a different circuit than the fridge?

Maybe a way to unplug the fridge for a half hour or so and see if the pops stop? As long as you don't open the fridge the food should stay cold for a half hour, right?

Thinking of troubleshooting techniques before you go buy a filter ...

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I just got back ... and the flipping popping still comes in now and then due to the fridge.

I also had so much on my mind today that I missed popping over to D.J to ask about a filter device to sort this. It’s been a really hot warm day 28° and 15° by night time.

Now that you mentioned the power supply its on the same circuit that powers the kitchen hence the refrigerator.

I’m rather surprised that I haven’t tipped the (circuit breakers).

I can’t understand why I haven’t noticed the popping on the surrounds or sub bass speakers? Some part of the audio gear is prone to receiving the electrical noise but which?

I think it’s the Marantz 1050 that powers the L/R HF what I’m going to try is by switching the lead from Marantz 1050 left HF and re-plug cables so that the Alesis RA300 powers the HF only as test to determine whether there is fault or that Marantz 1050 is prone to picking up electrical noise in the mains?

Thread Information