Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on The Carmel by Altec??

Thoughts on The Carmel by Altec??

Just pulled these down from the rafters at an estate sale and nope there wasn't stairs. I was curious on your thoughts about these? I like the sound and they sure do rattle the walls. Someone mention I should change out the crossover caps..good idea? I am currently figuring out how I want to go about refinishing the cabinets, the whole sun bleach effect doesn't do it for me. If anyone has an original article/catalog/flier on them it would be great to see. Heres some photos

I don't know anything specifically about Carmels, but they look like a good project. After seeing some of your other work on AK, I feel confident that you'll be able to do something about the finish...... I've never seen bleaching like that on wood.... a cone yes, but the wood?

Replacing caps in crossovers likely isn't anything specific to the Caramels..... that's standard operating procedure for many people when "new" vintage speakers are acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooljjay View Post
    Just pulled these down from the rafters at an estate sale and nope there wasn't stairs. I was curious on your thoughts about these? I like the sound and they sure do rattle the walls. Someone mention I should change out the crossover caps..good idea? I am currently figuring out how I want to go about refinishing the cabinets, the whole sun bleach effect doesn't do it for me. If anyone has an original article/catalog/flier on them it would be great to see. Heres some photos

http://www.audioheritage.org/photopo....php?photo=257

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ghlight=carmel

Here's another interesting thread. You could do a search and find other posts on these speakers. Nice score BTW!

Nice score!!

I hope you can fix the water damage on the one cabinet.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I think that's the third base/plinth type I've seen on Carmels/Avalons.

Looks like a reveneer might be needed, even so, that's a very listenable
    combination (worth the bother, IMO).

Thanks for the links, I just went out and bought the XL size of dark walnut stain so lets see if I can get some cool on these pasty old ladys I was wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to remove the grill? I would like to attempted the inside out trick to see if the backs are in better shape then the fronts. Here is a picture of the driver arrangements.

Wow, your pictures take me back a few years. I bought a pair in 1981. Mine were much darker, like typical oiled walnut. The grilles are not removable, at least I never figured out how to do it.

Good luck, your efforts will be worthwhile.

If you succeed in pulling the baffles or grilles from the Carmel's, please
    document what you did here. I promise to do the same if I ever get to it
    (nearly identical Avalon cabs I found with modified baffles).

Well I will warn don't attempt to remove the grilles. I was going at it last night and removed the horn, and started removing the woofers, one wouldn't come out so I gave a tug well turns out the goop altec used glued the woofer to the baffle. I repaired the surround the best that I could but I tore at least an inch. So be warned to not remove the woofers. I have stated the refinishing of the cabinets, after I determined there isn't a way to remove the grille. I tried to just stain and lacquer the cabinets but when the stain was applied it look just hideous because the bleaching of the wood, it was really uneven. I decide to pull out the can of dark walnut toner and toned them dark. I will need more toner but it seem to be coming out nicely. Here is a picture of the damaged veneer, after the repair and sanding(no I didn't replace the veneer) and then a after with the toner and stain lacquer applied...still have the front and one side to do.

Well that's a very nice repair job, night and day from the damaged to the refinished look.

Well like I said I couldn't get the stain evened out so I used toner to tone it to a nice dark finish. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but I think I am starting to like it. With the faded grille cloth it looks kind of like look at my big speakers. I ran out of toner so I can't get to the other one for a while, and this one could use some touch ups on the front but looks 100% better in my book. What do you guys think?

Before

After

While I'd prefer to see more of the grain, that does look really nice! Could you tell me/us more about toner? I don't normally don't associate that word being used with wood finishing..... how is it different than a stain?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwill_HiFi View Post
    While I'd prefer to see more of the grain, that does look really nice! Could you tell me/us more about toner? I don't normally don't associate that word being used with wood finishing..... how is it different than a stain?
    Here is a good web site that explains toners and saves me a lot of typing http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...oner_Tips.html

I use mohawk toners which can be bought from radiodaze.com since its more a specialty item that has been forgotten and no one supplies anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooljjay View Post
    Here is a good web site that explains toners and saves me a lot of typing http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...oner_Tips.html

I use mohawk toners which can be bought from radiodaze.com since its more a specialty item that has been forgotten and no one supplies anymore.
    Thanks..... I still am a bit unclear on it, but I'd probably have to see it done to fully understand. For instance if the toner is opaqe how would you use a stain on top of it...... or maybe stain is only used on top of non-opaque toners?

Thread Information