Thread: L46 woofers

L46 woofers

I eebayed a pair of L46s advertised as "outstanding" and they sure looked clean. Hooked 'em up to my system and they sounded really good except for a LF intermitent very occassional scratching sound. The surrounds looked flawless. So I thought they hadn't been used for a while and maybe the cones had sagged a bit over time. So I rotated the offending woofer 180 degrees and checked for fraided conections. It was then I discovered the outer surround perimeter was completely severed. I had Orange County do a pair of 96 surrounds and I am completely satisfied with their work as the re-foam job came out both cosmetically and functionally very nice. Do L46 speakers ever come with anything other than 117H-1 aquaplas woofers from the factory? I am asking because the back of the woofers have no markings and the frame seems to be pock metal instead of a more sturdy or common cast aluminum? thanks for your experience...

The original cones were white aquaplas. You can install new surrounds very easily onto these woofers. I have done quite a few myself. Do a search on this forum for rcobb and you can get a pair of fresh surrounds but before you do, take the offending woofer out of the cabinet, set it down with the cone facing up and very gently push the cone in trying to have it remain centered. If the scratch is gone, then give him a shout.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    The original cones were white aquaplas. You can install new surrounds very easily onto these woofers. I have done quite a few myself. Do a search on this forum for rcobb and you can get a pair of fresh surrounds but before you do, take the offending woofer out of the cabinet, set it down with the cone facing up and very gently push the cone in trying to have it remain centered. If the scratch is gone, then give him a shout.

Yank
    Thanks Yank, But I can see the surround has failed as described in my previous post. As I do not have the expertise to do the repair myself, I will be sending them off. Any tips are defintely appreciated. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    Thanks Yank, But I can see the surround has failed as described in my previous post. As I do not have the expertise to do the repair myself, I will be sending them off. Any tips are defintely appreciated. Thanks again!
    I had all 6 of my L46 woofers re-foamed with Rick Cobb foam surrounds, work was done by a friend's shop in NYC. Rick did ask a question about my particular cones before sending the kits, something about whether the cone edges had a lip or continued with the cone angle- so, maybe there are multiple cone types for that model #.

je

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post

Yank
    I missed your point on the first read. I got it now, thanks

I learned how to perform surround installs with this woofer and never had an issue. Rick sends you a test tone (30 Hz) CD, detailed instructions and the correct glue.

I have never had to shim mine as a clean and level work surface and gravity worked like a champ.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Thread Information