Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Drummers

Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    Dude, you forgot Omar Hakim!
    Amazing

I really like Airto too. What a performer!

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/airtomd2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Look in this thread http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24705 for some tabla players. How could we discuss non Western drumming without tabla? Speakerdave, feel free to help out here.
    Agreed. Been listening to Zakir Hussain on this album recently. Amazing drumming, with Charles Lloyd:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/...arland_sangam/

Can you recommend a Sun Ra recording with John Gilmore drumming?

Bill Stewart

Dave Weckl

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph856 View Post
    Can you recommend a Sun Ra recording with John Gilmore drumming?
    I wish. I have only seen/heard him drumming on some video snippets here and there. The records of the period are not replete with exact credits and the big band nature of the Arkestra could be a free for all of who played what, and when.

Not to recommend it, but in desperation I have sometimes turned to file sharing to obtain less well known clips. I wonder if YouTube is thick with Arkestra clips. I haven't checked. I do remember Gilmore explaining, in one of the more famous documentaries (If I remember which one I will let you know!), how Sun Ra told him he needed a new drum, a different one, not a replacement, and he carved it out of a tree struck by lightning right across the street from the Arkestra's house in Philadelphia. An all too brief clip tantalized with John playing it with two large hooked clubs with round "feet" for striking surfaces. His sense of rhythm, timing and percussion were what you would expect from a great Jazz musician.

No wonder Jack DeJohnette can play great piano. If you have it you have it, period. I know a local musician who has it and then some. He is phenomenal on vibes, piano and drums. Whatever I hear him play, he becomes my favorite on. I am afraid to ask him what else he plays. Me, I don't have it.

File sharing can be frustrating when you find something that is too short and can not be identified as to exactly what performance it was. The best drumming I have ever heard is one such two or three minute section from some live performance by Armando Peraza.

I can share that tonight on the way home from work WGLT played "I've Found A New Baby" with Lester Young, Buddy Rich and Nat Cole. Everyone was playing beyond outrageous. I guess Prez would have been one hundred today.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I believe that documentary was 'A Joyful Noise' and I think you may be mixing up John Gilmore with James Jacson . Marshall Allen was playin over here only a few weeks ago at Cafe Oto but I missed it, unfortunately. Not sure I'll get another chance seeing as he's 85 . But i digress...

http://homepage.uab.edu/moudry/jacson.htm

No maybe about it, revise all drumming references from Gilmore to Jacson. Both reed players in the Arkestra, but I sure did mix them up.

Being a voracious reader and a generalist, my brain was filled up twenty years ago. Ever since, things have been a bit confused as old memories make way for new and get mixed up in the process. Now that I am actually old it is not getting any better.

Thank you for the correction, I appreciate it. You are a fan of Sun Ra? I personally feel that Sun Ra's bands were the best Jazz groups that ever played a note.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Been into Jazz since a teen in the late seventies (anywhere from Crusaders to Coltrane) but somehow managed to remain uninterested in and pretty oblivious to Sun Ra in all that time, despite my friends loving him. Watching A Joyful Noise has changed all that though! Definitely a fan now .

David
    Main: PC (optimised) ->U2 Sabre async-> Slagleformer-> Job 225-> L96-> SVS SB12NSD. Bedroom: Audio-GD NFB6-> LCR 6328P

I'll confine this to Rock and Roll drummers

DJ Fontana

Al Jackson

Howard Grimes

Earl Palmer

Ringo

Charlie Watts

Tommy Ramone

Mitch Mitchell (IMO by far the best of the "busy" rock drummers)

Corky Laing

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post

Mitch Mitchell (IMO by far the best of the "busy" rock drummers)
    NO! That would be Moonie! I do like Mitch though.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    NO! That would be Moonie! I do like Mitch though.
    Moon was sloppy with poor timing but Mitchell was precise. I saw the Jimi Hendrix Experience only once but I saw the Who many times and IMO Mitchell was a much better drummer just in simple terms of Drummer 101---being steady; Moon reminded me of a guy who wanted to run before he could walk.

Regards

Some of that's true about Moon, but still I feel he was a more exciting drummer, and brought more to rock drumming overall than Mitch.

16hz lover
    Terry Silverlight

Moon was sloppy with poor timing but Mitchell was precise. I saw the Jimi Hendrix Experience only once but I saw the Who many times and IMO Mitchell was a much better drummer just in simple terms of Drummer 101---being steady; Moon reminded me of a guy who wanted to run before he could walk.

Regards
    I will say though Tom that with Mitch, he was overshadowed by Jimi. I mean everyone in his bands were...it was always just 90% about Jimi.

With Moon, about 2/3 of seeing the show was watching him freak on the kit and then kicking the crap out of it , while Roger tried getting attention by acrobatics & whatnot, and Pete with his windmills and guitar smashing, and Ox standing still on the side but pissing Roger off constantly by running his bass up too "loud".

Who said "violence" never accomplishes anything?

Ritchie Hayward

http://www.littlefeat.net/index.php?page=news&n_id=611

I came accross Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" album last night and it reminded me what a great drummer Ritchie Hayward is. Did a lot of backing vocals as well. I just found out on Little Feat's wed page that he has liver cancer. Very, very sad! There is a link to an ebay auction to help him with expenses.

Regards
    I have to agree, he was never one of my favs for the reasons you mentioned. Too much booze and dope, but hey, maybe he played better lit than sober?

Thread Information