Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL/DP Days of Future Past

JBL/DP Days of Future Past

The first album I ever played on my brand new L100s in 1970 was by Deep Purple. In fact the first three albums I played were by Deep Purple:

Shades of Deep Purple
    Book of Taliesyn
    Deep Purple

Over the years, every JBL I've owned had to pass the Deep Purple Test, and I've logged more Deep Purple hours on JBLs than any other group.

So, I was pleased to see this:

http://www.jblpro.com/press/august09...iBikeWeek.html
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The first album I ever played on my brand new L100s in 1970 was by Deep Purple. In fact the first three albums I played were by Deep Purple;

Shades of Deep Purple
    Book of Taliesyn
    Deep Purple

Over the years, every JBL I've owned had to pass the Deep Purple Test, and I've logged more Deep Purple hours on JBLs than any other group.l
    been having fun with
    Shades
    & Purple Passages

love that lead into Hey Joe

First LP ever purchased was Days of Future Past

could never afford JBL's until much later than you
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Had every Moody Blues lp until Katrina washed that and much more away. Back when those lps were selling first runs I was listening to them with a Pioneer receiver, RTR speakers, and a Sony belt drive tt.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Out.

And I just purchased the remastered multi-channel releases of the classic Moodies albums (wore the grooves off my LPs many years ago). They took the old 4 channel QUAD mix RR tapes of Children's Childrens Children, Lost Chord, etc, touched them up very slightly, and released them in SACD hybrid mode ... multichannel or conventional play ... couple of them are in the 2 disc Special Editions packaging
    (Like the Who's Tommy SACD in the pix - I blame Subwoof for the Tommy thing - got 4 different copies now!
    Original, Japanese Remaster, and the SACD surround version! - plus some weird bootleg of "the Tommy Demos" - studio outtakes and such)

I like them a lot - tho the depth of the surround varies a bit -

And to blame this thread (blame Seawolf!!) - when I bought them a couple months back,
    "On the Threshold of a Dream" was out of stock -
    When I checked tonight, it was available, so I've just ordered it!

I had a vinyl copy of Purple Passages inna day - even liked some of it ... now Hush!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

...went to my first concert in 72/73 time frame ... Deep Purple in NYC... the venue was as smallish forum w/ 10,000 seats or so - I forget the exact location now.

ANyway, I'm fairly certain the sound reinforcement was Altec/Crown.

My ears were ringing for several days. I asssume the SPL was a whopping 120 or so!!!! I've never been to anything that loud since.

If anybody would own a Purple LaserDisc, it'd be you...were there any?

je

I went to a "Summer Jam" mid '70s in City Park Stadium (New Orleans). The bill was; Jeff Beck, Aerosmith, Eric Clapton, and ZZ Top. Don't know what they were using but it was rediculously loud and it was outside. On the ride how I turned on the car stereo and couldn't hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ...went to my first concert in 72/73 time frame ... Deep Purple in NYC...
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    And I just purchased the remastered multi-channel releases of the classic Moodies albums (wore the grooves off my LPs many years ago). ...I had a vinyl copy of Purple passages inna day - even liked some of it ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    First LP ever purchased was Days of Future Past

could never afford JBL's until much later than you
    The first album I ever played on my brand new L100s in 1970 was by Deep Purple....
    Man....you people are really really old !!!...... did they have cars back then??

Just kiddin ....I saw Deep Purple in ABQ in 85.....I was 18 yrs old...and it was loud.... ears ringin for days.... Shaan

Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    Man....you people are really really old !!!.
    Did I tell you that my oldest JBL system is over fifty-years old and we've never lived apart since it was brand new?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Man....you people are really really old !!!...... did they have cars back then??

Just kiddin ....I saw Deep Purple in ABQ in 85.....I was 18 yrs old...and it was loud.... ears ringin for days.... Shaan
    In 1972, I was 10 years old, my uncle had just gotten married, got a new co-op apt, and had these JBL Century L-100,s, with orange foam grills, and a Fisher receiver. He had a Dual TT, and a JVC 8 Track!

He used to let me bring my * track tapes, and albums, and 45,s to his place, and listen on his stereo.

Jackson 5 - Stop The Love You Save

Rare Earth - Get Ready

Marvin Gaye - Let's get It On

Incredible Bongo Rock Band - APACHE

Doors and BEATLES albums.

My uncles neighbors weren't that in love with me, though! Didn't know why either! OK, maybe I was a LITTLE LOUD!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Did I tell you that my oldest JBL system is over fifty-years old and we've never lived apart since it was brand new?
    Wow Beamer....thats a cool deal! As you know, I am a JBL newbie....I have only been collecting for about 1.5 yrs....

It happened to me when this gal gave me a free pair of Altec Carmels.....took them home thinking I would put them on EBay for some fast $$$.....hooked up in the garage....WOW!..Then I brought them into the living room and connected them to my A/V receiver and the wife and I watched a few movies and listened to some music....then my wife said, "your not gonna sell these are you?"....hooked ever since.....

Now I have 4313b, 4333a, 4343b, L40, L86, L112, L100, L300, L101, L65a, Altec Carmel, 604-8G's in 620 cabs, Altec 605A's, Santana, 886A.....Klipsch Heresy Blonde......all in better shape than they were when I got them BTW....I did some diggin around, and some restoring and I am into the whole gig for less than $10K....I have them at the office at work, office at home, 3 pairs in the living room, 3 pairs in the den, downstairs in the sitting room, in the garage, and now at my mom's and my dad's and my daughters.....now they are lovin the hi-fi too....

Now folks ask...man, what are you gonna do with all those?....and I say, "listen to them"....then they look at me like I am wacky....and then I tell them this story about how I am learning about what I like....truth is , I cant part with any of them .....what man in his right mind would sell a set of 4313b's? whatta ya think I'm nuts?

Yes I am nuts alright....I just hope I dont catch Dome's Performance Series or Synthesis disease ....or worse yet, JBLaddicts longing for Everests.......I assure you I cant afford it.....

No doubt your old JBL's are the cats meow!....and I am sure that is a Hi-Fi experience you have enjoyed for these fifty years....

Shaan

Of course there were cars! I had a 1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie 500 Fastback. Sweet ride. It had a nice AM radio with a 5x7 speaker for those wonderful moments when "Hush" was playing.

No JBL auto sound then, though. Jim Fosgate was just getting real car audio going.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5l...ple-hush_music
    Out.

No doubt your old JBL's are the cats meow!....
    Some are and some aren't as much. It's all been enjoyable.

My '67 VW Bug had an 8-Track inside the glove-box door that went into the trunk. I couldn't stand AM radio!

LX22, L20T, L1, L26, L80T, L96, L5, L112, 4412A, L7, L150A, 030, 4345-BA
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information