Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Les Paul, dead at 94

Les Paul, dead at 94

I'm sorry to announce that Les Paul died from pneumonia complications today. He was a big influence for me.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    he lived a good life from all i've read/seen, may he rest in peace

a True Innovator

That is sad news indeed, he was a real nice guy & could still tear up the guitar that bore his namesake better than most of today's "talent".

Just Play Music.

Wow; that is sad - a true American hero; right?

I suppose the value of these units from the 50s - 60s will now increase greatly.

Are the Les Paul guitars still being made?

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I suppose the value of these units from the 50s - 60s will now increase greatly.

His namesake guitars have always been expensive, the 50s & 60s models even more so. I believe they are still being made, re-issues and all, I cant see why they would ever stop production of such a classic.
    It & the Strat are the first to come to mind when you say Electric Guitars & rightly so
    Just Play Music.

Here is a CNN report of his death:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Musi...aul/index.html

Apparently, he lived in White Plains NY which is next to my town of Hartsdale.

Hey, All,

Sad news, indeed. He was a legend, and influenced more guitar players than probably anyone else, in one way, or another. He will be missed, but at least we have his music, and our memories of his stellar career and life! God Bless Les Paul, and his family!

Respectfully,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Wow, this sucks. I was lucky enough to see him a number of times, even attending one of his birthday parties. Damn shame.

Buy the Legend & Legacy box set, it's worth it. Buy Chester & Lester, if you can find an import.

je

Sure, and more popular than ever. Gibson uses the name on anything from a USA-made Gibson to Chinese made Epiphones, and the "Les Paul" signature has even appeared on the SG line, as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul

Despite my best intentions, I never made it to the Iridium to hear Les play.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Les practically invented the electric guitar and amp as we know it. His innovations in hardware, and in recording hardware and technique shaped the entire industry. When he saw a need for some little gizmo to put between his guitar and amp, he invented one. The list of stuff he created is long, and resulted in things like reverb, fuzz, etc.

Beyond the invention/creation of the electric guitar, Les will always be remembered for being among the first to record in multi-track. There are at least two good videos about him that have played on PBS, and if I recall correctly there's a section of Tom Dowd's DVD devoted to Les, as well, showing him using his 4412As in his home studio.

http://www.lespaulfilm.com/
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmast...ing-sound/100/
    http://www.thelanguageofmusic.com/
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Here is a CNN report of his death:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Musi...aul/index.html

Apparently, he lived in White Plains NY which is next to my town of Hartsdale.
    That's where he passed away. I think he lived up in Mahwah NJ,

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That's where he passed away. I think he lived up in Mahwah NJ,
    As I recall from the TV shows, he was driven from his home in (I thought) Connecticut to Manhattan every Monday night to play at the Iridium in Manhattan. That would have been near White Plains, close enough!

Whoops! The PBS interview seems to be from two-years ago and says:
    This day, he will do two one-hour sets at the Iridium, sign autographs until midnight, do two radio interviews and eventually turn in back in Mahwah around 8 a.m.
    In it Les also says:
    “I sign lots of boobs.”
    I always intended to go one Monday night on my NYC trips, but I just waited too long!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    As I recall from the TV shows, he was driven from his home in (I thought) Connecticut to Manhattan every Monday night to play at the Iridium in Manhattan. That would have been near White Plains, close enough!

Whoops! The PBS interview seems to be from two-years ago and says:
    In it Les also says:I always intended to go one Monday night on my NYC trips, but I just waited too long!
    I have a video of one of his shows from Fat Tuesday's, it's a good representation of what those night were like. I think there's also some of the trio stuff from Iridium on the PBS DVD.

He was often very irreverent at the shows, either making sexist or racist jokes about audience members. Kind of a rascal. Usually had killer guests sit in, too- I've seen Roger McGuinn, Scotty Moore, Jeff Baxter, Gatemouth Brown, Bucky & John Pizzarelli, and others I can't remember right now.

je

Great man. Great musician. Great technician. Great innovator. Great life. Great legacy.

Great loss.
    Out.

Thread Information