Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec Boleros

Henry----Well I wouldn't go so far as to say the Boleros are head and shoulders better than the small Klipsches, both are very good. It's a difference more of flavor than of quality.

Great report...

Tom - thanks for the comprehensive report. Especially since you've put them in a bookshelf (proper) position - I didn't have the means to, and that would certainly enhance the bass response, as intended.

Widget - I loved watching those 10-in phase inverters all through High School - the start of my stereo-addiction!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Zeke

Corona: was there a bigger model?

I've recently seen something Altec using what appears to be the woofer and tweeter from the "Corona" but adding a passive radiator in a "Bolero" design structure. As such, no horn driver or uniquely shaped -- per description -- woofers but similar in size and shape. (I don't recall a model number.) What gives? It actually just looks as if someone added a radiator to the Corona. Anyone know a model number and/or specs? Thanks!

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

Bolero 890A

I just got a pair of Altec Bolero 890As... S/Ns 755 & 776

one of the 406s had been reconed in '85 according to the gentleman I got them from... dustcap is different, but the cone seems almost identical, except darker (I will post pics next week)

been listening through a Pioneer SX205 reciever to various XM radio channels...

so far so good, I like them, expecially for "bookshelf" speakers

very reminiscent to the A7 tone I have in the basement... but much, much smaller...

Quote Originally Posted by HenryW
    Dang it Tom - I thought we finally had you at the best bookshelf with the Heresy...

I guess I'll wander up the road and look at a pair (with 3.5 pair of Heresy I guess another bookshelf won't hurt) of the Bolero. I may be a hard sell....
    Henry, have you gone out and tried these speakers yet? BTW, thanks for posting that site. I am a very green n00b in this vintage thang but things are moving fast. I am going to be bringing home a set of Altec Valencias this weekend and was thinking the Bolero may be a nice complitment to set up on the bookshelf.

My Boleros are presently being used to play an electronic drumset and digital piano through, also for some mono hi-fi listening. Using a little Behringer mixer, Teac T-amp and a rooty-kazooty Sony DVD-CD player.

At first I feared they'd give up the ghost used this way but they're doing fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    I thought they sounded better laying on their sides when I was listening to them... better HF dispertion IMO

judging from the scuffed veneer on the bottoms (if they were oriented like in your picture), I guess the original owner had them oriented like yours...

mine are going to be the "monitor" speakers in my home DJ set up.

Tom, how did the Chicago guy end up in Lexington??

Mike----After the Sox won the Series there was no more reason to stick around Chicago. ;-)

My folks, 81 years old, live in Lexington and I wanted to be near. And I was tired of Chicago, 57 years was enough.

Lexington is just right in size and very civilized, very nice place. And I got a new 3300 square foot house for $250,000, nice house too, my father went there every day and bird-dogged the builders.

The only hassle is that us Long Knives have to watch out for Shawnees and other intruders from north of the Ohio. :-) Well, I don't have much hair left anyway, nobody will bother taking my scalp back to Detroit for the British bounty.

We should meet at Parts Express some day, go out and get a loose meat sandwich.

You're too funny! I do like Lexington. Prior to my current unemployment, I went there monthly on business. I like Louisville, too. PE trip, good idea.

Thread Information