Thread: What are they? E130H or D130H or what

What are they? E130H or D130H or what

I am attempting to identify a pair of speakers so they can be sold for their owner on eBay. It's a long story but the owner's girlfriend is afraid that the flux from the speakers will interfere with the owner's (92 year old) pacemaker... and she doesn't want that to happen.

Anyway, I have attached pictures of these.

The aluminum label shows model D130H / ser# 10651.

On the cone is an initial that looks something like J R and written in felt marker is clearly E130H.

They don't appear to have been reconed or it's the best recone job I've ever seen.

Anyway, is this a D130H, an E130H or something else.

(They would be from the 1960's or 70's most likely.)

I sure appreciate any help you folks can give.

Thanks in advance,
    George Graves

(PS these were replaced with a pair of $5000 speakers, but John likes these better... but he likes his girlfriend better than the speakers.)

That is interesting. It's listed on my parts list, but I've never seen a "D130H". Basically, its an E130-8 with a different model number...it's also factory original. Any dates written on the bck of the cone?

The frame and ferrite magnet are from the 1980's. What did it come out of? It seems to me that maybe it was an OEM model for an amp manufacturer...or a very short lived discreet model.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

It's okay if the anwser to "the girlfriend or the speakers" is "the girlfriend" but if you let the gilfriend know that, it's all over with.

Homebuilt cabinets DIY speakers

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    The frame and ferrite magnet are from the 1980's. What did it come out of? It seems to me that maybe it was an OEM model for an amp manufacturer...or a very short lived discreet model.
    This is from a hand-built cabinet. The owner could pretty much have whatever he wanted, speakerwise, but he kept these over all others as his "listening" speakers. I have sold NHTs and Energys for him, I know that he bought and then discarded Meridians after he had these. He spent what some people would consider a fortune on speakers, but he always came back to these because these sound more musical to him at low volume.

I'm surprised that they are from as late as the '80s. The styling of the cabinets they come from is definitely earlier.

These would possibly have been sold as DIY speakers. They are paired with a 2400 crossover and then a tweeter from Speakerlab. The tweeter has been definitely changed from the original, probably to get the sound he wanted, but these are the "originals".

I can't find a date on the cone, though.

Thanks for the answers and questions.

George

The D130H was only in production for a couple of years (1979-1981) as part of the Loudspeaker Component Series (LCS). It was strictly a ferrite conversion of the previous Alnico D130 that was undertaken because of the cobalt shortage of 1979. In the same manner, the 136A became the 136H, LE15A became LE15H etc. For all intents and purposes, it is identical to the 70's era D130 with the exception of magnetic motor.

In 1981, JBL completely revamped their LF driver lineup and discontinued the LCS for home sales. It resulted in such new drivers as the 2235 and 2225 replacing the 2231H and 2220H. Among the drivers dropped from production, were the extended range D130H and D208H. However, the ruggedized musical instrument version, the E130, continued on. For a short time, the E130 and D130H were both in production at the same time and thus were distinct models.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...omp/page09.jpg
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    The D130H was only in production for a couple of years (1979-1981) as part of the Loudspeaker Component Series (LCS). However, the ruggedized musical instrument version, the E130, continued on. For a short time, the E130 and D130H were both in production at the same time and thus were distinct models.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...omp/page09.jpg
    Thanks for the history, Don...that explains it nicley.

By the looks of the photos posted, the 'E130-H' marking on the back of the cone, and the 'm-roll' cloth surround...the only difference between these two models is the label. Everything else is identical.

After looking at the LCS Catalog from 1979 in the LH Library...it states in the specs that the voice coil is "edgewound copper". I wonder if that's a typo and should've stated "edgewound aluminum" since the D130, K130 and E130 voice coils are aluminum wire....The recone kit for the D130H is C8RE130 according to my recone parts list.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Many thanks...

Now I can put these back on eBay with certainty. I removed them when another eBayer questioned whether they were D130's or E130's or what.

Thanks for the answers and the questions and especially the spec sheet and the dating.

It's great to run into people that actually know what they're talking about... it's a bit uncommon these days.

Regards,
    George

Thread Information