Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just back from all-day Everest DD6600, K29900,S4600,TS8000,TS6000,4348,LS80 Auditions

Just back from all-day Everest DD6600, K29900,S4600,TS8000,TS6000,4348,LS80 Auditions

Hi All, this is what I would classify as the JBL listening experience of a lifetime, not just for the systems heard, but the setting and circumstances. I am on some business travel this past week and had a free day (Sunday) in the Tokyo area, for years of reading the forum, I promised if I ever got here this would be the first thing I sought out, and it turned out to be a full jackpot.

Same place as Don posted in 2006 but with updated equipment, in Shinagawa outside Tokyo, and in the Akihabara "electronics district" at Dynamic Audio, 7 floors in a dumpy unsuspecting building (dynamicaudio.com), each with multiple rooms of listening and one showcase set per. Across the street was AR store in Don's post.

Long story short, spent about 2 hours in AR, listening to the 4338 (best JBL set in the store), TS8000, TS6000, LS80, among some B?W and others. No one in the store, played through many a disc with quite a bit of patience. The 4338 was simply ridiculous, the The S4600 amazing and a close second, the TS800 beautiful but not as nice, suprisingly, as the S4600, the TS6000 very disappointing compared to many other similarly sized sets next to it, I was in complete awe having full access to systems I'd read about for so many hours, and suddenly being able to heard almost unlimited, all together--bliss is a huge understatement but pales to what came next.

Walked across the street to Dynamic Audio, up to the 7th floor, and well, insanity. I immediately saw the Everest in the private room and asked the 25yr old kid if I could listen, he pointed, nodded and in I went. He left me in there for 2 HOURS with the full rack of CDs and 100K worth of electronics powering the D6600, didn't come in once to check or say a word...it was CRAZY.... there really aren't words to describe what this L100, L5, L7 owner was feeling during that time. Music simply cannot be at any point in the past, current or future, any more breathtaking. I'm going to spare the words for now, because they simply will do no justice. My work companion who knows JBL from Circuit City fame and thought I was crazy wanting to search this brand out, just sat with his mouth open as the set with a 6,000,000 Yen price tag pounded out Jazz, Abba, Elton John, Sade, Michael Jackson and so on. He then started to tell me about his friend with the B/W 801s and how this absolutely buried them. Somehow out of guilt and a desire to see the K29900 on the floor below we said goodbye and dropped down a floor. There sat the K2 and a sea of McIntosh equipment playing some garbage new wave, lightly. I asked if I can change the disc and put on Dark Side of the Moon--Time, and turned it up. Think Everest but less impact, I think in part due to the wide open untreated room (unlike the Everest room). Spend another 90 minutes thinking to myself, how am I going to leave this room, and opportunity that I know will not come again, and that so many others would absolutely kill to have? I was hard but after 3.5 hours there, plus the 2 at AR, just had to go....so I did, glowing the entire train ride back to the hotel. I'm still a little speechless and unable to articulate how this differs from any other experience, in particular the Everest, which I somehow assumed would just be an overpowered K2. I'm going to cut this off for now and get some rest, I took an insane amount of pictures and video, and need to find time to upload etc (not sure how to do the videos here?) for those interested in the shots.

In closing, one thing that really really stuck in my mind was that the 15" woofers added so much presence to the music but had none of that overwhelming hum/thump when overblown, or not positioned well, it was in a word, perfect, unlike anything I've ever experienced, and second the use of the UHF supertweeter at a relatively low, audible xover point, adding a holographic airy, VERY APPARENT, third dimension that you could feel going through you on every track--this was a dimension of sound no mid/tweeter combo I've ever heard, including the many many B&W I heard today with that great tweeter, could even come close to reproducing. Today was a great great day, but also sad in that I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to go back to avg normal sets now that I've swallowed the "blue pill"

I've dreamt of a day where I might buy be able to buy an TS8000, S4600, or S4800, but knowing the Everest is out there, I feel I'll be haunted knowing even $10K only gets you a fraction of the way. A blessing and curse of a day maybe?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    In closing, one thing that really really stuck in my mind was that the 15" woofers added so much presence to the music but had none of that overwhelming hum/thump when overblown, or not positioned well, it was in a word, perfect, unlike anything I've ever experienced

It kind of makes you wonder about all the folks who have never heard a pair bitching and moaning on the Internet about the published specifications doesn't it?
    Today was a great great day, but also sad in that I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to go back to avg normal sets now that I've swallowed the "blue pill"
    Yeah, I hear you...

thanks for sharing your experience!

when i heard the everest this summer it was in a very bad sounding room at a high-end fair and it sure wasnt anywhere near the perfect setup for it (it was on a "sarturday").
    but what i remember is how impressed i was by the simple coolness of the musical appearance, and how "oldschool" it sounded -oldschool in the best sense! the operator played some very well chosen tracks, and mixed quite a few very old recordings into the session -and it did never sound antique as expected, but always extremely natural and, well, just relaxed and cool.
    for me the everest is a totally oldschool design. some things might have changed in the meantime but that doesnt mean that they have gotten any better... listening to the most enhanced oldschool-speaker in the world sure told me what a real speaker has to look like.

my friend visited the same shop i tokyo as you last month and listened to the K2 99oo for some time. since then he asks himself how he can live without it.

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

From fantasy back to reality!

I hear you!!! How can you listen to your own system after hearing the best???

I would love to hear a pair of DD66000's myself someday if I ever get the chance.

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Hi, JBLAddict,

Congratulations on your extreme good fortune to be able to listen to the real SOTA from JBL these days!! A rare happenstance, indeed!! I would dearly love to hear a pair of DD66000 one of these days, but know that, if it actually came to pass, I'd be figuring out how to get $61,000+ of "disposable income" so that I could own them!!! Again, congrats on your "Nirvanic" JBL experience, and thanks for sharing it with us! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thank you for that wonderful write up.

Since you referenced The Matrix.

Here, take a cookie. I promise, by the time you're done eating it, you'll feel right as rain.

And by the time you get back home, your L7s won't seem near as bad.

-----------------------

Great report BTW. Looking forward to your further posts.
    Out.

does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to post the videos? They're low quality taken from a cell phone but suprisingly allow you to feel it just a bit. The pictures will just that, nothing not show hear before but a tape of a demonstration, even at low quality is somewhat rare.

Obsolete
    I'm still a little speechless and unable to articulate how this differs from any other experience, in particular the Everest, which I somehow assumed would just be an overpowered K2.
    Oh hell no.

Remember that thing called Project May? Basically S9800 components with two extra 1500AL's tossed in for good measure? Did it ever get built? I won't say anything further until the last of the S9800's are sold.
    does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to post the videos? They're low quality taken from a cell phone but suprisingly allow you to feel it just a bit. The pictures will just that, nothing not show hear before but a tape of a demonstration, even at low quality is somewhat rare.
    YouTube?

does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to post the videos? They're low quality taken from a cell phone but suprisingly allow you to feel it just a bit. The pictures will do just that, nothing not show here before but a tape of a demonstration, even at low quality is somewhat rare.
    Videos?
    Load them up on YouTube and post the link in here ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Great report...

I look forward to your pics and vids.

...I don't doubt the new JBL systems are very good.

Unfortunately for the Harman company and its shareholders, I think their pricing is indicative of a company that is out-of-touch with reality and their consumer base.

Sure they can sell these a few of these ultra high priced units to a few ultra high net-worth consumers, but does that promote growth in its businesses or just growth in eletism?

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ... I think their pricing is indicative of a company that is out-of-touch with reality and their consumer base.
    There have already been remarks, for example:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...&postcount=264

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Unfortunately for the Harman company and its shareholders, I think their pricing is indicative of a company that is out-of-touch with reality and their consumer base.
    JBL consumer base ?? is there one anymore ? (dont know abt Harmans consumer base ..they dont really sell much that I want)

as I evaluate the forum...most prefer the L-series or 43xx/44xx over anything affordable produced in the 21st century by JBL.

I spend 3 hours the other day talking to an audio enthusiast who has been in the US for 10 years and likes to buy new. He said that in his thinking.. (having never used L-series) that..JBL and CV were twins. (not much of a recommendation)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

WOW, I'm glad you had the chance!

The last time I had an experience like that was in 1963 went I got to spend 3 hours in an Allied Radio demo room loaded with most of the JBL product line of that era.

Thread Information