Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown Amps

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    With 3db amp. headroom, 105db (continous) and 4m from the speakers. Without any room gain included in the calculation: 637w required (if I remember correctly that sensitivity of M2 is 92db).

Source: http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

I think the DCi 4|600N would work fine for normal situations.
    Yes, I understand the link you provided, but, don't understand about "normal situation". It dosen't take into account for the room acoustics.

You can always turn the knobs down to your desired sound level, it has nothing to do with how much power you put into the loudspeakers. Proper gain structure is also important.

For my 4429 and the setting I have in my Crown DCi LevelMax Limiters is like this...

RMS Threshold (V rms) at 35.0 Volt

Thermal Voltage at 49.0 Volt

According to my specs of 4429, 200Watts RMS

https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j...85076809,d.d24

Hi,

I have had the fortune to test many different amps including some high $$$ power houses.

Last desert walk was in the HiFi desert with Rotel, McIntosh, Krell and others. Albeit that there are many very good amps out there the impact of amps compare to the speakers and the room is in mho reasonable small.

Without doubt some of the PA amps have other focus that sheer sound quality, whereas the very best can combine them. Like always, you get what you pay for.

After wandering in the desert of amps and the vast amount of opinions accompanying them I returned to Crown last year. I settled for the Crown CTS series which I would argue combine sound quality with reasonable power output. Not outrageous in any dimension, but good sounding and also measuring good.

I have had the chance to A/B them to other amps with significant higher and lower price tags and find them very good for the price. In fact I cannot measure or hear a meaningful difference to the very expensive HiFi amps I have auditioned in my system.

When comparing sound equipment it is very important to use a Type 1 calibrated sound pressure meter to make certain that the level is exactly the same as our ears are very sensitive to level changes. Even 0,1db is noticeable when A/B testing so a “Radio Shack” sound pressure meter won’t be good enough. Here is where I personally think many A/B testers go wrong weather it is testing amps or cables. The measuring gear is not up to the task. –And lab standard measuring gear is expensive so it is easy to understand and accept that many “testers” try to compensate with perceived ability to differentiate the one cable from the next by hearing. From my point of view it is often the case that sound level changes is being interpreted as sound quality changes.

It may be my ears or my speakers/system that is sub-par and I can accept that, but my measuring rig is not. 

Anyway, long story short. With a good and well-designed amp, preferable deep bias class A/B to my ears, I think the room and the speakers have much more impact.

Kind regards
    //RoB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Is there a lot of fan noise with the CTS?

What model do you have? As far as I've understod the ibigger models are class I and the smalle one are class ab.

I've considered them also but they are quite expensive here, but 120v versions are very chea on ebay.

Hi Baldrick,

The CTS series has fully variable fan speed so at low levels the fans do not run at all. And if you are in need of the fans you won't hear them anyway.

That was really a prerequisite for picking them, albeit that I ended up with installing them in a different room to get the amp rack out of sight for my wife.

I have a couple of CTS4200's and CTS8200's and plan to swap my MC2 sub amp for a CTS3000 when I find one used.

The CTS A/B amps are very quiet and well behaved in my opinion. Don't know about the CTS3000 as it is a class I amp. -Should be fine to feed my SUB1500's.

I’m all active XO so the CTS goes direct to the 2451 drivers and there is really very little background noise even with the high sensitivity and 8ohm Truextent dia’s. You really have to put the ear into the horn to hear it.

The current MC2 is a serious class A/B amp that puts out a healthy 1150W RMS in 4 ohms. There is really no need to swap it but I want to keep all the amps within the CTS “family” .

There are probably many other amps out there that are equally good or better but I found these to be the best compromise for me.

And since I’m 5.2 / 3-way fully active I need many amps. Here the multichannel units are perfect as you get the same behaviors and sound into all elements.

Kind regards
    //RoB

I just got a Crown XLS 1000 and I am very happy with it. Only 11 pounds. The internal fans don't come on even under hard use and it has RCA inputs as well as balanced. The amp has internal crossover and mode switches through a front panel that can be done on the fly. You can run one channel hi pass nod the other low pass for even more flexibility as well as mono mode for more power.
    Im done with ancient amps that use NLA parts. I plan to buy one or two more of these since they can be strung together. Mine is the lowest output at 200 a channel and they go to over 500 in other models.
    the sound is dynamic and clean. Highly recommended.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Mctwins
    Some Crown amps in our system, Me and my twin bro's Bobeccas.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Mctwins
    Some more....

Just updated my HT at home .
    :-)

Talking

My home theater has the "light version" of what was just posted
    Name:  2013-02-25 23.57.18.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  175.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    My home theater has the "light version" of what was just posted
    Name:  2013-02-25 23.57.18.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  175.3 KB
    Impressive picture - can you break it down? What's in the rack? (damned spellcheck!)

I see 5 crown amps in the lower part; a pair of CTS 2000 and 3 CTS 1200 ...
    What are the 5 pieces above them?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Impressive picture - can you break it down? What's in the right ...

I see 5 crown amps in the lower part; a pair of CTS 2000 and 3 CTS 1200 ...
    Yeah one CTs2000 channel pr. sub (4 S1S-EX) and one CTs1200 amp pr. LCR (SK2-1000 with bi-amp settings). Then a BSS Soundweb London DSP and some crappy Behringer amps for surrounds. Would like to get this one for surrounds: http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/amplif...drivecore.html (8ch version).

I really like the Crowns. I would like to have the new DCi|N because of the digital connection between the DSP and amp.

Nice,

Looks pretty much like my setup.

What BLU are you using, can't see in the picture? I'm on a BLU800 and a BLU-BOB like you. I feed mine digital signal from a 7.2 pre.

I also use Crown CTS amps, a CTS8200 and two CTS4200's. Subs are handled by a MC2 T2000. Also in a rack :-). Planning to swap in a CTS3000 when I find a used one at a decent price.

I personally would stay away from the digital amps if you want to feed drivers and/or tweeters. At least in mho. -At least test first. I have had a few digital amps, including Crowns, and found them a bit harsh compared to ordinary AB units. I think it's the ADC conversions that is difficult, especially at low listening levels.

OT
    I happen to have a spare CTS8200 in Stockholm if of interest. And heading to Copenhagen next week on business. :-)

//RoB

That is enough amps to power Europe and hear it from here!

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    Just updated my HT at home .
    :-)
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    Nice,

Looks pretty much like my setup.

What BLU are you using, can't see in the picture? I'm on a BLU800 and a BLU-BOB like you. I feed mine digital signal from a 7.2 pre.

I also use Crown CTS amps, a CTS8200 and two CTS4200's. Subs are handled by a MC2 T2000. Also in a rack :-). Planning to swap in a CTS3000 when I find a used one at a decent price.

I personally would stay away from the digital amps if you want to feed drivers and/or tweeters. At least in mho. -At least test first. I have had a few digital amps, including Crowns, and found them a bit harsh compared to ordinary AB units. I think it's the ADC conversions that is difficult, especially at low listening levels.

OT
    I happen to have a spare CTS8200 in Stockholm if of interest. And heading to Copenhagen next week on business. :-)

//RoB
    Hallo!

I just want to say that I don't feel or hear any harshness in my 4429 or in my bro's 4312E with the Crown amps.

Must be your room acoustics that gives the harshness sound.

Hi Mctwins

Nothing can replace your ears and that is what should matter the most to each of us.

The fact that JBL vent with Crown Itech's for the new M2's, and everyone seem to agree that they sound fantastic in that system, clearly indicates that digital amps can be an excellent choice. So far I have not read any reviews with the alternative offered with ML analog amps.

From my experience and with my ears/setup I found the analog units to suit me better for driving high sensitivity compression drivers and tweeters. For mid and bass it seem to matter significantly less. It is in mho more audible at low listening levels. It will of course differ from speaker to speaker and also I'm on an all active system where there are no filter components inbetween the amp and the driver. So maybe the amps I have tried would perform better on other systems. This are just my personal view here, no fact or sience involved.

I still think the older A/D converters is the root cause. I don't have any A/D conversion in my system as the data is kept in the digital domain from the CD (or other) all the way passed the DSP and is convered to analog just before the power amps.

However, maybe the newer units have overcome this (if it indeed ever was there) and in all hounesty I have not heard the Itech's in a contolled environment and set upnfor HiFi. Given the quick move into the digital domain within HiFi, i'm probably just lagging behind the curve... .

if it aint broke, don't fix it

//RoB

Thread Information